Holes in floor!

Holes in floor! was created by swerving

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #5407
Ok so it's a dry day here... at last So I have folded back the carpet in both footwells and removed all the different pieces of sodden foam, to notice... a hole in the floor each side, close to the holes that appear to be plugged with grommets.

Anyone know if these should be here unsealed? can't really see anything below them so the don't appear to go outside. The water doesn't appear to be getting in from beneath the dash area as there is no sign of it running on the foam behind the pedal area and same the passenger side.

Foam is currently spinning in the washing machine, and I'm getting a very strange look from Carole!!!!

Oh whilst at this I noticed a piece of masking tape that had been left from previous bodywork, just a wing replacement I would guess.

Peter

Older but certainly not wiser!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Adam-Mgtf on topic Holes in floor!

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #5421
lol at the fome in the washer... where are the holes? i know theres 2 holes in the fuel tank area, think there there for drainage, not sure why there would be some into the interior though!

Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Replied by adamelphick on topic Holes in floor!

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #5423

Swerving;5407 wrote: Ok so it's a dry day here... at last So I have folded back the carpet in both footwells and removed all the different pieces of sodden foam, to notice... a hole in the floor each side, close to the holes that appear to be plugged with grommets.

Anyone know if these should be here unsealed? can't really see anything below them so the don't appear to go outside. The water doesn't appear to be getting in from beneath the dash area as there is no sign of it running on the foam behind the pedal area and same the passenger side.

Foam is currently spinning in the washing machine, and I'm getting a very strange look from Carole!!!!

Oh whilst at this I noticed a piece of masking tape that had been left from previous bodywork, just a wing replacement I would guess.

Peter

Do you mean that little hole in the raised section? If so that's just a hole in that piece that lets the heat and smoke out when they spot weld it together (And is also useful to squirt waxoil in too!).

If you water is not coming in the traditional air box way, then I'd suggest the cheater is leaking badly, or you are getting water in from the rear and that is sloshing from behind the seats to the front.

I would dry it all out, then spray WD40 liberally all over to dispel any moisture (including inside that hole!), then wipe it all off after half hour of sitting there... it will leave a thin film of itself on the surface to stop water penetration being as bad if it gets wet again.

Replied by swerving on topic Holes in floor!

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #5424
Thanks for the replies, it seems as Adam suggests, the holes are 'designed' in. Car is now in the garage drying out what I couldn't easily remove. Carpets behind the seats seem quite dry and as there seems to be a square cross member beneath the seats I can't see how water would slosh from back to front or vice versa. What is strange is both front footwells are as wet, so either both cheaters leak badly or there is another problem.

I forgot... I did have the windscreen replaced but with a superficial check that appears to be fine.

The foam attached to each wheel arch is damp at the bottom, where it appears to have soaked up from the floor and around the steering column, where it goes through the bulkhead seems ok.

I did the plastic tubing mod to the cheater seals and no sign of water coming round the mirrors.

Just have to do more checking and eventually use the garden hose I guess.

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #5429

Swerving;5424 wrote: Thanks for the replies, it seems as Adam suggests, the holes are 'designed' in. Car is now in the garage drying out what I couldn't easily remove. Carpets behind the seats seem quite dry and as there seems to be a square cross member beneath the seats I can't see how water would slosh from back to front or vice versa. What is strange is both front footwells are as wet, so either both cheaters leak badly or there is another problem.

I forgot... I did have the windscreen replaced but with a superficial check that appears to be fine.

The foam attached to each wheel arch is damp at the bottom, where it appears to have soaked up from the floor and around the steering column, where it goes through the bulkhead seems ok.

I did the plastic tubing mod to the cheater seals and no sign of water coming round the mirrors.

Just have to do more checking and eventually use the garden hose I guess.

Windscreen replaced eh? Not 'Autoglass/AutoWindscreens' was it? I had one replaced on Meg and it leaked like a sieve along the top seam, which then ran down the side! I only noticed one day when I was sat in the pouring rain and heard it dripping! Also had one of their de-laminate in the sun with air bubbles forming in the silicone sandwich!

Replied by swerving on topic Holes in floor!

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #5485
Oh Thanks Adam!

Yes it was Autoglass that replaced it in May/June, so worth checking that. I will have to sit in the car while Carole sprays the garden hose on it I think.

Foam is nicely dry now but I am sat at work so can't do anything today!

How was it resolved with Autoglass? did they admit responsibility and replace it?

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Replied by cjj on topic Holes in floor!

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #5511

Swerving;5485 wrote: I will have to sit in the car while Carole sprays the garden hose on it I think.

That'll get the neighbours wondering. ;)
by cjj

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #5534

Swerving;5485 wrote: Oh Thanks Adam!

Yes it was Autoglass that replaced it in May/June, so worth checking that. I will have to sit in the car while Carole sprays the garden hose on it I think.

Foam is nicely dry now but I am sat at work so can't do anything today!

How was it resolved with Autoglass? did they admit responsibility and replace it?

Finally afre many complaints they replaced it at a different fitting garage - When they took the side plastic trims off inside the black sealant was all over the place and squeeged everywhere... right shoddy job it was!

Time to create page: 0.512 seconds