Remote boot release.

Remote boot release. was created by TA22GT

Posted 6 days 22 hours ago #208802
I know this has bound to have been discussed and sorted but I saw on Ebay a remote boot release with a button on the dash "to open the boot remotely for passengers without getting out of the car".

I'm thinking about the time when I WILL lock my keys in there.
I would give it a permanent live feed and install it under the boot lid at the engine cooling vents, hidden just enough to allow my finger to give it a push when needed. Security is not top of my list.
It wouldn't matter about being connected to my fob or key for the immobiliser because once opened I would have the keys in my hand!
Thoughts and better idea's all welcome.....oh........and the best place to buy a new fob and cut key. I have only one fob and key at the moment. Can it be done from the VIN number?

Thanks!
Brian

by TA22GT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by judiths handyman on topic Remote boot release.

Posted 6 days 20 hours ago #208803
Last things first.
I got a new (oval) fob from remote key ltd in Christchurch.£88.80 inc vat and postage.
Having tried 2 qty expert locksmiths locally I gave in and visited the MG owners club in Swavesey who programmed it in for £58.50 in half an hour.
The fob comes with a code, that code printed on the outer packet is necessary for programming purposes.
Having secured a second set of keys I decided a remote boot latch was unnecessary and therefore didnt fit one.
I prefer that as a boot accidentally popping open at 70 miles an hour is most unappealing, also I think it more secure without.
But I am disciplined, whenever I open the boot, the fob goes straight in my trouser pocket.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TA22GT

Replied by Cobber on topic Remote boot release.

Posted 6 days 20 hours ago #208804
What shape is your fob? I ask because there are two different types and it makes a big difference to how you go about setting up a spare fob.

Early type

Late type

it's relatively easy to program another fob  if it has the earlier Lucas 5AS alarm system, using the excellent PScan OBD diagnostic unit..........Of course you do have one of these units, don't you? Then I can see you buying one in the near future.
Note there are different frequencies  required for different markets Australia and Japan possibly some others require 315MHz all others require 433MHz make sure you get the right one for your location. The reason for this is it is requirement of the government authorities in these countries that allocate frequencies, obliviously 433MHz is being used for some other purpose other than car remotes in OZ and Japan.

If you have the later Pektron alarm system it's a little more involved, I've not had to do one of these but I believe that you have to have the barcode that originally came with the fob or you cant do it, there are those here how will be able to shed more light on the process for these units. But the same situation will apply to the radio frequencies as above.

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last Edit:6 days 20 hours ago by Cobber
Last edit: 6 days 20 hours ago by Cobber.

Replied by TA22GT on topic Remote boot release.

Posted 6 days 20 hours ago #208805
Thank you Judith's personal mechanic....a very precise reply. 

I have the square fob but I would need to send it off to be programmed so I thought to get the key done at the same time. I also admire your discipline but it is mindfulness I suffer from...lol.

Cobber!  No I don't have a P Scan yet but I took your very subtle and delicate hint that I should get one! I am sure I will as I go along but right now more exciting things need to be done like better brakes. 
It does appeal to me though to fit a boot release for when that day comes. Fitting it outside the car means I don't have to break a window to activate it when the car is locked. 
by TA22GT

Replied by judiths handyman on topic Remote boot release.

Posted 6 days 20 hours ago #208806
Mine is the later fob, but if you speak to the very personable young chap at remote key he will keep you right. Unlike a lot of modern companies they have a telephone and actually answer it.  tel 07486 860993
Can I just say that the bar code comes with the fob, ebay is a source for fobs, but without that barcode the job is as stated by Cobber, impossible, hence the reason for going to a reputable supplier for it.
Next on the list is the fitment of a resonant antenna on the receiver attached to the locks, so we dont have to be hugging the car door just to get it open. 
I reckon velocity, 300,000 m/second, the speed of light, divided by 430 mhz ish is a full wave of around 70cm so a half wave is 350mm ish long.
I intend one day to attach a wound coil of that length to see if it helps.
Maybe next spring, when the sun comes out again.
Last Edit:6 days 19 hours ago by judiths handyman
Last edit: 6 days 19 hours ago by judiths handyman.

Posted 6 days 20 hours ago #208807
I had an Alfa Romeo 105 series GTV2000, it had quite a novel location for the boot release lever.

Inside the drivers door aperture, now although this was of the lever and cable type, maybe you could put your release button in a similar secure location.
Just a random idea.

by Cobber

Posted 6 days 19 hours ago #208808

Thank you Judith's personal mechanic....a very precise reply. 

I have the square fob but I would need to send it off to be programmed so I thought to get the key done at the same time. I also admire your discipline but it is mindfulness I suffer from...lol.

Cobber!  No I don't have a P Scan yet but I took your very subtle and delicate hint that I should get one! I am sure I will as I go along but right now more exciting things need to be done like better brakes. 
It does appeal to me though to fit a boot release for when that day comes. Fitting it outside the car means I don't have to break a window to activate it when the car is locked. 

I'm so glad you got my subtle hint, Yeah, I'm as about as subtle as a 3rd ball on a greyhound!

by Cobber

Posted 6 days 19 hours ago #208809
Thank you for that telephone number! Speaking to someone is right up my street.

The only reason for putting it under the boot lid close to the vents is because the car might be locked when I leave the keys in the boot and hence wouldn't be able to gain access to an inside button. .......and........shouldn't you be sleeping?!
by TA22GT

Posted 6 days 16 hours ago #208816
I'm at work.........night shift.......they pay me to do this......well they pay me to wait for the production operators to break something, but I do this whilst waiting.

by Cobber

Replied by D4KGP on topic Remote boot release.

Posted 6 days 16 hours ago #208817
Hi I met a chap with a MGTF at a local car show who had fitted one, he positioned the button near the number plate lights it was very well concealed. Glyn.
by D4KGP

Posted 6 days 16 hours ago #208818
Of course you could use a key switch

by Cobber

Posted 6 days 15 hours ago #208819
Thanks for that D4KGP....I have been thinking of other places than where I first thought such as under the boot vents and that has inspired me. 
I live in a forest and almost never park in multi story car parks etc. so security is not high on the list but not getting stuck at the side of the road is!

Well Cobber I don't feel so bad knowing you are getting paid to help me and I am of course passing the time away for you....win win..lol.

Key switch? Can you explain more please.
by TA22GT

Time to create page: 0.531 seconds