Constant Cam Seal Leaks

Constant Cam Seal Leaks was created by rainpants

Posted 1 month 6 days ago #207965
Hello friends.

Im hoping someone can assist in figuring out what the issue with my 1.8 135 TF might be. I have had a cam seal oil leak for a while now, so forgoing my limited mechanical know how, took it to the MGOC to have all the seals replaced.

All done, 100 miles later, leaking again.

Taken back to them, seals changed again, they tested, all good.

100 miles later, leaking again.

Most confusing - I have been told it may be a blocked breather that is causing too much pressure in the top that is blowing the seals - sound about right? My only other thought is that there may be a nick on the mating surface, but that wouldn’t explain the delayed leakage. Thank you in advance for any knowledge you may impart!

Cat tax for attention.
Last Edit:1 month 6 days ago by rainpants
Last edit: 1 month 6 days ago by Cobber.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Cobber on topic Constant Cam Seal Leaks

Posted 1 month 6 days ago #207968
Yeah pressure can build up within the crankcase causing oil to be pushed out through seals.

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber

Replied by rainpants on topic Constant Cam Seal Leaks

Posted 1 month 6 days ago #207969
Thanks Cobber, it gives me at least a new line of inquiry about finding the source. Do you know where I can find where the breather is on the K series?

Replied by neilpinleeds on topic Constant Cam Seal Leaks

Posted 1 month 3 days ago #208001
Could the seat for the seals in the housing be damaged? Happened with my gearbox oil seal.
Last Edit:1 month 3 days ago by neilpinleeds
Last edit: 1 month 3 days ago by neilpinleeds.

Replied by Cobber on topic Constant Cam Seal Leaks

Posted 1 month 3 days ago #208002
Yes indeed it could be so, however as you said seals, instead of just one seal, I consider it most likely that the seals themselves are a symptom and not being the root cause of the leaks

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Constant Cam Seal Leaks

Posted 1 month 3 days ago #208003
Engine breather pipes

David
:shrug:

Replied by Airportable on topic Constant Cam Seal Leaks

Posted 1 month 3 days ago #208004
It’s an interesting one this, an initial failure due to ageing is fair enough, but it’s not a failure I’m familiar with, how many others have had experience or even heard of it.
To then have further failures with the same seal is very strange.
Have the replacement hardened whilst sitting on a shelf waiting for their moment to shine, in which case the entire batch could be doomed to failure.
It wouldn’t take much damage of the casting or the shaft, to pass oil if the crank case is pressurised, although how much pressure would be required, if this were the case, is beyond my scope.
Do keep us posted on this, it’s very interesting.
One note on the breather pipes.
On my car, (1998 VVC) the original ignition coils were mounted low down & at the back of the engine. Like all HT systems they can fail & I changed one pack early in ownership, these days it is a wise move to replace these with new, which is a dear do, as heaven knows what a used one would be like.
So I modified mine to the plug top type, which was fine, although the cam cover required changing.
The breather pipes needed altering & I got the “suck” one on the “blow”.
On the test run all was well for the first mile & then smoke, lots of it.
It took me a while for the penny to drop & by then I’d convinced myself that the cat” was kacked.
After sorting it out & after a good distance behind me I managed to cook off all the kack & it sailed through the emissions on the next test.
M

Time to create page: 0.502 seconds