Lambo door conversion

Replied by Cobber on topic Lambo door conversion

Posted 11 years 5 months ago #116170
I drove tow trucks in my younger days and did 10yrs as a volunteer firefighter for the Country Fire Authority.
Seen far too many upside down and had a lot of trouble trying to get the poor buggers out! :(

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• a Guest
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by a Guest on topic Lambo door conversion

Posted 11 years 5 months ago #116181
they are a number of super cars with fancy doors.gt 40,lambo,gull wing mercs,they have the same issue with roll over.and they have been crash tested.and they have solid roofs so they really are buggered in a roll.
lambo doors are really down to personal taste.but even if you dont want them on our own car most people would love to see them on someone elses car.I would want them on mine.well i would gine wouldnt.so i may just do my door.but i will love to see andys car when its done.and its the type of thing that will set the car apart from every ones else mg.
there are 3 types of people.those who love standard cars and those who love modified cars.
and those who drive standard cars but would love to drive a modified one.
by a Guest

Replied by Cobber on topic Lambo door conversion

Posted 11 years 5 months ago #116196
I have no objection to modified cars, It's the engineer purest in me that can't come at pointless modifications for modifications sake.
Form should follow function over aesthetics.
Now that can be the function it's original designer intended. In the case of the MGF a compromise of fun affordable sports car with user friendlyness, economy, safety, emissions, comfort, ease of manufacture etc.
Or it can be the function it's owner wishes to adapt it to. For instance the owner my wish to trade off some of the user friendlyness, comfort and emissions for increased performance, better handling etc.

Basically the right shape of something should be mainly dictated by what works best and if you can pretty it up without impeding it's function, well all the better!

Now the primary function of a door is to allow for access into and out of the car.
The secondary function is to provide both weather and accident protection for the occupants and security for both the occupants and the car itself.
There are tertiary functions too, such as somewhere convenient to mount stuff like mirrors, switches, speakers etc. But we wont worry much about that here.
By adding a fourth level of function: that of looking impressive.
We should ask ourselves is this going to inhibit the more important functions of the door? If we can answer no to that question, we can move on to the next question and that is: I s this modification going to adversely compromise any other features of the car, such as structural rigidity or add an undesirable weight penalty?
The answer to that last one partially depends on your intended use of the car.
The point is what do you want the car to do? Be a sports car for driving or a static show piece for impressing bogans (I believe you call them chavs).
As I say form should follow function.

Now I not saying all this to p1ss on someones parade, I just think we should all adopt a more holistic approach to our efforts.
It's not just aesthetics i question but a lot of so called performance modification too.
What's the point of having an engine in a car that makes a gazilion HP on a dyno with the radiator packed with dried ice, nitrous etc.
When in the real world on the road or track you can't repeat those HP figures gained in idealic conditions? What's the point of that dyno queen engine if it's utterly undrivable in the real world on road or track? What's the point of an engine in such a highly stressed state of tune that it needs to be rebuilt after every few hours or even minutes of running?
Very little I'd say.

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber
The following user(s) said Thank You: mogatrons

Replied by Rich in Vancouver on topic Lambo door conversion

Posted 11 years 5 months ago #116326

andywatson wrote: I've been driving 31 years and have only ever seen one car on its roof, that was a hard top and judging from the state of the car I doubt the driver survived. Rolling a car is a rarity more so in our cars due to the low centre of gravity. I thing the Lamborghini doors really suit the car, but the advantage of the kit I'm going for is that you don't have to lift the door if you don't wont to, it will open sufficiently to get out before it lifts.

Back in 1978 I rode a bus from Edinburgh to Lossiemouth and that afternoon saw 5 cars on their roofs.
It was in the summer so ice wasn't the cause. Maybe the brewery had a sale on???
Maybe lambo doors aren't for Scots! :drive:
Last Edit:11 years 5 months ago by Rich in Vancouver
Last edit: 11 years 5 months ago by Rich in Vancouver.

Replied by mgf bushdevil on topic Lambo door conversion

Posted 11 years 5 months ago #116375
Thanks Andy sent an email to nas and got a reply really quick with all the information needed including the YouTube video on how to fit so a big thumbs up for the help (so time to put some pennies away)
Cheers bushdevil (Keith)

Replied by Leigh Ping on topic Lambo door conversion

Posted 11 years 5 months ago #116383

Replied by Diesel Destroyer on topic Lambo door conversion

Posted 11 years 5 months ago #116458
Why fit them?

Ok I admit I've done a fair bit of modding to the standard NAS sport kit.. But try this

Park parallel to a garage wall.. 20"away.. (So there is 20" between the side of your car and the garage wall)

Now get out of the drivers door... Can you with standard hinges?

I fitted mine 1) looks.. And 2) easier to get in and out in tight parking

Coffee... Not everyone's cup of tea

Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

The following user(s) said Thank You: mogatrons

Replied by Diesel Destroyer on topic Lambo door conversion

Posted 11 years 5 months ago #116459

mgf -reborn wrote: they are a number of super cars with fancy doors.gt 40,lambo,gull wing mercs,they have the same issue with roll over.and they have been crash tested.and they have solid roofs so they really are buggered in a roll. .

The SLS has hinges that explode/blow in the event of the car being inverted..

Diesel Destroyer.. 'The bringer of dreams'

Replied by mgfman50 on topic Lambo door conversion

Posted 6 years 8 months ago #182979
i'm planning to convert my car to lambo doors in the summer. I have the NAS kit can you let me have photos of the himges of n situ plus hoe you got around the wiring problem
Mgfman50

Replied by mgtfbluestreak on topic Lambo door conversion

Posted 6 years 8 months ago #182980
Those lambo doors make the car look has if it's ready to fly off.

Replied by talkingcars on topic Lambo door conversion

Posted 6 years 8 months ago #183022

mgfman50 wrote: i'm planning to convert my car to lambo doors in the summer. I have the NAS kit can you let me have photos of the himges of n situ plus hoe you got around the wiring problem
Mgfman50

Sadly Alan "diesel destroyer" never got to finish his car, he moved to the states and got married instead......

Home to black Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 V6 Q4 ,green MGF VVC and red MG Maestro T16.

MG - the friendly marque.

Replied by John and Sue on topic Lambo door conversion

Posted 6 years 8 months ago #183032
Aside from owt else, I just luurve that shade of yellow and the stance of the car.
On the subject of accident escape, I wonder how many Bond Bug drivers were slowly cremated in the event of a rollover and fire?

It will be all right in the end. If it isn't all right yet, then it is not yet the end..

Last Edit:6 years 8 months ago by John and Sue
Last edit: 6 years 8 months ago by John and Sue.

Time to create page: 0.589 seconds