Moving house guide...

Replied by kara on topic Moving house guide...

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8332

Gos;8326 wrote: ah good, just made contact thru facebook with an old navy mate who lives out that way, might be able to re make his acquaintance again if you organise a meet out that way.

as for the ankle, it was during a football match, completely broke off the bone on one side allowing my foot to dislocate. not nice looking down and seeing the sole of your foot looking back up at you. still got the steel plate and 7 screws in there.

good luck with the move, have you got somewhere to go or are you buying/renting?? flat or house?? where will you put all the collectables??? am I asking toooooo many questions???????? :p

Yikes the sight of that would make me faint! :yikes:

Well if you can make it to our house warming party then you can swing round & see him to! :)

You're not asking to many questions trust me nothing is more exciting than talking about this positive change in our lives! I'll be renting, it will have to be a house as we need a large living room for the collectables and you tend to get larger living rooms in flats than houses, I'm worrying how to deal with Sookie during the move as she gets very scared in cars, I'm going to list loads of things on ebay and take the rest down charity shops in an effort to clear some space, also trying to work out in what order to start doing everything... I mean seriously with so much to do I just can't pick a place to get stuck in. :dunno:
by kara

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gos
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • X Black Beauty X

Replied by gos on topic Moving house guide...

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8343

Kara;8332 wrote: Yikes the sight of that would make me faint! :yikes:

Well if you can make it to our house warming party then you can swing round & see him to! :)

You're not asking to many questions trust me nothing is more exciting than talking about this positive change in our lives! I'll be renting, it will have to be a house as we need a large living room for the collectables and you tend to get larger living rooms in flats than houses, I'm worrying how to deal with Sookie during the move as she gets very scared in cars, I'm going to list loads of things on ebay and take the rest down charity shops in an effort to clear some space, also trying to work out in what order to start doing everything... I mean seriously with so much to do I just can't pick a place to get stuck in. :dunno:

all good stuff then :)

I find the best way is to have a quick recce around the flat, open all cupboards, cubby holes, look under the bed, in sheds etc etc and make a mental note of what you find. then sit down and start making a list dividing things into categories, by rooms or by type (ie bedroom stuff or electrical, ornaments, soft furnishings etc), include sookie as a CAT-egorie to herself ;) seriously tho cats have issues with moving so research it well.

then just start collecting boxes to put things in, start with things you wont NEED, its no good putting your kettle in a box 2 weeks before you leave :) actually tea/coffee making stuff should be last to go and first unpacked.

keep a roll of bin liners handy and start filing anything classed as rubbish in there.

start saving newspapers for packing around crockery and other fragile stuff, you can buy bubble wrap nowadays for stuff like you collectables.

dont underestimate the size of the task, it is enormous and can be very stressful (stand by for the odd falling out with Frank)

I have moved loads of times so if you have any questions give me a shout.

as for sookie there are plenty of sites with info ie;

http://www.helpiammoving.com/moving_house/moving_cats.php

also this is very helpful stuff; http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-3339-feliway-diffuser.aspx pack it with your kettle and use it as soon as you get the cat there, its a good idea to just open the door to her travel box and leave it in the corner so she can use it as a safe place to retreat to.

exciting times, turn it into an adventure and the stress will be lessened.

good luck to the two of you xx
by gos

Replied by reaper on topic Moving house guide...

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8346
Make sure you leave someone in the van and another in the house; then another doing the moving, swop over etc.

Thiefs love people moving.....

I was lucky that i left my mate in the van and he gave the 'foreigners' a fright....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

by reaper

Replied by kara on topic Moving house guide...

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8390

Gos;8343 wrote: all good stuff then :)

I find the best way is to have a quick recce around the flat, open all cupboards, cubby holes, look under the bed, in sheds etc etc and make a mental note of what you find. then sit down and start making a list dividing things into categories, by rooms or by type (ie bedroom stuff or electrical, ornaments, soft furnishings etc), include sookie as a CAT-egorie to herself ;) seriously tho cats have issues with moving so research it well.

then just start collecting boxes to put things in, start with things you wont NEED, its no good putting your kettle in a box 2 weeks before you leave :) actually tea/coffee making stuff should be last to go and first unpacked.

keep a roll of bin liners handy and start filing anything classed as rubbish in there.

start saving newspapers for packing around crockery and other fragile stuff, you can buy bubble wrap nowadays for stuff like you collectables.

dont underestimate the size of the task, it is enormous and can be very stressful (stand by for the odd falling out with Frank)

I have moved loads of times so if you have any questions give me a shout.

as for sookie there are plenty of sites with info ie;

http://www.helpiammoving.com/moving_house/moving_cats.php

also this is very helpful stuff; http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-3339-feliway-diffuser.aspx pack it with your kettle and use it as soon as you get the cat there, its a good idea to just open the door to her travel box and leave it in the corner so she can use it as a safe place to retreat to.

exciting times, turn it into an adventure and the stress will be lessened.

good luck to the two of you xx

Lots of info there thanks mate! Very interesting about that Feliway stuff! Sounds like it's worth investing in. :yesnod:

We went out and bought lots more bin liners so we can stuck sorting between stuff to chuck & stuff to drop down the charity shops! Newspapers aren't a problem to save as Frank reads them daily but never throws the damn things out! :lecture:

We've set up viewings for 3 flats tomorrow. I've also decided to take my camera with me so it will help me remember everything afterwards. :photo:

Reaper;8346 wrote: Make sure you leave someone in the van and another in the house; then another doing the moving, swop over etc.

Thiefs love people moving.....

I was lucky that i left my mate in the van and he gave the 'foreigners' a fright....

Yeah I never got people who leave a nice van filled with all their belongings unattended. They might as well gift wrap it for the thieves!
by kara

Time to create page: 0.493 seconds