Early hood frame - scrap or save?

Early hood frame - scrap or save? was created by JeremyC

Posted 2 weeks 6 days ago #207055
I keep far too many bits! (and I have three classics!)

Recently I replaced the hood and frame on my '96 car with one from a later model. The original frame is taking up space in the garage and I'm inclined to take it to the tip.

Before I do I thought I'd just check that there weren't any good reasons for me to hang on to it. I figure there are still so many Fs being scrapped that a hood frame has zero value.

Your thoughts' appreciated, thanks.
by JeremyC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Notanumber on topic Early hood frame - scrap or save?

Posted 2 weeks 6 days ago #207056
If you have room in your loft or the back.of a garden shed it could be worth keeping it for the longer term. Ive certainly kept my old one and at some point will remove the old hood material so that the bare frame itself takes up less space . As you say there are plenty of good 2nd hand hoods sold with frames around whilst (sadly) Fs and TFs are being scrapped but that will soon change.

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Last Edit:2 weeks 6 days ago by Notanumber
Last edit: 2 weeks 6 days ago by Notanumber.

Replied by Airportable on topic Early hood frame - scrap or save?

Posted 2 weeks 5 days ago #207057
My car was fairly original when I bought it & as it was a 1998 car I decided to keep it as original as I could.
I knew very little about the ins & outs of the f & some might say that little had changed, however as I became more informed (?) I realised by tweeking here & there with tf parts incremental improvements could be made & the character remaining to all intents & purposes the same.
Things have advanced since then & there’s no going back for me now, but there is a movement within the classic car fraternity which strive for originality.
Maybe there is someone out there who has a more recent hood on an early car which they consider out of character & with their ideal being an early frame & plastic screen.
It isn’t really a talking point but you might retain an affection for it, my wife would want it in metal recycling with an unseemly haste.
I also kept a spreadsheet of parts & prices during that early period but that’s a subject for another post.
M

Time to create page: 0.449 seconds