Prestone coolant?

Prestone coolant? was created by countax

Posted 1 month 2 weeks ago #207821
Anyone using Prestone coolant? 
Saw this in Tesco today and it says it is compatible with all makes of car and can be safely mixed with any type of coolant in the system. 
Not only that, but if you flush the system before filling it is valid for 10 years protection.   Price wise it seems very low cost at £10.50 for 4L if you have a club card.
I’ve done a bit of searching and it seems to be an OAT based product so should be fine in a K series engine.  
I am currently in the process of changing my coolant and if I could find a way to do a system flush to get rid of my residual red stuff left in the block after I undo the underfloor pipes for draining I might consider using it. 
Anyone have experience of using this product and was it a good, bad or indifferent experience? 
Nigel
by countax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by BruceTF135 on topic Prestone coolant?

Posted 1 month 1 week ago #207870
I'm surprised that nobody has picked up on this.  I have no experience with this Prestone coolant.  You don't say what your car is.

It may be perfectly suitable but the usual advice is that, apart from some very early cars which can use ethylene glycol, the coolant to use in MGF/TF is pink OAT, such as the stuff available from Halfords, or Eurocarparts, or lots of other places.

My only experience, apart from very occasional top ups, is an attempt to replace the coolant as per the servicing schedule.  I extracted much less than the specified 10.5 litres by undoing the big underfloor pipes.
Last Edit:1 month 1 week ago by BruceTF135
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by BruceTF135.

Replied by countax on topic Prestone coolant?

Posted 1 month 3 days ago #207944
Sorry, I should have said it is a 2001 MGf.
I managed to get 6.7L out via the underfloor pipes and had some Comma G30 spare so ended up using that.
I’ll just have to change it again in 5 years if I still own the car.
Nigel
by countax

Replied by mowog73 on topic Prestone coolant?

Posted 1 month 2 days ago #207953
Both of our Fs are very early, 1995 Fs, and came from the factory with ethylene glycol, aka Prestone.

A friend with a 2003 TF switched to ethylene glycol from OAT last summer, no issues to date.

Given that the very early Fs came from the factory with ethylene glycol as coolant, and there was no change to the metallurgy of the coolant system components throughout the the life of the F/TF, there is no reason that ethylene glycol cannot be used in cars that originally had OAT in the coolant system, as long as the coolant system is thoroughly flushed.

[size=10pt]Mark[/size]
95 MGF

by mowog73

Time to create page: 0.501 seconds