I have a water leak-water pump?

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic I have a water leak-water pump?

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #9199

stamford;9191 wrote: Do I need to remove the panel that shrouds the windstopper and goes behind the seats? Or will the carpet and sound deadening material just pull from behind this?

Tank and cap are all okay, no staining. The tank was filled above the seam on pick up, what would the effect be of this? Would it vent out somewhere?

Thanks for the replies.

As said above, you shouldn't have to remove the t bar! The carpet etc should just pull out.

Overfilling can result in the excess being vented. Also the level will vary by 1-2 cm during an average driving day. It's better to check the level at the same time. ie before you set off in the morning.

There are also three types of expansion cap -

A flat topped black one (the oem one, and the best type) If you turn it over you should see a brass mechanism.

A yellow type, (Quinton Hazell) which is taller and means that the plastic lid doesn't close properly over it. They do work satisfactorily.

A black,taller type that halfords used to sell, looking like this underneath:-

These last ones are totally useless and vent off at 0.5 bar rather than the recommended 1 bar.

David
:shrug:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by stamford on topic I have a water leak-water pump?

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #9201
Thanks David, my cap is the OE one btw. I have been in contact with Russell of http://www.mgroversolutions.com/ and he has been very helpful. He seems certain that I have impending water pump and seal failure. Just waiting on a revised price as I am outside his working radius. Looking at the costs involved it will be cheaper for it to be done via him than take time off and do it myself. I'll also look to get the belt changed as that is a no-brainer and possibly the 60k service. Besides my back is not that great lately, too many years spent bending over an engine bay!

2000 MGF 1.8i SE Wedgewood
2002 MG ZS200 Trophy Blue
1999 Land Rover Discovery series 2 TD5

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #9203

stamford;9201 wrote: Thanks David, my cap is the OE one btw. I have been in contact with Russell of http://www.mgroversolutions.com/ and he has been very helpful. He seems certain that I have impending water pump and seal failure. Just waiting on a revised price as I am outside his working radius. Looking at the costs involved it will be cheaper for it to be done via him than take time off and do it myself. I'll also look to get the belt changed as that is a no-brainer and possibly the 60k service. Besides my back is not that great lately, too many years spent bending over an engine bay!

You know, that could have been me talking!

I used to work as a mechanic for a while, but the attraction of paying someone else to do it grows with age!!!

Russell is a good guy, and knows his stuff.

I would advise changing the belt tensioner at the same time.:bye:

David

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #9205

David Aiketgate;9203 wrote: You know, that could have been me talking!

I used to work as a mechanic for a while, but the attraction of paying someone else to do it grows with age!!!

Russell is a good guy, and knows his stuff.

I would advise changing the belt tensioner at the same time.:bye:

Couldn't agree more! I now look at most things and see if it is worth me doing it considering the aggravation and shorter fuse as I get older! Not to mention if it were my hourly rate!

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #9209

stamford;9205 wrote: Couldn't agree more! I now look at most things and see if it is worth me doing it considering the aggravation and shorter fuse as I get older! Not to mention if it were my hourly rate!

The funny thing is my hourly rate is getting higher every year, even though I'm retired!:yesnod:

David

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #9211

David Aiketgate;9209 wrote: The funny thing is my hourly rate is getting higher every year, even though I'm retired!:yesnod:

That's because the older you get the more precious your spare time is. Why toil under a car when you can be sitting comfortably, chilling with a pint of ale with your good wife and dog by your side in some nice snug cosy country pub ;)

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #10208
Well 'wedgie' is fit and well after Russell of www.mgroversolutions.com came down and sorted the problem. New water pump and cambelt done in the blink of an eye. I must say thanks for the recommendation David! :yesnod:

He is a top bloke and I shall be making sure others know of his services and excellent work.

Posted 14 years 8 months ago #10209

stamford;10208 wrote: Well 'wedgie' is fit and well after Russell of www.mgroversolutions.com came down and sorted the problem. New water pump and cambelt done in the blink of an eye. I must say thanks for the recommendation David! :yesnod:

He is a top bloke and I shall be making sure others know of his services and excellent work.

Good news, mate.

Glad Russell was up to his usual standard.:yesnod:

David

Time to create page: 0.518 seconds