Aerial probs

• birks
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Loves going topless!!!

Aerial probs was created by birks

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10186
Having had awful reception in George (97 F) since we got him, we splashed out on a new aerial- Halford's best- to no real improvement. :confused:

Thinking it was probably the stereo, which was ancient anyway, I spent more of my hard earned punds at Aldi and got the all singing/dancing CD/MP3/Bluetooth model.....sounds great :yesnod:..apart from radio. :rolleyes2:

Taking the forum's advice I had my son hold the aerial...BRILLIANT!!!

So, I ordered an original MGF aerial...picked it up today from post office, screwed it on in the car park. It was quite a bit longer than the old ones...I was getting very excited....and.....
it's made absolutely no difference whatsoever :shake:

what next...other than strapping my 15year old to the roof or investing in a fullscale mast??

:dunno:

just want to listen to the radio without it sounding like it's Norman Collier presenting every programme :dunno:

all ideas most welcome, thanks x

This girl doesn't mind getting her hands dirty !!! :lol:

by birks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Aerial probs

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10189

Birks;10186 wrote: Having had awful reception in George (97 F) since we got him, we splashed out on a new aerial- Halford's best- to no real improvement. :confused:

Thinking it was probably the stereo, which was ancient anyway, I spent more of my hard earned punds at Aldi and got the all singing/dancing CD/MP3/Bluetooth model.....sounds great :yesnod:..apart from radio. :rolleyes2:

Taking the forum's advice I had my son hold the aerial...BRILLIANT!!!

So, I ordered an original MGF aerial...picked it up today from post office, screwed it on in the car park. It was quite a bit longer than the old ones...I was getting very excited....and.....
it's made absolutely no difference whatsoever :shake:

what next...other than strapping my 15year old to the roof or investing in a fullscale mast??

just want to listen to the radio without it sounding like it's Norman Collier presenting every programme :dunno:

all ideas most welcome, thanks x

Maggie,
It sounds as if the aerial isn't earthed to the car body properly.
The aerial is earthed through its fixing. It needs to be tightened on to a clean part of the body metal.
Remove the aerial from the hole, and clean up the body metal around the underside of the hole before re-fitting the aerial. Make sure that the metal fixing is in good clean metal/metal contact with the body.
Good luck.

David
:shrug:

• birks
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Loves going topless!!!

Replied by birks on topic Aerial probs

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10200

David Aiketgate;10189 wrote: Maggie,
It sounds as if the aerial isn't earthed to the car body properly.
The aerial is earthed through its fixing. It needs to be tightened on to a clean part of the body metal.
Remove the aerial from the hole, and clean up the body metal around the underside of the hole before re-fitting the aerial. Make sure that the metal fixing is in good clean metal/metal contact with the body.
Good luck.

Thanks David...

I really want to go have a look at it now :yesnod:

...but I've a report on my computer that won't go away till I've written it :shake:
...I've already avoided doing it for the last few hours as I've had a small chimney fire and a house full of smoke- :frown: no damage tho

...but sorting the aerial is SOOO tempting (and SO much more interesting)

Oh well...report here I come...can't put it off any longer - the aerial can be my reward for completing it :dc:

Will let you know how it goes

Maggy :bye:

by birks

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10202

Birks;10200 wrote: Thanks David...

I really want to go have a look at it now :yesnod:

...but I've a report on my computer that won't go away till I've written it :shake:
...I've already avoided doing it for the last few hours as I've had a small chimney fire and a house full of smoke- :frown: no damage tho

...but sorting the aerial is SOOO tempting (and SO much more interesting)

Oh well...report here I come...can't put it off any longer - the aerial can be my reward for completing it :dc:

Will let you know how it goes

Maggy :bye:

Almost certain it's an aerial earthing problem. :yesnod: Let us know how you get on.

David

Replied by rough luck on topic Aerial probs

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10204
Awww I still think the idea of a 15 yr old stuck on your car with gaffer tape is the much better way to go

After all if you loose signal you could just move it really easily and re-tape

Youtube channel of mods an track pics

http://www.youtube.com/user/busternorris?feature=mhum

Website: http://www.roughluckracing.com/ MG Rover Mobile Repairs Nationwide and Western Europe

Replied by phil-hex on topic Aerial probs

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10213

Birks;10186 wrote:
what next...other than strapping my 15year old to the roof

Rough Luck;10204 wrote: Awww I still think the idea of a 15 yr old stuck on your car with gaffer tape is the much better way to go

After all if you loose signal you could just move it really easily and re-tape

and lets be fair if that one falls off you've always have the spare kid :dc:

on a more serious note....... is it worth taking the radio out and checking to make sure the aerial is connected properly, they can half pop out when the radio is pushed back into place :dunno:

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Replied by cjj on topic Aerial probs

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10214
I was going to say earth.

However, it could also be water finding it's way into the coax cable.
by cjj

• birks
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Loves going topless!!!

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10274
:devil:

phil-hex;10213 wrote: and lets be fair if that one falls off you've always have the spare kid :dc:

on a more serious note....... is it worth taking the radio out and checking to make sure the aerial is connected properly, they can half pop out when the radio is pushed back into place :dunno:

How tempting is the child/gaffer tape suggestion!!!! Oh I'm being such a BAD MUMMY today!!

I have checked the connections at the back and they're ok.

Just have to drive the kids mad with Natalie Merchant till Friday when I've time to delve...no fun when work gets in the way of life!

Clive- I'm sure yours is a fab suggestion...just haven't a clue what you're on about!!!

by birks

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10276

Birks;10274 wrote: :devil:

How tempting is the child/gaffer tape suggestion!!!! Oh I'm being such a BAD MUMMY today!!

I have checked the connections at the back and they're ok.

Just have to drive the kids mad with Natalie Merchant till Friday when I've time to delve...no fun when work gets in the way of life!

Clive- I'm sure yours is a fab suggestion...just haven't a clue what you're on about!!!

Clive's wondering if there could be water in the aerial cable:dunno:

David

• birks
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Loves going topless!!!

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10277

David Aiketgate;10276 wrote: Clive's wondering if there could be water in the aerial cable:dunno:

ahhhh!!! well why didn't he SAY that... I'm only a girlie (runs off to hide before the girls start attacking!!! JOKE GIRLS JOKE!!) :lolf:

will try the earth thing first and let you all know...if it doesn't work at least you'll see me coming to the next meet....and my son!!

by birks

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10281

Birks;10277 wrote: ahhhh!!! well why didn't he SAY that... I'm only a girlie (runs off to hide before the girls start attacking!!! JOKE GIRLS JOKE!!) :lolf:

will try the earth thing first and let you all know...if it doesn't work at least you'll see me coming to the next meet....and my son gaffer-taped to the boot!!

Amended that for you, Maggy:don't bite:

David

• birks
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Loves going topless!!!

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10282

David Aiketgate;10281 wrote: Amended that for you, Maggy:don't bite:

It'd be a different mod from everyone else's tho! lol

by birks

Time to create page: 0.518 seconds