MGF Restore Help Needed.

MGF Restore Help Needed. was created by MG_Roadster

Posted 14 years 10 months ago #4033
As most of you are aware I have a rather poorly Green Abingdon which requires a fair amount of work to get her back on the road. And as some of you are aware my dad had been toying with the idea of an F (he is a rover coupe Nut and I have finally swayed him to look at an F. My dad would like the car and as he is retired and doesn't have a lot of Cash himself to do it up.

The 3 stumbling blocks being .

1 a new Engine (by new I mean recon or second hand)
2. It will require a new roof.
3. It will require a bit of body work :) ok a bit more than a bit.

So my questions are this

1. Does anyone know of anyone with a reasonable second hand 1.8 MPI engine and Head. Just has to be standard with reasonable mileage on it.

2. Hood replacement I have tried everywhere to source a hood in Camel SDecond hand but looks like it is a losing battle would it be blasphemous to change the colour of a hood on an Abingdon Model? Would Green or Gray be so Bad?

3. Bodywork. Dr dial has given me a reasonable quote for the bits I need paint on but there are 1 or 2 dents on the wings thay need sorting but as they are paintless removals can anyone assist in this at all.

I have put up what I can to help the old man but mu financial situation has changed dramatically over the last 6 months or so I can't just shell out for the new bits I would have liked to. Anyway enough of my poor finances.

Any pointers offers of help would be rewarded in what cash I can muster and copious amounts of Beer/wine/spirits when finances improve to permit.

D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic MGF Restore Help Needed.

Posted 14 years 10 months ago #4035
Hi mate!

An "Abingdon" -super & surely well worth a restore to former glory!

I know Christmas is comming and credit cards are probably starting to glow and of course I fully appreciate your joint financial circumstances but .........

Have you run an approx. "top end budget" for this project?

A second hand engine plus fitting, say £700.00 tops

A new or decent second hand soft top, (any decent colour for the time being) say, £500 tops

Bodywork, say £1000.00

Unforeseen allowances, say £500.00 tops

A total of £2,700.00, (no doubt a potential spend in excess of the car's value?) for a very special car.

On a credit card @ approx. 2 1/2% or £67.50 per month (£33.75 per month / £7.78 per week each if you split costs with your Dad).

Obviously you've got to build the purchase cost of the car into the equation but if for example, if the wheel comes completely off financially - you can always sell the car (GULP!) which if put back into good order - should "fly off the shelf".

I've spent over £4000.00 (on credit) on my 1996 BRG (1.8vvc) and althought "Stealthbat" is still in my garage awaiting my further TLC I think "the Bat's" been worth every penny.

Can I afford it? NO. Is my wife, (Dublin Irish) happy? NO. Do I feel satisfied? YES. YES, YES!!!

In my opinion, there are very few things in life worth going the extra mile for therefore, WHY NOT? (think of the big smile of your Dad's face as he puts his medallion on and gets in the car!!).

The rest of the gang will probably shoot me down in flames, especially "The Ashington Stalker" but I'm sure that my layman's "guestimates" can be trimmed back/down by all the clever buggers in this forum!

Good luck mate!

Richard
by a Guest

Replied by kara on topic MGF Restore Help Needed.

Posted 14 years 10 months ago #4036
Oh crap hun can't believe she needs a new engine. Have you spoken to VVC Steve?

If it were me, I'd call it quits, get rid of the Abingdon and buy a cheaper F as I think it's going to be a lot of time & effort to do things you want to do on the cheap if that's even possible. And from the sounds of it time is something you really don't have. Sometimes it's better just to suck it up and take the loss in the short term rather than lose out even more in the long term. Being a family man & with christmas coming up you really don't need to be focusing on this. I'm probably in the minority but I would call it a night on Abi.

Having said that, if there's anything I can do to help or if you need anything from Goldenwheels parts wise then just ask and it's yours. :)
by kara

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Replied by cjj on topic MGF Restore Help Needed.

Posted 14 years 10 months ago #4037
Now you're just picking on me.

You should get a 50k engine for around £500. I picked up a VVC/gearbox/subframe for £500 on e-bay.

I also bought a soft top from these guys for £150. http://www.the-t-bar.org/showthread.php?t=31
Worth giving them a ring.
by cjj

• gos
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • X Black Beauty X

Replied by gos on topic MGF Restore Help Needed.

Posted 14 years 10 months ago #4047
by gos

Replied by MG_Roadster on topic MGF Restore Help Needed.

Posted 14 years 10 months ago #4049

Yves Adele Harlow;4036 wrote: Oh crap hun can't believe she needs a new engine. Have you spoken to VVC Steve?

If it were me, I'd call it quits, get rid of the Abingdon and buy a cheaper F as I think it's going to be a lot of time & effort to do things you want to do on the cheap if that's even possible. And from the sounds of it time is something you really don't have. Sometimes it's better just to suck it up and take the loss in the short term rather than lose out even more in the long term. Being a family man & with christmas coming up you really don't need to be focusing on this. I'm probably in the minority but I would call it a night on Abi.

Having said that, if there's anything I can do to help or if you need anything from Goldenwheels parts wise then just ask and it's yours. :)

Thought about that but I may as well spend the cash on what I have rather than spending out more money and then finding I still need to spend more. I was very close to breaking her last week but as it's an abingdon I cant Bring myself to do it.

CJJ;4037 wrote: Now you're just picking on me.

You should get a 50k engine for around £500. I picked up a VVC/gearbox/subframe for £500 on e-bay.

I also bought a soft top from these guys for £150. http://www.the-t-bar.org/showthread.php?t=31
Worth giving them a ring.

I'll have a look Thanks It's a shame because the rear screen is perfect

Gos;4047 wrote: why not get in touch (mention the forum) and make a deal on this; (for starters)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MGF-FREELANDER-ROVER-1-8-ENGINE-ONLY-42K-MILES_W0QQitemZ260489880011QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3ca66821cb

Thanks I have been looking Just cant find £450 at the moment also there is a logistical issue as most people only offer collection on engines :mad:

• gos
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • X Black Beauty X

Replied by gos on topic MGF Restore Help Needed.

Posted 14 years 10 months ago #4100
such a flipping shame we missed this, absolute bargain just for the roof and engine; (ok the engine is seized but could be salvaged)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290372483402&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

it shows what can be done if you remain vigilant tho.

as always good luck getting it sorted. :)
by gos

Replied by MG_Roadster on topic MGF Restore Help Needed.

Posted 14 years 10 months ago #4161
Now that is a shame Could have took what i needed from that and sold the bits to pay for the body work.

I am hoping to have her restored by March April at worst for Mg live 2010.

Watch this space.

Time to create page: 0.775 seconds