MG TF GT

Replied by nick on topic Re: MG TF GT

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #84976
I believe it's running a standard 4 pot k series now, though it was rumoured to have a KV6 when it was first shown.
by nick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by stevecrx on topic Re: MG TF GT

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #84977

mgf -reborn wrote: we have a friend at sunseeker doing a hard top in that shape,he is in the fiberglass department,however there may be a issue regarding if the boot will open.but will cross that brigde later.

Split the boot lid into two sections so the boot half is still accessable in the normal way. It could also be fiberglass (like the boot lids on eBay). You could use the original boot hinges and the front cover could be fastened in position and house a clear panel to show off that lovely Rover cam cover.

Easy . Next problem... ;)

stevecrx
'98 'F, BRG Poverty Spec Edition
Build Thread

Replied by Mal7921 on topic MG TF GT

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #84979
I like it, I liked the photographs when the concept first leaked out, though anything to do with the engine would require dropping the rear subframe. A tad extreme for a change of spark plugs, unless there was still panel access under the glass.

A hardtop to give a similar shape would be nice, though it would not be exact as the door glass is different in the GT. A similar styled hardtop would be good and give the car a more distinctive look.
Last Edit:11 years 10 months ago by Mal7921
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by Mal7921.

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #84981

stevecrx wrote:

mgf -reborn wrote: we have a friend at sunseeker doing a hard top in that shape,he is in the fiberglass department,however there may be a issue regarding if the boot will open.but will cross that brigde later.

Split the boot lid into two sections so the boot half is still accessable in the normal way. It could also be fiberglass (like the boot lids on eBay). You could use the original boot hinges and the front cover could be fastened in position and house a clear panel to show off that lovely Rover cam cover.

Easy . Next problem... ;)

Even easier solution.

On a hardtop have an inset lower section to enclose the glass, the boot is curved anyhow so its only the corners that are an issue. The end of the hardtop could be set back by 10mm or the parts than line up with the boot inset as mentioned, either way could make a design close to that GT, or something totally unique without altering the boot or boot line.
Last Edit:11 years 10 months ago by Mal7921
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by Mal7921.

Replied by petetf160 on topic Re: MG TF GT

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #84983
Does look good, bit like the Lenham Midget GT SS1800

http://www.lenhammotorcompanyltd.com/ss1800/

:drive: :drive: :drive:

Replied by amtcoupe on topic Re: MG TF GT

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #85004

Mal7921 wrote: I like it, I liked the photographs when the concept first leaked out, though anything to do with the engine would require dropping the rear subframe. A tad extreme for a change of spark plugs, unless there was still panel access under the glass.

A hardtop to give a similar shape would be nice, though it would not be exact as the door glass is different in the GT. A similar styled hardtop would be good and give the car a more distinctive look.

could have hinged the rear window section to give access to the engine bay .

In the pics it looks like the "buttresses" run either side of the boot lid so it will function as normal while the glass section is recessed slightly ?

Replied by rover-25x on topic Re: MG TF GT

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #85016
For a GT style hardtop you could have buttresses either side of the boot lid like an old XJ Jag. ;)

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Re: MG TF GT

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #85042
I like ti as it is, but id does sort of remind me of the Audi TT :nofight:
by a Guest

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #85056

Softly~Softly wrote: I like ti as it is, but id does sort of remind me of the Audi TT :nofight:

Hope you liked your early preview photos sent to your BB..
by a Guest

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #85066

amtcoupe wrote:

Mal7921 wrote: I like it, I liked the photographs when the concept first leaked out, though anything to do with the engine would require dropping the rear subframe. A tad extreme for a change of spark plugs, unless there was still panel access under the glass.

could have hinged the rear window section to give access to the engine bay .

In the pics it looks like the "buttresses" run either side of the boot lid so it will function as normal while the glass section is recessed slightly ?

My thoughts exactly, however the glass is not inset, though I initially thought it was. As I mentioned earlier though, the boot is curved so its only the corners that are a potential problem, but looking at mine last night, the hinge lifts the edges slightly anyhow, so there is a good 10mm clearance (or thereabouts), so not so much of an issue.

On a hardtop the glass could be inset at a steeper rake than the buttresses, both for a distinctive style and for boot clearance.

Ooh, I want to dig out my old design tools now and draw something...
by Mal7921

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Posted 11 years 10 months ago #85068
it one os those project that is a bit on the back burner,we want to do it but dont want to commit money or time
by a Guest

Posted 11 years 9 months ago #93390
Just to revive this thread with a pic showing the rear section of the TF GT.

Been going over the thought of a hardtop version for the existing cars and found some concept drawings online showing how the rear window would open to allow engine access.

As can be seen,t he buttresses are either side of the boot so the boot panel and boot access areas are standard width, just like the MGF/TF. Now if I could get one of those half completed hard top that were on ebay earlier this year, a rough concept/reference design could be put together...

Now if only I could find the concept drawings again... I'll just have to dust off the old design stuff and do my own
Last Edit:11 years 9 months ago by Mal7921
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by Mal7921.

Time to create page: 0.655 seconds