Servicing?

Servicing? was created by Hogweed

Posted 1 month 1 week ago #207660
I've owned the little machine for 6 years now, lots of fun - but occasional. Partly because of my height, but also because that's what I enjoy, I only drive it when I can have the roof down - and if you're familiar with N Ireland, you'll know it rains a lot.

Because of this, I only clock up 3000 miles a year or less. So my question - times have become hard, and do I really need to pay somebody to service it annually, or could I just get the oil changed? At least every other year?

What do you do?

Last Edit:3 weeks 3 days ago by Hogweed
Last edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by Hogweed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Cobber on topic Servicing?

Posted 1 month 1 week ago #207661
I do it all myself, but of course I have the skills and equipment required to do so.......my way isn't viable for everybody

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hogweed

Replied by Notanumber on topic Servicing?

Posted 1 month 1 week ago #207662
Ive always done my own servicing and have only ever paid to have a service done on fairly recent cars where it might significantly affect it's resale value.
A pair of axle stands,a trolley jack, a socket set and popular sized spanners are pretty much all you need for servicing a TF unless you need to dive further.
For the mileage you are doing an oil change every other year is more than enough but do more regular checks on the oil, coolant and brake fluid levels, topping up where necessary. An annual check of the brake pads is always worthwhile.

A cam belt change should be done every 5 years. It can be done by an averagely competent weekend mechanic but is a bit of a pain due to the tightness of the crankshaft pulley bolt and the difficulty in accessing it in a rear engined car.

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Replied by Airportable on topic Servicing?

Posted 1 month 1 week ago #207670
Little used cars can be heavy on brakes!
WHAT!
Rust build up, if not regularly scrubbed away, can devastate pads & disc pitting is a problem.
The tf I had a while ago had horribly pitted discs & after only a short time, shredded pads.
It was fitted with four pot callipers & thus the 304mm discs, an expensive change for a spare sports car.
The f was always going to be No1 car & as there was bags of meat on the discs I had a skim taken of them & the set up was fine whilst it remained.
Worth keeping an eye on that & do a spot of heavy braking in the first half mile when your out.
Tyres take on flat spots & bearings brinell (speak to Ellisojo for further information).
M
Last Edit:1 month 1 week ago by Airportable
Last edit: 1 month 1 week ago by Airportable.

Replied by Hogweed on topic Servicing?

Posted 3 weeks 3 days ago #207811

Ive always done my own servicing and have only ever paid to have a service done on fairly recent cars where it might significantly affect it's resale value.
A pair of axle stands,a trolley jack, a socket set and popular sized spanners are pretty much all you need for servicing a TF unless you need to dive further.
For the mileage you are doing an oil change every other year is more than enough but do more regular checks on the oil, coolant and brake fluid levels, topping up where necessary. An annual check of the brake pads is always worthwhile.

A cam belt change should be done every 5 years. It can be done by an averagely competent weekend mechanic but is a bit of a pain due to the tightness of the crankshaft pulley bolt and the difficulty in accessing it in a rear engined car.
Last Edit:3 weeks 3 days ago by Hogweed
Last edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by Hogweed.

Replied by Hogweed on topic Servicing?

Posted 3 weeks 2 days ago #207838
"For the mileage you are doing an oil change every other year is more than enough but do more regular checks on the oil, coolant and brake fluid levels, topping up where necessary. An annual check of the brake pads is always worthwhile."

A cam belt change should be done every 5 years. It can be done by an averagely competent weekend mechanic but is a bit of a pain due to the tightness of the crankshaft pulley bolt and the difficulty in accessing it in a rear engined car."Sorry to those who replied - a catalogue of (non-car) disasters over the last couple of weeks meant I didn't see these replies till now. Yes I got the belt, pump and tensioner done last year, about 2500 miles ago (I mis-typed 300 miles a year originally - corrected to 3000 now, but I don't expect that will make any practical difference).

Unfortunately it's very difficult for me to do much in the way of maintenance these days - I have a sloping driveway which makes jacking the car up impractical.

OK in view of the low mileage, I think I'll skip any sort of service till next year. I do do the braking-to-clean-the-discs bit when she's been sitting for a week or two, but the discs and pads look good :-)

Thanks all 
Last Edit:3 weeks 2 days ago by Hogweed
Last edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by Hogweed.

Time to create page: 0.495 seconds