Pscan on Chromebook

Replied by Fireline on topic Pscan on Chromebook

Posted 3 weeks 3 days ago #208088
I have now installed Crossover, and it seems to be in the system properly, and yet double clicking on the Pscanloader file just downloads another copy of it! Think I might just give up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Cobber on topic Pscan on Chromebook

Posted 3 weeks 3 days ago #208089
I have a simple solution that is cheap and cheerful......... find yourself an cheap old windows laptop which you dedicate to diagnostic duties,  as a bonus  you wont care if it gets grease and crap all over it and it it wont be the end of the world if you drop it or some other drama befalls it!

This is the one I currently use for all diagnostic apps. it cost me next to nothing as it was given to me with a buggered hard drive, so I threw a new SSD (for reliability and robustness)in it and set it up with Windows 10 (it was originally built running 7) None of my personal data is kept on it, if and when it needs to go online it is protected by Avast (a free antivirus App) not that there is anything on this machine that would be of any interest or use to a malicious actor.
I've been using this for @ 5 or so years, with out any drama. It's small enough to easily use and carry in the car.

It's also amusing to see the look on spectators faces when they see I'm using a "Ferrari" laptop for diagnosing my MG, Ford or whatever.

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last Edit:3 weeks 3 days ago by Cobber
Last edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by Cobber.

Posted 3 weeks 3 days ago #208093
I may yet have to. I don't want Pscan on my main laptop as it is a large screen one (so weighs quite a bit). I have this Chromebook kicking around, and hoped I could load it onto there. After buying the scan interface, I didn't want to have to shell out more on more tech!

Replied by Twffr on topic Pscan on Chromebook

Posted 3 weeks 2 days ago #208097
I understand that Crossover and Wine enable a Chromebook to behave like a limited Windows laptop.  I would have one more go and download the Windows 32 bit version of pscan onto a USB drive attached to your Windows laptop then transfer it to your Chromebook (within its Wine environment). Then proceed with the Windows installation. 

Otherwise, delete ChromeOS completely and replace with a very lite Linux distribution. Google is your friend to help you do that.

I'm using an ancient Acer EePC netbook and it's much, much easier to have in the car than a full sized laptop. Good luck.

by Twffr

• Bertl
  • in the middle of the midlife crisis

Replied by Bertl on topic Pscan on Chromebook

Posted 3 weeks 2 days ago #208098
Great minds think alike @Cobber. 
Old 32-bit Dell laptop, does the job. Win 7 and Linux on it.

as ever,
Rob
http://www.reliant-scimitar.weebly.com/

Last Edit:3 weeks 2 days ago by Bertl
Last edit: 3 weeks 2 days ago by Bertl.

Posted 2 weeks 3 days ago #208175
I am much closer now, but still no joy. I have got Crossover open, created the 64-bit bottle but the Linux Pscanloader doesn't come up on Crossover as an Installer program. Should I be trying to load the Linux version or the Windows version? Thanks.

Posted 2 weeks 3 days ago #208176
Sorry, should have said that I launch the Windows pscan exe file from my downloads folder, via "Install with Crossover" tab. It opens, creates the bottle, says it is installing, even invites me to try Crossover. However, I then get a black command screen pop open, and this is soon followed by a message saying that pscanloader has encountered a serious problem, and needs to shut down. Crossover doesn't seem to recognise the file as an installer?

Posted 2 weeks 3 days ago #208178
Kept beavering, and I have got even closer. I have got Crossover to accept the installer, I have even been prompted to accept the licence agreement, but when I open the drop down to choose port, there is nothing there, even though the pscan is plugged into the car! It does see the pscan initially when I plug it in, but it is not available in my files or settings menus, and I can't see any way to "force" recognition. Suspect a restart may help at this point. There is a green flashing light on the pscan. Just annoying to get so close, and....!

Last Edit:2 weeks 3 days ago by Fireline
Last edit: 2 weeks 3 days ago by Fireline.

Posted 2 weeks 3 days ago #208184

Replied by Roverlike on topic Pscan on Chromebook

Posted 2 weeks 3 days ago #208185
As it says on the screen: You do not have FTDI driver loaded. 

if you used Windows version of the pscan, then you skipped the step where you should Install the device driver?

Posted 2 weeks 3 days ago #208188
I used the Linux version of the loader, because I tried the windows version, and it didn't like that much. I also tried to download the driver when I was doing the windows version, and that didn't seem to work, either.

Posted 2 weeks 3 days ago #208189
I also tried to add the driver, or get the system to recognise it, in Linux. It finds the device at port 0, but not when the dropdown menu to install pscan is opened. 

Moderators: pscan.uk
Time to create page: 0.837 seconds