For sale - billet alloy handbrake button - on eBay

For sale - billet alloy handbrake button - on eBay was created by Blow-in

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #105007
For reasons too tedious to go in to I've ended-up with 2 alloy handbrake buttons (both paid for) so I have one to shift.

It's a nice match for the original alloy gear knob:

I'm looking for £8 by Paypal to include 1st class UK postage....less than I paid.

Fitting takes a couple of minutes. The old plastic button can be wound out with pliers or a plumbers grip (using a cloth if you want to avoid marks) and the new button goes on with a bit of lubrication and a light tap with a rubber mallet or a hammer and a block of wood.

If you want it, PM me and I'll give you my email address for a Paypal payment.

Richard

1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

Last Edit:11 years 4 months ago by Blow-in
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 4 months ago by Blow-in.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bensewell
  • bensewell's Avatar Offline
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!

Replied by bensewell on topic For sale - billet alloy handbrake button

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #105016
I have a chrome one on my blue TF but couldn't work out how it comes off so left it on it looked like it was part of the handbrake mech so left it.

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer

Replied by bensewell on topic For sale - billet alloy handbrake button

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #105025
Taken from :http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com

To take the knob off do the following:

"If, like me, you own an early MGF, or an F or TF without the 'Chrome Pack' option, you'll have a gloss black handbrake button. All very well, but it looks a little dull - especially if you have any other bright metal trims in your car's interior - as I did. Rover's hand brake button is chromed steel. I little brighter than my brushed alloy theme. Therefore I opted for Mike Satur's alloy handbrake button (pictured opposite).
remove_HB_button.JPG (11544 bytes) To fit, you must first remove the original button. Certainly, on my car, this button is an interference fit to the ratchet release rod inside the handbrake handle. To remove, rotate the button (use a rag and a suitable pair of plyers), and then slowly withdraw the button.

It eventually becomes loose enough to be withdrawn by a gentle tug on the button using your fingers (pictured opposite).
handbrake_button_removed.JPG (15523 bytes) You are then left with a handbrake without the button. Look inside the handbrake, and you can see the ratchet release rod (opposite). The Mike Satur handbrake button is drilled with a slighly smaller hole, which is tapped. There is no thread on the handbrake ratchet release rod, so persumably, the thread in the replacement button is there to provide grip onto the release rod.

Tap the replacement button into the handbrake using a soft-faced hammer (if you don't have one of these, use a block of wood to cushion the impact of a metal hammer)."

Replied by Blow-in on topic For sale - billet alloy handbrake button

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #105028

bensewell wrote: Taken from :http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com

To take the knob off do the following:

"If, like me, you own an early MGF, or an F or TF without the 'Chrome Pack' option, you'll have a gloss black handbrake button. All very well, but it looks a little dull - especially if you have any other bright metal trims in your car's interior - as I did. Rover's hand brake button is chromed steel. I little brighter than my brushed alloy theme. Therefore I opted for Mike Satur's alloy handbrake button (pictured opposite).
remove_HB_button.JPG (11544 bytes) To fit, you must first remove the original button. Certainly, on my car, this button is an interference fit to the ratchet release rod inside the handbrake handle. To remove, rotate the button (use a rag and a suitable pair of plyers), and then slowly withdraw the button.

It eventually becomes loose enough to be withdrawn by a gentle tug on the button using your fingers (pictured opposite).
handbrake_button_removed.JPG (15523 bytes) You are then left with a handbrake without the button. Look inside the handbrake, and you can see the ratchet release rod (opposite). The Mike Satur handbrake button is drilled with a slighly smaller hole, which is tapped. There is no thread on the handbrake ratchet release rod, so persumably, the thread in the replacement button is there to provide grip onto the release rod.

Tap the replacement button into the handbrake using a soft-faced hammer (if you don't have one of these, use a block of wood to cushion the impact of a metal hammer)."

Ben,

I agree with this method. The alloy button I'm offering has no thread (like the original plastic) and just needs a gentle tap to locate.

I've attached another picture to show the button in context...it was a very bright day so my apologies for slightly blowing-out the highlights.

Richard

1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

by Blow-in
Attachments:

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: Render ebay item Invalid or non-existent item ID.. Please enable debug mode for more information.

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer

Replied by bensewell on topic For sale - billet alloy handbrake button - on eBay

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #105241
I've got it in my watch list no one best outbid me or I'll whack you with a Barnsley Chop.

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer

Replied by bensewell on topic For sale - billet alloy handbrake button - on eBay

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #105243
I'm at £2.20...

Replied by midlife martyr on topic For sale - billet alloy handbrake button - on eBay

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #105259
I sent you a Pm last Wednesday :-?

Replied by pendle lass on topic For sale - billet alloy handbrake button - on eBay

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #105264

bensewell wrote: I've got it in my watch list no one best outbid me or I'll whack you with a Barnsley Chop.

I dont want it but im going to bid anyway :P

• bensewell
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #105265
you nasty dog woman.

Replied by pendle lass on topic For sale - billet alloy handbrake button - on eBay

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #105266

bensewell wrote: you nasty dog woman.

:woohoo: :spank:

Replied by Blow-in on topic For sale - billet alloy handbrake button - on eBay

Posted 11 years 4 months ago #105270

midlife martyr wrote: I sent you a Pm last Wednesday :-?

So you did and I missed it somehow....I thought I'd get an alert in my normal in-box and I didn't but I may be confused with another (non-car) forum where that happens. My apologies!

I'm inclined to let the eBay auction run - it always annoys me when items I'm interested in are pulled early.

by Blow-in

Time to create page: 1.857 seconds