A quick flash!

A quick flash! was created by Airportable

Posted 1 month 2 weeks ago #207761
A week or so ago we discussed LED indicator lamps & I said I would order one of the three pole electronic offerings. I paid £3-50 for it & it arrived this morning, I should have been alerted to potential problems whilst viewing the listing on eBay; these are too large to fit into the board, or not in mine, whether the tf has a different relay base moulding I don’t recall. 
All is not lost, relay bases with tails are available but the kick in the tail is their cost, at £7-50, is plainly daft. 
All is still not lost; make your own tails. Three 1/4” faston (lucar) male & ditto female, on a short length of cable, males into the receptacles on the base & female onto the flasher unit. 
I like, if at all possible, to stick to the wire colour convention, which in this case light green & brown, light green & grey & black (I’m going from memory which isn’t good for me), I’ll have a root in the morning & if I’ve got a few inches of each I’ll make a loom & run a test. 
M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Cobber on topic A quick flash!

Posted 1 month 1 week ago #207763
'You'll have a Root in the morning"........Lucky you!.......here in Oz the word "root" is a euphemism for the act of carnal desire

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber

Replied by Airportable on topic A quick flash!

Posted 1 month 1 week ago #207768
It’s always useful to find out how colonials use our language & how it develops under their jurisdiction.
A musician friend of mine was on tour in the States & was troubled to hear that they had “fanny bags”
& was astonished to find a contraceptive being proffered when he requested a rubber to erase some lyrics he had drafted, but didn’t like.
Would it help if I were to use “route” in future, would that help to circumvent your obvious embarrassment.
As always it’s good to hear from you.
M

Posted 1 month 1 week ago #207774
I said I would try the adjustable flasher unit out & report back, what I actually did was put my shoulder out. This stupid action precludes any scrabbling about in the foot  well. I repaired to the workshop & simmered for a while under a cloud of my own frustration, having narrowIy missed falling over the dog I set up a test rig using a jury rigged wiring loom & assorted lamps, both incandescent & LED. 
I can confirm that the electronic unit will replace the original Lucas unit, at least under bench conditions. However they are not pin compatible as well as different physically. 
The poles are reversed, which is going to irritate if you manage to insert it into a socket designed for the Lucas unit. 
A picture might illustrate better. 
Last Edit:1 month 1 week ago by Airportable
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Airportable.

Replied by Cobber on topic A quick flash!

Posted 1 month 1 week ago #207775
Yeah I was thinking the pin out was probably different, I can remember when Ford Australia started using electronic flasher cans in the XD series Falcons whilst they used the same 3 pin pattern the pin out was arse about, thus preventing any interchanging of the two. And they weren't the only manufacturer do do so.
Which means as there is no standard for pin outs anymore you would mean to make sure the unit you buy has the comparable pin outs to the one you're replacing it with or be prepared to change the wiring to the socket.
Sounds like a world of trouble an d pain just to use Led bulbs........to what great advantage?
Going back to the original post the reason behind the change was because the colour of the lenses of the indicatoers was washed out, I assume the is probably because they've faded with time....the obvious solution is replace the faded indicators as they are only going to get worse and continue to fade, there by needing replacing sooner than later anyway, you're only delaying the inevitabe.
Possibly when you do need to replace them by that time new ones may be no longer available.
Or try using one of these instead of a clear bulb:

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last Edit:1 month 1 week ago by Cobber
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Cobber.

Replied by Roverlike on topic A quick flash!

Posted 1 month 1 week ago #207776
Some 10+ years ago when I tried to replace repeaters with LEDs I needed to use different relay, and I just bought relay which works with LED repeter lights, litteraly. However, MoT man did not let me use LEDs on repeater position and I needed to switch back. Dimension of that relay was different then original Lucas one so I needed to improvise to mount it, but that was all. I just used relay which works with LEDs instead of Lucase original one, and everything was working as it should, except one thing - sound of clicking when repeater was working was missing, so I needed to adjust myself to that I will be without sound.
Last Edit:1 month 1 week ago by Roverlike
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Roverlike.

Posted 1 month 1 week ago #207782
I persuaded a gullible family member, who is more sinuous than I, having put my neck out, to swap the standard Lucas flasher for the £3-50 offering & with the load resistors originally fitted to make the job work properly, removed it works a treat.
I have to say it’s all a bit of a fag when a standard incandescent lamp works fine & with minimum farting about.
Without the load resistors the LED’s are brighter but it’s a long haul to get the maximum advantage & in comparison to incandescent lamps, expensive.
M

Time to create page: 0.495 seconds