VVC Air intake

VVC Air intake was created by Pharg55

Posted 6 days 15 hours ago #207318
  Hi all,

Something that's been puzzling me since I got the car, is there any advantage to fitting a VVC air intake to a non-VVC engine?
It's one of the oddities that I've found on my car
by Pharg55

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Notanumber on topic VVC Air intake

Posted 6 days 13 hours ago #207321
It depends on the year I think. I may be completely wrong here but I think the Mk1 F 120 1.8 mpi had a smaller mass airflow meter, a plastic inket manifold and a slightly restictive airfilter box. A popular upgrade at the time was to replace them with uprated items from the VVC. Later the same were standard on the 135 so became even easier to source (though it's plain metal manifold was rather less bling than the VVC's)

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Replied by Pharg55 on topic VVC Air intake

Posted 6 days 3 hours ago #207325
I think the PO has been trying to bling it up, the car is an 04 TF 115, the standard airbox has been replaced with a high flow cone filter, which I prefer anyway. I'm not going to change anything, it's running well, and you know what 'they' say - if it ain't effed, don't fix it!
by Pharg55

Posted 5 days 23 hours ago #207328
It would be interesting to see if was just for bling of if they had also changed any other less obvious bits. For instance 135 standard cams & injectors and a KMAPS / SAWS remap would easily take the 115 to between 130 and 140bhp depending on the map. The actual cc capacity difference between the 1.6 and 1.8 only counts for 5bhp, the rest of the difference in power is deliberately restricted by the cams, injectors and ECU map.  

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Posted 5 days 22 hours ago #207329
Good points there, I haven't gone into the engine much, maybe after I get it through the MOT I'll delve into it. Wife doesn't like the ooomph much, so that's a bonus!
Cheers!
by Pharg55

Posted 5 days 18 hours ago #207330
It could be worth emails to KMAPs and SAWS to ask if either have a record of supplying a map or exchanged ECU for your car. They can quickly check their records against your reg and VIN. Those two companies account for almost all remaps on K series engines and are always very helpful.

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Posted 5 days 14 hours ago #207333
I'll do that!
Thanks!
by Pharg55

Time to create page: 0.471 seconds