Bodywork

Replied by digcot65 on topic Bodywork

Posted 2 months 6 days ago #207476
Given the MG two coats of base coat silver,but ran  out of thinners So will lightly flat paint with 2000 wet and dry and give final coat Len

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Posted 2 months 5 days ago #207484
Morning N/S is ready for final coat of paint ,but had a day off yesterday as it was my birthday 4 score years and 6 Len

Replied by Notanumber on topic Bodywork

Posted 2 months 5 days ago #207485
Many happy returns for yesterday Len. That cant be right though, I'd have placed you at 10 years younger.

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Replied by Airportable on topic Bodywork

Posted 2 months 5 days ago #207487
Four score years & six, Len’s just getting the revs up, when it’s four score & ten + , then your motoring. I’m rebuilding a pair of four pot AP’s for a friend & I’ve been making stainless pins as the originals are rubbish. Stood up at my lathe all afternoon & that’s after having taken the looong route to the opticians with the blueish sky being the overhead limit. No change from last time so no new glasses to break.
M

Replied by Notanumber on topic Bodywork

Posted 2 months 4 days ago #207494
The original standard mild steel pins in the AP's are definitely a weak point for maintenance as they rust weld themselves in place, especially at the end that is an interference fit. Stainless ones avoid that completely. I went the route of using the Mike Satur designed stainless pins that use cotter pins at both ends so avoid the need for an interference fit but they did need a small modification to the caliper to fit. They happened to come up first in a search, otherwise I would have gone for a stainless version of the standard interference fit pins .

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Posted 2 months 4 days ago #207499
The major problem with stainless into aluminium alloy is the corrosion cell which the two dissimilar metals create & the grot generated. If you are unaware of the problem you could be in an equally difficult situation as with the original design. I too am using stainless but will mitigate the problem by using copper grease, however my design has a Allen socket headed screw running through the calliper halves, the position of which can be tweaked whilst doing your wheel checks, ensuring their freedom when they are required to be removed.
There are a couple of stainless designs that I’m aware of, the Satur design & a second, not dissimilar to mine, which I found on eBay. Needless to say the second would be my choice as the “R” clips on the Satur design can be a fiddle & unlike the nuts used on the other, they could ping across the garage floor & under shelving that can’t be moved.
The difference between mine & the eBay offering is I have integrated the receiving thread into the rear calliper half, as opposed to a nut, which will make pad removal very straight forward.
M

Posted 2 months 4 days ago #207504
Unfortunately no I wish you could work magic . Still finding hi spots on rear wing I repaired,so may as well spend time flatting them out . Len

Posted 2 months 4 days ago #207505
Sorry Len I didn’t intended to hijack your post, any more chat on brake pins will be moved elsewhere.
If our overlords feel that these pin posts should be placed in a category of their own, I have no objections.
M

Posted 2 months 4 days ago #207507
No problem at all
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Time to create page: 0.519 seconds