Remote boot release.

Replied by TA22GT on topic Remote boot release.

Posted 6 days 13 hours ago #208820

Thank you Judith's personal mechanic....a very precise reply. 

I have the square fob but I would need to send it off to be programmed so I thought to get the key done at the same time. I also admire your discipline but it is mindfulness I suffer from...lol.

Cobber!  No I don't have a P Scan yet but I took your very subtle and delicate hint that I should get one! I am sure I will as I go along but right now more exciting things need to be done like better brakes. 
It does appeal to me though to fit a boot release for when that day comes. Fitting it outside the car means I don't have to break a window to activate it when the car is locked. 

I'm so glad you got my subtle hint, Yeah, I'm as about as subtle as a 3rd ball on a greyhound!

I think you just growl and leave the biting to others!! lol

by TA22GT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Airportable on topic Remote boot release.

Posted 6 days 12 hours ago #208822
Obviously you have to have an actuator of some type, I use a central locking linear actuator, taking an unswitched positive from the boot light, a simple push to make button in the arm rest cubby has been a favourite, mine happens to be in the old ash tray. I also have a second fob communicating with a receiver in the boot; it allows me to control other things, but it allows the boot to be popped from a distance when returning with a shopping trolley full of groceries. Much easier than juggling keys when trying to handle a recalcitrant trolley in the rain.
M
The following user(s) said Thank You: TA22GT

Posted 6 days 12 hours ago #208823
@Airportable......I am noticing that you come up with some ingenious idea's!!

As suggested above I like the idea of having it outside the car and near the number plate lights. The kit comes with a solenoid and the push button switch. I could mount the switch between the number plate lights and cover it with a domed rubber grommet. It would be hard to tell it was a switch.

by TA22GT

Replied by Cobber on topic Remote boot release.

Posted 6 days 11 hours ago #208824
Yeah it's a switch that needs a key to operate it
Like this one:

just a simple on/off switch, they're used in industrial applications all the time. the trick is not to have it on the same key ring.
Perhaps keep a copy of the key in your wallet.
Then again just keep a copy of your boot key in your wallet.

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last Edit:6 days 11 hours ago by Cobber
Last edit: 6 days 11 hours ago by Cobber.

Posted 6 days 11 hours ago #208826
Ah got it Cobber.
I was thinking if I took an incoming live to the boot lock and ran it through the new momentary switch and out to the other side of the lock it would do the same thing as the key. Yet you could still use the key..until I lock it in the boot...
I haven't got the TF in my head yet and the car is locked up so I am just working it out in my head..there's not a lot in there to help me!
by TA22GT

Replied by Airportable on topic Remote boot release.

Posted 6 days 10 hours ago #208827
There is one significant negative to mounting the switch, whether it be key or momentary low down at the rear of the car & that, dear friends is shit. I’m sorry there is simply no other word but shit.
The eddies that are created as you travel & the turbulence there in, will draw grot into your switches, either from the front or if mounted through the plastic work, the back. One salty winter & that will be it, even a good quality switch would suffer & there are precious few of those now. You’ll be so pissed off when it doesn’t work, that in your ill humour you’ll end up locking your keys in the boot.
QED
My “interesting ideas” are born out of life on the edge of the unhinged. In the past I’ve been asked to design items for inclusion in classic cars to provide more up-to-date facilities & my long suffering car acted as a test bed. As such it is tasteful littered with all manor of trinkets waiting to cause me grief. However it’s a great way to keep what’s left of the cerebellum in working order.
M
The following user(s) said Thank You: TA22GT

Replied by Cobber on topic Remote boot release.

Posted 6 days 10 hours ago #208828
Ah yes well here in Oz we don't suffer salted roads, we keep the salt for our chips!

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber

Time to create page: 0.555 seconds