MG Special tool 18G 1741 - MGF fuel locking ring up to 2000MY

Having just had the same problem, I had a real fight when refitting that ring! Didn't have too much trouble removing it, but making sure that it was correctly aligned with the tank top threaded part, while pushing the tank unit down (due to there being some spring loading on it) it was a bit of a mare!
I actually oredered a 'universal' tool from Aliexpress, and was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't made from toffee!
It's a useable item, and only around £7 or so, including tax. Takes about a week to deliver though. 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006981570975.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.order_list_main.21.66671802BFd2bH
Last Edit:3 months 2 days ago by Pharg55
Last edit: 3 months 2 days ago by Cobber.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Thank you, that’s a great recommendation & at seven pounds worth having in the tool kit. I’ve fought with that screwed ring more than once & there’s every possibility we will cross swords again; to have the appropriate tool to hand overcomes the first (psychological) hurdle allowing you to concentrate on the job proper.
Last time I made a tin plate ring with a few rivets popped in & a pipe grip to create tension, it worked but as with so many jobs, a third & possibly fourth hand would have been useful.
M

Hi Pharg55

Thanks for reply. That is the same tool I purchased but when I offer it up the cross top bar is too big / legs too short hence me asking the question today. I will have another look in the morning but it wasn't having it earlier!

In the meantime I have found this going down the LR route, very similar to MG tool.

https://www.paddockspares.com/pm353-fuel-pump-spanner.html
Last Edit:3 months 2 days ago by bikerdave
Last edit: 3 months 2 days ago by psymon. Reason: Removing pasted image data

bikerdave wrote: Hi all

The fuel pump has died on my 97 MGF. I have done all the homework and got the parts ready to go etc. Got as far as taking all pipes, elec con etc off and then looked at that locking ring and understood why the special tool was created. I've wasted a tenner on a universal one, great when not all at angles, tight as etc. So my questions is does anyone have a 18G1741 that they would be willing to sell or rent to me or any other option on the tool? EDIT: It was also used on LR products as below, not sure if LR used the same tool designation so maybe there's another route?

I know the answer is hit it with a big piece of wood etc but I don't want to go down that route unless a real last resort. I didn't know if any of the clubs did tool hire, ex mgr dealers, current MG dealers who simply have the old MGR toolboard still etc, its been a while since I had the spanners out so all help is much appreciated.

Dave

Sorry, I had to delete your original post(above) due to the image code sending the forum doolally

David
:shrug:

Last Edit:3 months 1 day ago by David Aiketgate
Last edit: 3 months 1 day ago by David Aiketgate.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bikerdave

One or two nice nuggets there, a slight disappointment on the seven pounder, although the situation was retrieved by the Land Rover tool. It’s not a bad investment from Paddock if there are a few friends who might take advantage, as for me, as soon as the LR device was mentioned & the penny dropped, I now realise I’ve probably two or three that I could cadge.
M

Its in the post now, as soon as i get it i'll report back.

Replied by Pharg55 on topic MG Special tool 18G 1741 - MGF fuel locking ring up to 2000MY

Posted 3 months 1 day ago #207513
Yeah, it did give me some hassle, but it did help, even if it was only an eigth of a turn at a time. I plan to seek out this random piece of slotted bar in the shed, and cut it down to suit the diameter of the locking ring, that way it'll miss the structure above.
by Pharg55
The following user(s) said Thank You: bikerdave

Time to create page: 0.543 seconds