Pscan on Chromebook

Pscan on Chromebook was created by Fireline

Posted 3 weeks 5 days ago #208024
  Hi. I am setting up Pscan on my chromebook. I appear to have installed Linux ok, and I seem to have user permissions and file permissions, but every time I click on the Pscan download to open it, it just downloads another copy of the loader. The files appear to be "read only" despite the Linux connection. Any ideas?
Last Edit:3 weeks 5 days ago by Fireline
Last edit: 3 weeks 5 days ago by Fireline.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by pscan.uk on topic Pscan on Chromebook

Posted 3 weeks 4 days ago #208026
there are four versions of the pscanloader file for Linux. Which one did you download?

Replied by Fireline on topic Pscan on Chromebook

Posted 3 weeks 4 days ago #208037
Pscanloader (64-bit), which I think may be the error. My other laptop is 64 bit, but I don't think the Chromebook will cope with that. I'll try the 32 bit version, and see how I get on. Rookie mistake!
Last Edit:3 weeks 4 days ago by Fireline
Last edit: 3 weeks 4 days ago by Fireline.

Posted 3 weeks 4 days ago #208040
Right, I am back to here, with the pscanloader in my downloaded files. What should I do now?

Replied by Twffr on topic Pscan on Chromebook

Posted 3 weeks 3 days ago #208053
I followed the Linux installation instructions on the pscan website. I'm using a Debian Linux distribution not ChromeOS. 

I downloaded pscanloader to $/Downloads/ from my Web browser.

Using the desktop graphical file app, I navigated to Downloads in my home directory.

I right-clicked pscanloader and dropped to Properties then to Permissions. I then selected the executable option then OK.

I hadn't used the terminal to make these changes and only opened it to check membership of the dialout group - again, instructions on pscan website.

A double-click on psacanloader file from the desktop file browser (app) runs the program as expected, initially downloading the pscanapp and the licence.

Being a Linux newbie I had previously moved the pscanloader to a directory for which I didn't have permissions and it couldn't download the additional programs. Keeping it in one of the /home/ directories was the solution. A note to that effect in the instructions could be useful to another novice!

I'm extremely pleased with my pscan.

Good luck!
by Twffr

Posted 3 weeks 3 days ago #208055
My problem at the moment is that if I right click on Pscanloader, I don't get an entry for "Properties!" I have the loader on the machine, but it won't open no matter what I do. If I double click it, it downloads another copy instead!

Posted 3 weeks 3 days ago #208059
My guess this a web link not the actual file. Look again at how you are downloading from the website. You may only be copying the link. Check your browser help if you ate unsure.
by Twffr

Posted 3 weeks 2 days ago #208064
I've just climbed out of another rabbit hole called chromeos! Seems that Linux only works in ChromeOS through the command line terminal and not through the graphical interface (which is just the Chrome browser). But the pscan website has the terminal commands you need.

But I still think your first problem is getting the Chrome web browser to download the actual pscanloader program. I suspect Chrome only wants to download from the Play/Chrome store. I haven't found information to change that.

Good luck. Chris 
by Twffr

Posted 3 weeks 2 days ago #208069
Thanks. The file is downloading, because I can see it saved on the system with a file size. However, I don't know what to type into the terminal to get it to open in Linux. I don't know if it's something I'm doing, or just something so simple that I'm not seeing it.

Replied by Roverlike on topic Pscan on Chromebook

Posted 3 weeks 2 days ago #208070
To run .exe files on Chromebook you need to install Wine or CrossOver emulator within Linux Penguin. Have you done that? What emulator you installed?

Posted 3 weeks 2 days ago #208071
Ah, I haven't done that. It didn't say anything about it in the Pscan site instructions! Right, how do I go about doing that?

Replied by Roverlike on topic Pscan on Chromebook

Posted 3 weeks 2 days ago #208073
That is not part of pscan instruction. That is specificity of Chromebook itself. You would need to go to Google Play store and download one of them, if I am not mistaken. 
i am not Chromebook owner, I am merely reading what is written from Google. Chromebook is Google product.

Moderators: pscan.uk
Time to create page: 0.621 seconds