OIL FOR FLUSHING ENGINE AFTER DRAINING.

OIL FOR FLUSHING ENGINE AFTER DRAINING. was created by D4KGP

Posted 2 weeks 6 days ago #208650
Hi everyone I have another question in regard to my TF:  I want to flush the engine through after draining the coffee coloured oil & water emulsion,  so what I thought about doing was to use diesel engine oil + flushing additive and hopefully this will get rid of the remainder of the emulsion, after which I would do a normal oil change.
  Any helpful comments or advice would be most welcome.  Many thanks.  Regards to all.  Glyn. 
by D4KGP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Cobber on topic OIL FOR FLUSHING ENGINE AFTER DRAINING.

Posted 2 weeks 6 days ago #208652
Is it a VVC engine? as most engines with variable valve timing oil pressure is used to change the timing and putting the incorrect viscosity of oil in can lead to detrimental effects, non VVC engines will be much more tolerant of the use of different oil.
I get that you want to use a high detergent oil to clean the crap out, how bad was the coolant contamination?  With minor contamination clean oil + filter and a seriously long drive will probably boil it off, 300-400 km. If you do decide to run some diesel motor oil through it do make sure that it meets the specifications required and change it and the filter at the same time.
An idiot mate of mine managed to drown the 5.8 litre V8 engine of a Ford F250 4x4 truck in the Shoalhaven river, The engine was properly drowned with the cylinders all full of water. I managed to jack the truck up high enough to be able to remove the sparkplugs  and wind it over to blow the water out, then put enough packing under the tyres managed to start it and drive it out, immediately shut it down and found the sump was full of water, I drained it changed the oil and filter then drove it back home a distance of @ 470 km, checked the oil when I got back and there wasn't a trace of snot in the oil or engine. But the important thing to note is the engine had not been run for long with a gut full of water so the oil and water didn't get to really mix. That was @ 1999 and that same engine has survived without any problems to this day, we did change the engine in the F250 but only to jam a 7.5 litre V8 into it, the old 5.8 V8 lives in my Series 3 Land Rover these days!

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber

Replied by Airportable on topic OIL FOR FLUSHING ENGINE AFTER DRAINING.

Posted 2 weeks 6 days ago #208655
When I fitted a 200tdi into the lightweight I was concerned that the engine would bugger off down the road & have to wait for the rest of the Landy to catch up. It comes as no surprise that you would drop such a monster lump in an S3 & I’d bet you rag the arse out of it (had a jolly bag full of merry japes) in old English.
What transmission & more important what brakes?
M

Posted 2 weeks 6 days ago #208656
I adapted a Ford C4 Auto transmission to the transfer case, and the brakes the standard 109 1 ton brakes.... could be better.
It's not the only highly modified Landy that I've had, the was a series 2A 88 with a 3litre Holden inline 6 and another Series 2A 88 with a Leyland P76 4.4 litre V8.
The series 3 actually had another P76 V8 in it before it got the Ford engines.....it's had a few 1st one was a 4.7 then a 4.9 and finally the 5.8

Last Edit:2 weeks 6 days ago by Cobber
Last edit: 2 weeks 6 days ago by Cobber.

Replied by D4KGP on topic OIL FOR FLUSHING ENGINE AFTER DRAINING.

Posted 2 weeks 5 days ago #208660
Hi thanks for your input, the oil/water contamination was like coffee coloured emulsion paint that why I thought it had better be flushed out/through. Re the VVC timing: The diesel oil & flushing additive would only be used for a short time until the motor reached temperature then drained. Thanks Glyn.
by D4KGP

Posted 2 weeks 5 days ago #208662
Hi I don't understand what this has to do with the question I posed?
My question was about flushing an engine through.
But thanks anyway. Glyn.
by D4KGP

Replied by Notanumber on topic OIL FOR FLUSHING ENGINE AFTER DRAINING.

Posted 2 weeks 5 days ago #208668
Last time I flushed an engine I must admit I just bought some proprietary engine flush from Halfords. I drained the original contaminated oil, changed the filter for the cheapest new one i could find, poured in the flushing oil and ran the engine for the time it said on the bottle. Once id switched it off I drained the flushing oil, changed the filter for a new one again (better quality) and refilled with new oil.

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Posted 2 weeks 5 days ago #208670
Hi yes that what I done when I first had my F. But the TF has a lot of contaminated oil/emulsion paint that has gone through the oil galleries. I may be wrong but I'm sure the late MGJohn (May he rest in peace) once suggested using Diesel engine oil to do a flush. Anyone else aware of this?
Thanks Glyn.
by D4KGP

Posted 2 weeks 5 days ago #208673
as I said so long as the diesel oil used meets the specs it should pose no problems

by Cobber
The following user(s) said Thank You: D4KGP

Replied by Airportable on topic OIL FOR FLUSHING ENGINE AFTER DRAINING.

Posted 2 weeks 5 days ago #208675
The digression through Land Rover lore happens from time to time when Cobber & I find ourselves, once more, on common ground.
It’s my fault.
M

Posted 2 weeks 5 days ago #208682
No problem, it made me chuckle when I saw it.
by D4KGP

Time to create page: 0.719 seconds