Re:REAR PLASTIC SCREEN

REAR PLASTIC SCREEN was created by digcot65

Posted 4 months 11 hours ago #207020
Morning again Ive drilled all of the pop rivets out and the old screen is just held in ,by the zip Everyone says to remove the silver tab but on mine there is a small bit of Metal with 4 small " LEGS" that are crimped over .Its a bit of a job prizing the legs open .Im wondering if this is the way the factory fitted the tab Len
Last Edit:4 months 11 hours ago by digcot65
Last edit: 4 months 11 hours ago by Cobber.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by digcot65 on topic REAR PLASTIC SCREEN

Posted 4 months 10 hours ago #207023
Forgot to add another photo of a 2nd tab on the zip I take it,that this tab has to be prized off as well to enable the puller to go to the end.Its also stopping me from removing the two bits of plastic ,which are also in the way .If its going to be awkward I`l find it Len
Last Edit:4 months 10 hours ago by digcot65
Last edit: 4 months 10 hours ago by Cobber.

Replied by digcot65 on topic REAR PLASTIC SCREEN

Posted 4 months 9 hours ago #207024
It`s proving quite difficult to remove this tab,which holds the end two sections of the zip together Be better if I could get it into the vice but on the car of course

Replied by Cobber on topic REAR PLASTIC SCREEN

Posted 4 months 6 hours ago #207025

It`s proving quite difficult to remove this tab,which holds the end two sections of the zip together Be better if I could get it into the vice but on the car of course
Vicegrip pliers?

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber

Replied by Steve on topic Re:REAR PLASTIC SCREEN

Posted 4 months 5 hours ago #207028
Len, you dont need to remove the end (silver) just remove the staple, then slide the zip to the end and pull one side of the zip free, exactly as you would zip up a coat etc, to re fit its just the reverse with a staple.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
by Steve

Replied by Notanumber on topic Re:REAR PLASTIC SCREEN

Posted 4 months 3 hours ago #207029
The staple will prise out with the use of a small flat screwdriver and then a pair of small long nosed pliers in each hand. Its in place to convert an open ended zip that can be slid apart (such as a coat as Steve observed) into a closed ended zip so the ends can't be seperated in normal use.

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Replied by digcot65 on topic Re:REAR PLASTIC SCREEN

Posted 3 months 4 weeks ago #207030
Hello the zip was siezed into the end clip Len

Replied by Airportable on topic Re:REAR PLASTIC SCREEN

Posted 3 months 4 weeks ago #207031
Plusgas, persistence manipulation repeat.
M

Posted 3 months 4 weeks ago #207034
I tried tose three, but its seized solid just have to seperate them somehow. Were off on holiday tomrrow so forget about the car for a week Thank God my wife muttered Len

Replied by BruceTF135 on topic Re:REAR PLASTIC SCREEN

Posted 3 months 3 weeks ago #207061
As said previously, it should come apart like on a coat. That 4 pronged staple wasn't on mine. I doubt it was there originally as you are supposed to unzip the rear window and lie it flat before dropping the hood (not that many bother!).

You will need to free the metal bit at the very end, as if you can't, and you don't want to replace the hood, you will have to replace the zip - and you won't want to do that. Is your rear window actually split? The window cleans up really well with some suitable polish (Greygate, Meguires X-Plast, for example.

Somebody I met had their plastic rear window replaced cheaply by a place that makes boat covers.

Posted 3 months 2 weeks ago #207114
Just returned from a lovely weeks holiday in Dartmouth,staying at a superb detached house .Now Im fired up to start work again,on the TF Len

Posted 3 months 2 weeks ago #207116
Hello I have a really good replacement rear screen as the original one was awful . So its the next job on the list after the bodywork Len

Time to create page: 0.557 seconds