MGF Reliability

MGF Reliability was created by Davem

Posted 10 years 9 months ago #135238
As you may recall I have been busy with a MGF that had a failed head gasket. Its now fixed and simply a pleasure to drive :drive:
I wish to use it a lot in the future and want to make it as reliable as possible for a 98 model car.
What sort of things should be checked, replaced to make it so.??
It has had new HG, timing belt, tensioner, water pump.
New Alt and air con belt. Low level coolant alarm fitted. New coolant reservoir cap.
Old rotor arm and leads were very rough looking so new Dist, rotor and leads have been ordered.
This week I will be ordering then replacing several coolant hoses that look a bit soft and old.
Is there anything else that should be checked or replaced ??? Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

[IMG]ht[/img]

Last Edit:10 years 9 months ago by Davem
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Davem.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Blow-in on topic MGF Reliability

Posted 10 years 9 months ago #135246
Congratulations on all the work you've done. Sounds to me that you've tackled the major items.

I've replaced my wiper blades linkage as these are known to fail without warning - certainly one of the links (the one behind the motor) was dodgy....however, our climate is slightly damper than yours so it may be that you have an almost unused system? If you do want to replace the linkage eBay UK has several MG Rover repair kits or you can go the whole hog with an aftermarket one such as by Mike Satur.

Another weak area can be the heater resistor pack or the actual knobs which tend to become brittle. As well as all the alloy aftermarket knobs you can get stainless steel bushes/collars that fit the originals and keep it all together.

Richard

1.8i Mk2 Solar Red, 16 inch square spoke wheels, MGFMania hood with zip-in glass rear window, DRLs, Kmaps ECU, Pipercross panel air filter, MGOC Supersports back box & some cockpit bling

by Blow-in
The following user(s) said Thank You: Davem

Replied by helsbyman on topic MGF Reliability

Posted 10 years 9 months ago #135286
look at your sub frames for rust

BILSTIEN DAMPERS, 4-2-1 MANIFOLD, HEAD WORK BY SABRE.

Replied by Rich in Vancouver on topic MGF Reliability

Posted 10 years 9 months ago #135419
Inspect the cable ends on the gearchange cables under the gearbox. They contain a rubber diaphragm
that can deteriorate when contaminated with oil. The added stress of the failed joints puts extra strain on the cables...Which are an absolute pig to change! :pinch:
While you are under there you can inspect the rad and heater hoses and suspension bushings.
Last Edit:10 years 9 months ago by Rich in Vancouver
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by Rich in Vancouver.

Replied by really? on topic MGF Reliability

Posted 10 years 9 months ago #135420
under floor coolant pipes can rust quietly to themselves, as does the radiator. :yesnod:

i think with the work you've done, plus checking the cooling system is good, you're pretty much there. :beer:
Last Edit:10 years 9 months ago by really?
Last edit: 10 years 9 months ago by really?.

Time to create page: 0.482 seconds