CVT gearbox issues

CVT gearbox issues was created by croxalldog

Posted 3 weeks 5 days ago #208517
My 2004 stepspeed box has, I think bit the dust. I can smell hot oil and the box is not generating much traction, its revving but going nowhere fast. Oil looks ok and its only done about 200m since the change  (correct oil used). I am assuming the worst unless anyone has any suggestions.
I can get hold of a replacement box out  of an MGF, I understand that these are the same. ( I assume that spares are very rare, and repair of the old would be difficult ). I was wondering if the subframe could be part dropped to remove the gearbox or if the entire frame has to come out, which looks difficult on the drive. By part dropped I mean remove fixing bolts from one side loosening the others and jacking up 1/2 the car so the the subframe swings on the remaining bolts giving me the clearance to remove the box.
Help please.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Cobber on topic CVT gearbox issues

Posted 3 weeks 5 days ago #208518
So few of us (myself included) here have any real experience with these boxes so you might be waiting a while for any useful info...
Sorry I can't be of anymore help and I used to rebuild automatic transmissions for a living..... even then I never had to encounter one.

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last Edit:3 weeks 5 days ago by Cobber
Last edit: 3 weeks 5 days ago by Cobber.
The following user(s) said Thank You: croxalldog

Replied by Notanumber on topic CVT gearbox issues

Posted 3 weeks 5 days ago #208519
There is some useful information on the Stepspeed auto box in the How To section of the forum. Also refer to sections on gearbox removal, engine removal etc. Several forum members have removed rear subframes on their drives so it is feasible. Use the search facility to find these threads as they will help you here.

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Replied by croxalldog on topic CVT gearbox issues

Posted 3 weeks 4 days ago #208574
I'm going to give it a go rather than write the car off. The body is in good condition.

Posted 3 weeks 4 days ago #208575
I think that is an excellent decision. The way to look at it is that every hour you now spend on it is another hour closer to having it back on the road. Every hour is a useful investment of your time.

Go for it and use this forum as a constant prompt, sounding board and agony aunt.

You  are not on your own with this.

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Last Edit:3 weeks 4 days ago by Notanumber
Last edit: 3 weeks 4 days ago by Notanumber.

Posted 3 weeks 3 days ago #208596
Ask Darren at Mgfntfbiz to see what he has by way of 2nd hand gearboxes. I've never had anything except fair prices and excellent service from him

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Posted 2 weeks 3 days ago #208721
Have you got hold of another Stepspeed box or are you converting the car to manual ?

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Time to create page: 1.934 seconds