Anyone got any spare cash....

Replied by stamford on topic Anyone got any spare cash....

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8469

Adam-MGTF;8452 wrote: used to have twin webbers on my 1275 engined mini, coupled to a straight through exhaust i fashioned out of 2" scaffy tube and you can imagine the grin it put on my face :D

was very civilized when cruising, i remember being on my way to college and sat at the zebra crossing outside the school near me, a few chavs laughed at me in my little mini... one blip of the throttle and they looked quite impressed lol - philistines

Were they split Webers? I remember Vizard and a few others did this by cutting them down to make them line up.

I used to race Mini's years ago, one was a 1340 with Longman rallycross engine, 48 Weber, Quaife LSD, Jack Knight straight cut gearbox, flip front and my own design rose jointed coilover beam axle, those were the days!:yesnod:

2000 MGF 1.8i SE Wedgewood
2002 MG ZS200 Trophy Blue
1999 Land Rover Discovery series 2 TD5

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Adam-Mgtf on topic Anyone got any spare cash....

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8479

stamford;8469 wrote: Were they split Webers? I remember Vizard and a few others did this by cutting them down to make them line up.

I used to race Mini's years ago, one was a 1340 with Longman rallycross engine, 48 Weber, Quaife LSD, Jack Knight straight cut gearbox, flip front and my own design rose jointed coilover beam axle, those were the days!:yesnod:

after reading that i think i need to borrow kyles x-power condoms! lol

webber 45's not sure if they were "split" lol

Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!
"There's something about engines that calms me down"

• cjj
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Replied by cjj on topic Anyone got any spare cash....

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8513

Adam-MGTF;8430 wrote: true but shiny engine parts are just shiny engine parts unless they blow the world away once its fired up... £3000+ is a bit insane really... a Honda K20a engine would be around 2, 2 and a half and thats 200+bhp as standard :dunno:

i'd be interested to know why so much time and money has been spent on a half complete engine thats now for sale?

You may be able to get a Honda engine for £2.5, but that is just the start of your costs and work. The K-series will just drop straight in without any major alterations and with that spec will be capable of soooo much more.
It would probably easy make 250 with NOS, and the spec of the parts used should easily take that.

The dry sump would be worth it anyway for track use.

I don't particularly want to shove a Honda engine in before I have explored what the k-series is capable of. If that all goes wrong, then I might get a VTEC or similar.

stamford;8444 wrote: That is alot of money, but then if you were to look at the QED menu you would see why! I would expect there to be in excess of 200bhp for that money and for something that is probably a risk buy as it has not been run at all. Then you would be looking to modify the loom and remove the ecu and immobiliser if keeping carbs. Would be nice to hear twin DCOE's again! I miss the twin 48's I ran on my HSX Chevette!

I was being conservative when I said 180 - 200bhp. As with you, the main thing that would put me off is the fact that the build quality is unknown, although looking at the spec, I would guess that the seller knew what they were doing.
by cjj

• cjj
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8514
Anyway, price has now dropped to £2150 starting bid.
by cjj

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8519

CJJ;8513 wrote: You may be able to get a Honda engine for £2.5, but that is just the start of your costs and work. The K-series will just drop straight in without any major alterations and with that spec will be capable of soooo much more.
It would probably easy make 250 with NOS, and the spec of the parts used should easily take that.

i fully agree in fact I'm budgeting £3.5k for the conversion and a full year to do it in... and thats just a basic engine with no internal work (cams or anything) just a enclosed air filter, an exhaust system and the K-Pro ECU, engine mounts, driveshafts and a 6speed slickshift kit (hoping Mr Satur would be good enough to make me a copy of the one he and gerry made for GW)

if i could afford to go down the rout you are clive i'd love to but if it all went ***s up then 2.5k on a collection of car parts that didnt work would be a massive loss :( plus i would know where to begine actually "building" an engine :(

Teesside meet, open to all MG/Rs. 3rd Sunday of the month, ask for times and places!!!

• cjj
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • The future is vented.

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8547
Not so long back you wouldn't have known where to start changing a clutch. You only get experience from doing. Don't go getting the impression that I am some engine building god, this is all new territory for me too. The only other engine I have done was a Landrover engine.

I wasn't saying either mod was the right or wrong way to go, just saying that some would rather build a k-series for 10k, specifying all the components for a custom engine rather than just slotting in an engine from another car. I can see the benifits from both.

I personally would like to see the look on peoples faces when a Porch beating TF still has a k-series in it. I might even be cruel and just tell them that all I have done is fit an e-bay resistor. :whistle:
by cjj

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #8550

CJJ;8547 wrote: I personally would like to see the look on peoples faces when a Porch beating TF still has a k-series in it. I might even be cruel and just tell them that all I have done is fit an e-bay resistor. :whistle:

lmao "its a 25bhp chip mate i don't see the big deal?" lol

very true about the clutch mate! tbh i didn't think i could do a V-TEC conversion... in fact i still don't think i can.........yet but i will be able to eventually

i really would love to build a engine like yours is going to be, it's just the rout i've landed on lol 2/3 years time will be fantastic to compare the epic Deep Blue, K-Series and Supercharged and a V-TEC Bucephalus

like i said before i'd love to come help out during the build... make cuppas and learn :)

Time to create page: 0.496 seconds