A shaggy dog story, or is it?

A shaggy dog story, or is it? was created by Airportable

Posted 3 weeks 3 days ago #208591
Whilst away a few weeks ago I visited a farmer friend who was showing me his latest acquisition, a very new & very expensive tractor. I love tractors, I got my first f as a swop for a Ferguson TED20. 
It had monitors which could display all its cameras or any combination, he found the wing cameras very useful on the narrow Norfolk lanes & unlike glass on stalks, he could clout them & simply twist them back & all was well. I liked that, a seed was sown. 
I bought some new wheels a month or so ago, they are 17” & until I resolve the rubbing on full lock I changed them back to the standards & left the car out last night, once done.
It started raining & quite hard so I rush around opening the garage to reverse the car in. 
Too much of a hurry, far too much & I gave the wing mirror such a crack that it needs replacing to make it presentable again. 
I happen to have a miniature camera & monitor & other oddments, does anyone have any recommendations as to my next move!
M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Cobber on topic A shaggy dog story, or is it?

Posted 3 weeks 3 days ago #208593
One potential fly in the ointment, The MG being a roadster has a removable top, and the image on the monitor will likely be washed out and next to un-viewable when the top is down on a bright sunny day!.............No scrub that thought, you lot don't have bright sunny days.........what was I thinking?

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Replied by Airportable on topic A shaggy dog story, or is it?

Posted 3 weeks 2 days ago #208602
There have been precious few days this year when washout of the image would have be a problem; summer was the washout.
I consider putting the car on a SORN early & start the annual rust hunt but it can still be driven with the hood up or hard top on.
I don’t want to get it thoroughly drenched as I want to give the subframes a once over. It’s bone dry now & I can squirt Waxol/Lanoguard into the box sections.
We might not import Australian wool any longer but we’re doing well with the lanolin brought in from Cobberland.
I might post a picture of my experiment later, as a collection of loosely related parts from my collection of oddments it’s promising & I’ve made a reasonable fist of repairing the original wing mirror.
M

Replied by Notanumber on topic A shaggy dog story, or is it?

Posted 3 weeks 2 days ago #208603
I've got a presentable pair of manual mirrors gathering dust if you get stuck

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Posted 3 weeks 2 days ago #208604
Thanks, I’ve a pair in stores somewhere, again manual but once parts are transposed they would be fine. I did some more on the camera project this morning.
I ducked out of Church due to designing something until the early hours but still found my way to the workshop by ten.
M

Posted 3 weeks 2 days ago #208609
Three pictures of a few bits done amongst other things. It’s all gone in a pending box whilst I get on with other things. 
One of many problems I have is getting an idea & pushing it to a point where the system is proved to the detriment of more important jobs. 

Replied by Cobber on topic A shaggy dog story, or is it?

Posted 3 weeks 2 days ago #208610
That bloody great section of modular alloy strut could be a source of new and interesting wind noises at speed.
You can get plastic sections that snap into those adjustment track tee slots to give it a flush surface, that would go a long way to help reduce any buffeting wind noise, but you wont be able to do much about how the square section and knuckle joints cut bludgeon their way through the air.
I'm not saying don't try it, but don't be surprised if the results have the side effects I mention.

Mind you being an open topped car there is already a cacophony of wind noises anyway, so one more may not bother you much......just another instrument in the orchestra!

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last Edit:3 weeks 2 days ago by Cobber
Last edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by Cobber.

Posted 3 weeks 2 days ago #208611
This is a collection of oddments from around the workshops, your correct in your analysis. If I stick with the extrusion I’ll turn the excess off & just keep the end section on to which the knuckles index.
The results are reasonable without too great an effort, there’s a method of negating the lateral inversion which needs exploring but if I can’t hack that it doesn’t really matter, I need to know what’s coming along, I don’t need to read the registration number.
M

Time to create page: 1.435 seconds