Moving house guide...

Moving house guide... was created by kara

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8290
Well for completely unrealted reasons I thought having a house moving guide on here would be a good idea! :winkgrin:

But seriously, we've got a lot to do & not a lot of time to do it before we move so if anyone can think of things you need to do when moving can you please stick them up here as knowing my luck I'll forget something really important! :doh:

All house moving tips, tricks, & advice will be VERY welcome! :thanks:
Kara x
by kara

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by stamford on topic Moving house guide...

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8297
I find this the most stressful thing to do during ones life!
  • Label clearly all boxes for the intended room, makes it easy to know where they all go the other end.
  • Leave one box until last, kettle, tea, coffee, sugar, milk, tin opener, cutlery, mugs etc Include cleaning materials and vacuum cleaner if possible. Pet food and dishes. Phone chargers!
  • Bag of bed linen for when you make your bed up the other end.
  • Overnight bag with some clothes and toiletries, saves you opening boxes trying to find stuff.
  • Take meter readings before you leave, do the same when you enter the new property.
  • Inform all service providers of the leaving dates and do the same for the new one.
  • Use the Post Office service for mail re-direction, not expensive and saves hassle.
  • Leave a few pre-paid envelopes with new address for any mail that has slipped through. Hopefully the new owners will do this for you.
  • If hiring your own van or lorry make sure the lift or ramps work before driving off!
  • Make sure all keys are handed over and instruction guides for appliances, gas boiler etc. Check new address as well.
  • Get as many friends and family to help as you can! That includes extra cars or works vans!
  • Use your own vehicle where possible to transport fragile items and pets.
  • Make sure your phone is charged, you might be needing it incase there is no line ready or to be installed. (we managed to get Virgin in the next day to put in phone, tv and broadband before the furniture was placed.)
  • Nominate a room for the pets to seek sanctuary and make sure everyone knows this, if possible stick a notice on the door to warn people.
I'm sure there is plenty more to add.

2000 MGF 1.8i SE Wedgewood
2002 MG ZS200 Trophy Blue
1999 Land Rover Discovery series 2 TD5

Replied by gotenks1321 on topic Moving house guide...

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8298
Not really any tips as all I remember is chuck everything into boxes, load up the van/cars and away you go :lol:

Don't forget to wave as you go past :bye:

Replied by kara on topic Moving house guide...

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8299

stamford;8297 wrote: I find this the most stressful thing to do during ones life!

• Label clearly all boxes for the intended room, makes it easy to know where they all go the other end.
  • Leave one box until last, kettle, tea, coffee, sugar, milk, tin opener, cutlery, mugs etc Include cleaning materials and vacuum cleaner if possible. Pet food and dishes. Phone chargers!
  • Bag of bed linen for when you make your bed up the other end.
  • Overnight bag with some clothes and toiletries, saves you opening boxes trying to find stuff.
  • Take meter readings before you leave, do the same when you enter the new property.
  • Inform all service providers of the leaving dates and do the same for the new one.
  • Use the Post Office service for mail re-direction, not expensive and saves hassle.
  • Leave a few pre-paid envelopes with new address for any mail that has slipped through. Hopefully the new owners will do this for you.
  • If hiring your own van or lorry make sure the lift or ramps work before driving off!
  • Make sure all keys are handed over and instruction guides for appliances, gas boiler etc. Check new address as well.
  • Get as many friends and family to help as you can! That includes extra cars or works vans!
  • Use your own vehicle where possible to transport fragile items and pets.
  • Make sure your phone is charged, you might be needing it incase there is no line ready or to be installed. (we managed to get Virgin in the next day to put in phone, tv and broadband before the furniture was placed.)
  • Nominate a room for the pets to seek sanctuary and make sure everyone knows this, if possible stick a notice on the door to warn people.
I'm sure there is plenty more to add.

WOW! That's fantastic! Thank you so much! Some truly excellent advice which I never would have thought of! Oh you are most definitely on my good list now! Positive rep left! :thanks:
by kara

Replied by stamford on topic Moving house guide...

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8301
Why thankyou :hyper:

Been there a few times, hate every minute of it, but you just need to soldier on.

2000 MGF 1.8i SE Wedgewood
2002 MG ZS200 Trophy Blue
1999 Land Rover Discovery series 2 TD5

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8305

gotenks1321;8298 wrote: Not really any tips as all I remember is chuck everything into boxes, load up the van/cars and away you go :lol:

Don't forget to wave as you go past :bye:

Wave? Hey don't think you & Linda are getting out of coming to our house warming party! :party:

stamford;8301 wrote: Why thankyou :hyper:

Been there a few times, hate every minute of it, but you just need to soldier on.

Ah yes I believe the last move resulted in me not speaking to the mother in law for at least half a year! Bloody stressful stuff! :shake: This is why I want to make sure it's done properly this year!
by kara

Replied by gotenks1321 on topic Moving house guide...

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8306

Kara;8305 wrote: Wave? Hey don't think you & Linda are getting out of coming to our house warming party! :party:

We wouldn't miss it for the world :woohoo: Well as long as it's when I don't have Marc :lol:

I meant wave when you come past but looking at the map you won't be coming past :lol:

• cjj
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Replied by cjj on topic Moving house guide...

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8314
Have a look here Kara. It has checklists and advice sections.

http://www.helpiammoving.com/moving_house/home.php
by cjj

• gos
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • X Black Beauty X

Replied by gos on topic Moving house guide...

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8317
where are you relocating to Kara?

no tips as they seem to be already covered, altho I wouldnt advise breaking your ankle just before you move as I did last time, it just changed the plan from hiring a self drive van to hiring a removal firm, the bill hurt more than the ankle OUCH!!
by gos

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8325

gotenks1321;8306 wrote: We wouldn't miss it for the world :woohoo: Well as long as it's when I don't have Marc :lol:

I meant wave when you come past but looking at the map you won't be coming past :lol:

Excellent! The more the merrier! :woo2:

CJJ;8314 wrote: Have a look here Kara. It has checklists and advice sections.

http://www.helpiammoving.com/moving_house/home.php

Is there no end to your resourcefulness mate? That's absolutely perfect! Thank you!

Gos;8317 wrote: where are you relocating to Kara?

no tips as they seem to be already covered, altho I wouldnt advise breaking your ankle just before you move as I did last time, it just changed the plan from hiring a self drive van to hiring a removal firm, the bill hurt more than the ankle OUCH!!

Not too far mate - just up to Crawley. I'll try to avoid anything that is likely to induce a broken ankle! Dare I ask how you did it?
by kara

• gos
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • X Black Beauty X

Replied by gos on topic Moving house guide...

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8326

Kara;8325 wrote:

Not too far mate - just up to Crawley. I'll try to avoid anything that is likely to induce a broken ankle! Dare I ask how you did it?

ah good, just made contact thru facebook with an old navy mate who lives out that way, might be able to re make his acquaintance again if you organise a meet out that way.

as for the ankle, it was during a football match, completely broke off the bone on one side allowing my foot to dislocate. not nice looking down and seeing the sole of your foot looking back up at you. still got the steel plate and 7 screws in there.

good luck with the move, have you got somewhere to go or are you buying/renting?? flat or house?? where will you put all the collectables??? am I asking toooooo many questions???????? :p
by gos

Replied by Adam-Mgtf on topic Moving house guide...

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8331

Gos;8326 wrote:
as for the ankle, it was during a football match, completely broke off the bone on one side allowing my foot to dislocate. not nice looking down and seeing the sole of your foot looking back up at you. still got the steel plate and 7 screws in there.

thats fantastically gross!!!

Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

Time to create page: 0.527 seconds