Underfloor Pipes

Underfloor Pipes was created by general lee

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10100
Please can you advise me if it is necessary to replace the underfloor pipes on all makes of MGTF. I have a stepspeed 2002 and want to know if it is worth replacing them with the stainless steel type.

Thanks

General Lee:confused:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Under Floor Pipes

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10102

General Lee;10100 wrote: Please can you advise me if it is necessary to replace the underfloor pipes on all makes of MGTF. I have a stepspeed 2002 and want to know if it is worth replacing them with the stainless steel type.

Thanks

General Lee:confused:

The underfloor pipes are a weak point on all of our cars, replace them if they show signs of leaks or corrosion. if yours appear to be in good condition, fine - but remember to check where they disappear under the strengthening plate.

David
:shrug:

Replied by general lee on topic Under Floor Pipes

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10105
Thanks David for your advice:)

General Lee:bye::)

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Replied by cjj on topic Under Floor Pipes

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10107
One of the easier jobs and well worth doing. Getting the bleeding right afterwards is the trick, but even that isn't too difficult.
by cjj

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Under Floor Pipes

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10132
did my pipes couple of months ago using ccj guides and cjj helping getting the bolts off the underbelly plate which were quite hard, but we used an impact driver easy after that. maybe worth rustproofing the underbelly plate while you have it off.

i have a stepspeed as well the bad news is nobody does a stainless steel version, the underpipes for the stepsteep has extra brackets on them for the gearbox oil cooler pipes, i got my pipes from rimmer brothers approx £40 del, but these were the normal ones.

I am not sure if you could use cable ties on the normal stainless steel pipes to hold the gearbox oil cooler pipes. Maybe someone with better knowledge could point you in the right direction. I just didnt want to risk it.
by a Guest

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10159
Thanks for yourcomments about the stepspeed. I was going to buy the stainless steel pipes from Sussex classic cars, that was lucky since you advise they wont be the right ones.

Replied by andrewr on topic Under Floor Pipes

Posted 14 years 6 months ago #10179
My F was made in 1997 and still has the original pipes, yes I check them once a year. One of the main reasons they have lasted is we don't have the sand and salt put down every year, well unless you are up in the mountains we don't see any snow.
I believe that most HGF's are caused by people not bleeding their coolant system when renewing plus leaks dont help.
by andrewr

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Under Floor Pipes

Posted 14 years 6 months ago #10193

AndrewR;10179 wrote: My F was made in 1997 and still has the original pipes, yes I check them once a year. One of the main reasons they have lasted is we don't have the sand and salt put down every year, well unless you are up in the mountains we don't see any snow.
I believe that most HGF's are caused by people not bleeding their coolant system when renewing plus leaks dont help.

You said it Andrew!
That salt is wicked stuff.
:yesnod:

David
:shrug:

Replied by quicksilver on topic Under Floor Pipes

Posted 14 years 6 months ago #10194
I managed to fit the stainless pipes by modifying some central heating fittings to carry the oil pipes. Also could use jubilees with spacer blocks.
Chris

Posted 14 years 6 months ago #10252
Thanks guys for your comments.:)

Time to create page: 0.529 seconds