Intermittent Heater Fan/Switch

Replied by sikelsh on topic Intermittent Heater Fan/Switch

Posted 10 years 10 months ago #124534
I look like getting the meter out, where is the resistor pack? :-?
by sikelsh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by cairnsys on topic Intermittent Heater Fan/Switch

Posted 10 years 10 months ago #124537
http://www.the-t-bar.com/en/forum/9-mgf-tf-pitstop/74762-heater-blower-repair#77869 is a How to that explains how to repair the resistors, showing the location.

I agree with David, if the fault is with all speeds it's almost certainly not the resistor pack but a break elsewhere.

Robin ;)

Replied by the singing bush on topic Re:Re: Intermittent Heater Fan/Switch

Posted 10 years 10 months ago #124538
I'm sure there will be a better description but until then... Passenger footwell, remove glove box (carefully) then look for the 10mm single nut holding the air duct tube bolted near the bulkhead... Once undone, the ducting will be removable, look for a square shaped plug with what looks like a corner shaved off - it's held in by two Philips headed screws, unplug the plug and undo The wires - remove and you should have a rectangle shaped corner missing bit with some tarnished soldered coil type steel wire... The are the resistors - go for a ceramic replacement, the heat is warmer and they last longer :) you'll need to unsolder and resolder etc - in the right order.

• bensewell
  • bensewell's Avatar Offline
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!

Replied by bensewell on topic Re:Re: Intermittent Heater Fan/Switch

Posted 10 years 10 months ago #124539

the singing bush wrote: I'm sure there will be a better description but until then... Passenger footwell, remove glove box (carefully) then look for the 10mm single nut holding the air duct tube bolted near the bulkhead... Once undone, the ducting will be removable, look for a square shaped plug with what looks like a corner shaved off - it's held in by two Philips headed screws, unplug the plug and undo The wires - remove and you should have a rectangle shaped corner missing bit with some tarnished soldered coil type steel wire... The are the resistors - go for a ceramic replacement, the heat is warmer and they last longer :) you'll need to unsolder and resolder etc - in the right order.

I can confirm that scotts work is still lasting now in his cast off / my gain 'Bogey' is very warm at the moment.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the singing bush

Posted 10 years 10 months ago #124541
Thanks Ben, unfortunately Bogey has the stainless steel wire resistors - however proof that they were the best £6 and 30mins ever spent :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell

• bensewell
  • bensewell's Avatar Offline
  • Grand MGer
  • Grand MGer
  • A Bargain Spotter, Can-Do-er and eBay Addict!

Replied by bensewell on topic Re:Re: Intermittent Heater Fan/Switch

Posted 10 years 10 months ago #124542
It works thats all i'm interested in lol

Posted 10 years 10 months ago #124543
It's all that counts, the ceramic ones are cumbersome to solder and smell a bit at first - as for being hotter, I'm not sure. The TF's have great heaters anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bensewell

Time to create page: 0.467 seconds