For sale/want rid of a 98 MGF non-VVC, breaking?

For sale/want rid of a 98 MGF non-VVC, breaking? was created by bandu

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #104452
Hi guys, I bought a MGF for peanuts at the end of last year off a local lad who had given it some stick with a view to do some work on it, maybe sell it on, maybe try and track it, but I'm having to move it from the only place I can store it so I'm pretty much offering it here for sale. I might be willing to break some parts off it before it's scrapped but it would be a shame as it's pretty solid underneath and I hate seeing good metal get cubed off to China...

Basically I will put this as honestly and concisely as I can;
It is a 1998 1.8 non-VVC with 72,000 on the clock and 9(?) owners
The engine has water in the oil and has dropped its water more than once apparently, one of the two coolant pipes under the car have resin on them at two points
It turns over (starter sounds weak though) and runs but as it doesn't hold its' water it doesn't get run.
The flexi has a blow as well, which makes it sound like a merlin engine
The electrics were bodged before I got it because of one of the dreaded battery drains, so the boot and bonnet lights are cut. This obviously didn't fix the issue so I fitted a battery isolator which works fine.
Immobiliser and fob still works fine
Tyres on one side go down after a couple of weeks, and although they have good tread all round they have been sat flat for a while, and also the stock wheels were badly painted black and has mostly flaked off. They weren't prepped before the paint so should polish up to silver again
The back bumper has a crack in it from "a wall", but nothing else seems particularly bent
The PAS sensor needs altering as it's easier to steer to the left than the right

A long list of negatives, but I can tell you that;
The hood is tear-free (but the rear window is misty)
The interior is generally good (bar the gear gaiter, which was knifed out to tighten a sloppy change) and comes with an aftermarket head unit
The lights all still work and are in good nick, as are they electric windows, interior lights, roof catches etc.
The car was waxoyled from new and still has a good finish underneath, no signs of any structural rust, the only mucky areas being the rear lips of the front wings and the side vents.
Full tool kit and unused full size spare
Generally straight doors, boot, bonnet, front bumper etc.

I really need rid of this car, so I'm open to any offers for it to be taken away, I only paid £250 for it so I'd be happy with anything really, it must be said that it is far from roadworthy but it might be a lot of use for somebody.

Any response at all would be great, I don't know if it's worth more than the scrap value at all. If there's no interest here it will be put on eBay next sunday starting at 99p but ideally it needs to be shifted as soon as possible.

Reg is S170 AYS if any checks need doing and my telephone number is 07719321067 which you can catch me on at any time.
I can take any other photos you would like etc.

Ben

by bandu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bensewell
  • bensewell's Avatar Offline
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!

Replied by bensewell on topic For sale/want rid of a 98 MGF non-VVC, breaking?

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #104491
Only thing I need is the thin rubber strips that go on the wheel liner as the TF doesn't have these for some strange reason

Replied by benham on topic For sale/want rid of a 98 MGF non-VVC, breaking?

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #104492

bensewell wrote: Only thing I need is the thin rubber strips that go on the wheel liner as the TF doesn't have these for some strange reason

Those little rust traps?
Regards,
Andy
by benham

• bensewell
  • bensewell's Avatar Offline
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!

Replied by bensewell on topic For sale/want rid of a 98 MGF non-VVC, breaking?

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #104495
There meant to keep water out

Replied by cairnsys on topic For sale/want rid of a 98 MGF non-VVC, breaking?

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #104503
I could use the square plastic bracket that holds the gear lever gaiter in place from underneath the console if you would take the trouble to get it out.

Robin

Robin ;)

Replied by benham on topic For sale/want rid of a 98 MGF non-VVC, breaking?

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #104508

bensewell wrote: There meant to keep water out

Like the head-gasket?

From what I've seen they appear to trap moisture and promote corrosion.

You can have my ones for twenty notes delivered if you're after some.
Regards,
Andy
Last Edit:11 years 4 months ago by benham
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by benham.

Replied by 160steve on topic For sale/want rid of a 98 MGF non-VVC, breaking?

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #105139
Location? Maybe interested in the whole thing.

Replied by pendle lass on topic For sale/want rid of a 98 MGF non-VVC, breaking?

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #105140

160steve wrote: Location? Maybe interested in the whole thing.

steve with the fact the guys only ever put one post on I think you'd be better off ringing him

Time to create page: 0.511 seconds