Understanding VIN numbers

Understanding VIN numbers was created by blacklake

Posted 1 week 5 days ago #207203
Newbie here. I recently purchased a slightly dodgy 1999 MGF here in Australia. Apart from getting 'Rita' back on the road, I have been trying to get to grips with the VIN. Her number is SARRDWBGBXD which I looked up and it all makes sense apart from the engine being 1800 and the transmission saying 1600 manual or do I have that wrong? She was also registered locally as a VVC so that's apparently not right either nor is the speedo.... but that's another story.

I will eventually put her back on the road and would like the details to be correct. TIA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Cobber
  • Cobber's Avatar Online
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

Replied by Cobber on topic Understanding VIN numbers

Posted 1 week 5 days ago #207206
Well g'day, and welcome aboard,

I'm based in Melbourne, where abouts in Oz are you? it will help us help you for any other questions you may have in the future.
The Vin that you've provided SARRDWBGXD, I decode that as: 
S=UK built, 
AR=MG/Rover, 
RD=MGF/TF, 
W=TL3/entry level trim,
B=2 body style/2 door roadster,
G=Engine: K1.8 MPI 18K4F 120PS (88KW)
B=Steering/Transmission/Final Drive Ratio: RHD/5 speed manual/ 3.9:1 ratio
X=Model year: 1999
D=Assembly Plant: Longbridge

So I figure your car was built as an  1999 / 1800cc MPI / 5sp manual / 3.9:1 final drive
Not a VVC so I don't know how the rego says that's what it is but it doesn't surprise me that the rego authorities  would have got it wrong, I've had many an argument with Vicroads over the years because they have the wrong info

I hope that helps

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Replied by blacklake on topic Understanding VIN numbers

Posted 1 week 4 days ago #207216
Hi 
I'm SW Sydney. I guess it depends which list you check but that looks better. Mine has rollhoops ( now replaced with TF speakers) a spoiler and chrome trim on the vents which I haven't seen on many cars.

She has a galactic mileage but we're having fun getting her back on the road... 

• Cobber
  • Cobber's Avatar Online
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

Replied by Cobber on topic Understanding VIN numbers

Posted 1 week 4 days ago #207217

blacklake wrote: Hi 
I'm SW Sydney. I guess it depends which list you check but that looks better. Mine has rollhoops ( now replaced with TF speakers) a spoiler and chrome trim on the vents which I haven't seen on many cars.

She has a galactic mileage but we're having fun getting her back on the road... 

The rollhoops are useless decorative nonsense anyway as they don't mount to anything substantial enough to deal with rollover impact.
And most of them are made of thinwall mild steel tubestock rubbish that has been chromed which embrittles the steel, making it even worse.

The chrome bezels on the vents most likely to replace the fake carbon fiber ones that didn't fair to well in our climate.
Higher mileage is more common here as it is a big country with big distances between places. we thing little of traveling a 100 or more km to get where we need to go, where as in more compact and heavily populated countries the tend to think of trips of more than 20km a major undertaking.
I'd rather high kms on roads where the car can stretch it's legs than low klms where the car was stuck idling in traffic for most of the time.

Anyhow don't be a stranger, look in on a regular basis, there is plenty of good information on this site and some knowledgeable members to help with advice.
Have a search back through the archives to learn from the wisdom of the past, and feel free to ask.
I for one look forward to seeing your progress.

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber

Replied by blacklake on topic Understanding VIN numbers

Posted 1 week 4 days ago #207221
Thanks... I have long list of things although we figured out how to install the wind deflector today so that's a win! Still awaiting new speakers then the Tbar can go back in properly. And the list goes on....;-)

Time to create page: 0.480 seconds