Trophy Spoiler

Trophy Spoiler was created by neilowen1

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10463
Hi
Has anyone got any tips regarding fitting a trophy rear spoiler to a 2000 MGF.Just purchased it second hand,so will not be coming with fitting instructions.I believe it is a genuine O.E.M. part.
Regards Neil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Replied by cjj on topic Trophy Spoiler

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10476
Have never fitted one as I don't think it's necessary on a TF due to the built in lip. This is what I would do though

I would put masking tape over the boot where it sits. Find the best position and gently draw round the struts on the masking tape, maybe best using a felt tip. Now make templates of the bottom of the struts including the screw/bolt holes. place the templates over the shape you marked on the bootlid and mark out the holes. Now carefully drill the holes making sure you don't slip with the drill.

I am not sure whether the holes have to drill through a support under the boot or whether it just bolts through the skin.

After drilling the holes paint the freshly cut holes with a bit of hammerite or something to cover the exposed metal and stop rust.
by cjj

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Trophy Spoiler

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10477

CJJ;10476 wrote: Have never fitted one as I don't think it's necessary on a TF due to the built in lip. This is what I would do though

I would put masking tape over the boot where it sits. Find the best position and gently draw round the struts on the masking tape, maybe best using a felt tip. Now make templates of the bottom of the struts including the screw/bolt holes. place the templates over the shape you marked on the bootlid and mark out the holes. Now carefully drill the holes making sure you don't slip with the drill.

I am not sure whether the holes have to drill through a support under the boot or whether it just bolts through the skin.

After drilling the holes paint the freshly cut holes with a bit of hammerite or something to cover the exposed metal and stop rust.

Yep, that's what's needed.:yesnod: Just to add it's not a bad idea to use some metal (ally) plate underneath the boot lid to reinforce the boltholes.

David
:shrug:

Replied by mgf_matt on topic Trophy Spoiler

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10515
+1 for the masking tape, I made a weird grid thing and got a bit mathematical to make sure its dead straight!

Replied by neilowen1 on topic Trophy Spoiler

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10520
Thanks for the input guys,I had previously read somewhere that the positioning of this particular spoiler has to be spot on for the bolts to go through the double skin part of the boot lid
Regards Neil

Replied by le500 on topic Trophy Spoiler

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10522
I found drilling a pain and didn't work for me initially. Good quality sharp bits were needed.
by le500

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Trophy Spoiler

Posted 14 years 7 months ago #10558

le500;10522 wrote: I found drilling a pain and didn't work for me initially. Good quality sharp bits were needed.

Oh yeah you had the armour-plated boot lid didn't you?

David
:shrug:

Replied by neilowen1 on topic Trophy Spoiler

Posted 14 years 6 months ago #11503
Hi All,
Spoiler now fitted,Looks superb (please don't ask for photos,I would not have a clue how to start).The spoiler has two "lugs" which align just inwards of the boot edge,does anyone know if these lugs should rest on the boot or have a slight clearance?
Thanks Neil

Time to create page: 0.548 seconds