Fuel pump

Fuel pump was created by NigelB

Posted 1 week 2 days ago #207263
Hi, My 2005 fuel pump died, I replaced it with a fuel pump from an earlier version with an adapter sleeve. This required modifying the wire connection to the pump (black to black and Red to Yellow) the unit was then reassembled and reinstalled. Cranked the engine but would not start. 
Pump could be heard running for a few seconds and whilst cranking. I clipped fuel inlet and return lines, no fuel flowing. 
I had removed the old fuel and replace either 12 litres of fresh petrol. 
Any ideas? Thanks NigelB
by NigelB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Notanumber on topic Fuel pump

Posted 1 week 2 days ago #207267
Try applying a direct + voltage to the pump and seeing if it runs so you can eliminate it being a wiring or relay fault

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Replied by Airportable on topic Fuel pump

Posted 1 week 2 days ago #207273
Do not make any test connections to a fuel pump if there is petrol vapour about. This is a valid test but make up a test cable specifically for this job & with a wire long enough to be away from fumes.
DO NOT CONNECT A COUPLE OF BARE WIRES ADJACENT TO WHERE PETROL VAPOURS COULD BE PRESENT, your car runs on petrol vapour & it is a tiny spark that makes the whole lot work, just think what a big fat spark could do with twelve litres of petrol in the vicinity.
M

• Cobber
  • Cobber's Avatar Online
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

Replied by Cobber on topic Fuel pump

Posted 1 week 2 days ago #207275

Airportable wrote: Do not make any test connections to a fuel pump if there is petrol vapour about. This is a valid test but make up a test cable specifically for this job & with a wire long enough to be away from fumes.
DO NOT CONNECT A COUPLE OF BARE WIRES ADJACENT TO WHERE PETROL VAPOURS COULD BE PRESENT, your car runs on petrol vapour & it is a tiny spark that makes the whole lot work, just think what a big fat spark could do with twelve litres of petrol in the vicinity.
M

As someone who's skillset includes "Shotfirer" (the modern politically correct term for Power Monkey) otherwise known as having a licence to blow shit up with explosives.......I can tell you it's always best to be a good distance away from the shit that goes bang when fiddle arseing about with sources of detonation....ie: naked flames, sparks etc.

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Replied by Pharg55 on topic Fuel pump

Posted 1 week 1 day ago #207276
Any pressure from the fuel filter?

If it's definitely running (mine died recently - on the MOT testers car lift!) I tested mine with a meter - power available when Igmition switched on, and then when cranking, as you've found.
Try reversing the connections, it's always possible that the pump wiring isn't correct. If that doesn't work, then I would think it's a bad pump.
by Pharg55

Replied by Notanumber on topic Fuel pump

Posted 6 days 22 hours ago #207301
Good safety advice there. Setup any lead first before applying power.

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Last Edit:4 days 2 hours ago by Notanumber
Last edit: 4 days 2 hours ago by Notanumber.

Time to create page: 0.513 seconds