Bonnet rebuild kit

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Bonnet rebuild kit was created by a Guest

Posted 14 years 9 months ago #3513
I'm most of the way through fitting the stainless steel replacement underbonnet fixing bolts. nuts and screws supplied by www.titanbolts.co.uk . Cost £15.05 inc.p&p and our EU contribution,VAT.

The fixings come sorted into packs labelled with the location, bolt size etc. Very handy. A bit more expensive than buying the individual items, but less hassle and worth it.

Had a bit of trouble undoing some of the bolts, slam panel & headlights mainly, so I eased them slightly and dosed them in WD40 each day for 3 days. Came out pretty easily then, not one sheared yet and I think I've tackled all of the badly corroded ones. I treated the new bolts with coppergrease before fitting, hoping to reduce electrolytic action between the stainless and ordinary steel. Some of the new fixings will have to be removed later so that local corrosion can be treated and repainted.

And a great cosmetic improvement !!!!!

Mike
by a Guest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Bonnet rebuild kit

Posted 14 years 9 months ago #3524

KUON;3513 wrote: I'm most of the way through fitting the stainless steel replacement underbonnet fixing bolts. nuts and screws supplied by www.titanbolts.co.uk . Cost £15.05 inc.p&p and our EU contribution,VAT.

The fixings come sorted into packs labelled with the location, bolt size etc. Very handy. A bit more expensive than buying the individual items, but less hassle and worth it.

Had a bit of trouble undoing some of the bolts, slam panel & headlights mainly, so I eased them slightly and dosed them in WD40 each day for 3 days. Came out pretty easily then, not one sheared yet and I think I've tackled all of the badly corroded ones. I treated the new bolts with coppergrease before fitting, hoping to reduce electrolytic action between the stainless and ordinary steel. Some of the new fixings will have to be removed later so that local corrosion can be treated and repainted.

And a great cosmetic improvement !!!!!

Mike

Dare I ask? Any photos?

David
:shrug:

• gos
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • X Black Beauty X

Replied by gos on topic Bonnet rebuild kit

Posted 14 years 9 months ago #3526

David Aiketgate;3524 wrote: Dare I ask? Any photos?

yeah pics would be good :yesnod:
by gos

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Bonnet rebuild kit

Posted 14 years 9 months ago #3541
Took photos, logged in, did a reply (took ages), tried to post it but forum told me that I was not logged in. Lost it all.
If I have time I may try again later but I may not bother if it's that b****y difficult.

Mike
by a Guest

Time to create page: 0.480 seconds