Rare New Genuine MG 2 Pot AP Red Brake Calipers

• PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: Render ebay item Applications from this IP address are limited in the number of calls they can make.. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by mogatrons on topic Rare New Genuine MG 2 Pot AP Red Brake Calipers

Posted 10 years 3 months ago #145046
They'll be 2005 stock then :coffee: ..... I know MGR were in rabid cost cutting mode by then, but seriously ? ... what's the point ? :dunno: ... I'm staggered AP gave their name to them actually.

Incidentally, did the later NAC models use 2 or 4 pots? ...

• PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Replied by PQD44 on topic Rare New Genuine MG 2 Pot AP Red Brake Calipers

Posted 10 years 3 months ago #145047

mogatrons wrote: .... what's the point ? :dunno: ......

:pop: If you were looking to replace like for like stock calipers these are about the same price as new standard calipers but do look better and possibly slightly better performance/resistance to brake fade due to heat?
by PQD44

Replied by mogatrons on topic Rare New Genuine MG 2 Pot AP Red Brake Calipers

Posted 10 years 3 months ago #145050
I suppose fade characteristics are commensurate with the 'genuine' article and that's an improvement over 240's ... but it's actually the 4 piston grip that provides the biggest gain attributable to the big brake setup ... the increased disc size helps of course, but is actually a necessity for heat sink due to the 4 pot callipers ... or so I've read. ;)
Last Edit:10 years 3 months ago by mogatrons
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by mogatrons.

Replied by Badger on topic Rare New Genuine MG 2 Pot AP Red Brake Calipers

Posted 10 years 3 months ago #145074

mogatrons wrote: They'll be 2005 stock then :coffee: ..... I know MGR were in rabid cost cutting mode by then, but seriously ? ... what's the point ? :dunno: ... I'm staggered AP gave their name to them actually.

Incidentally, did the later NAC models use 2 or 4 pots? ...

The image below shows the 2009 LE 500 with V spoke alloys, these are the same original wheels as fitted to my 2005 TF; but they are 15" rims so the 4 potters should not fit!
Maybe some LE's had smaller discs with the AP 2 potters "strange"

by Badger
Attachments:

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Rare New Genuine MG 2 Pot AP Red Brake Calipers

Posted 10 years 3 months ago #145076
The 2 pot aps fit the 304 discs. I think they probably fit under more of the 16" wheels than the 4 pot.
As the physics of braking force depend on the distance from the centre of revolution to the brake pads I imagine they will actually give the same or similar braking force as the 4 pots. They may be more prone to fade, but I'm just guessing now!
I would like to see some rationale from MGR on why this was done, if it wasn't just cost cutting.

David
:shrug:

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Rare New Genuine MG 2 Pot AP Red Brake Calipers

Posted 10 years 3 months ago #145077
Doing a little bit of digging unearths the facts that people who have bought these have found that the mounting holes don't line up and the offset is wrong for the 304mm disc. Suggests that maybe they were for another MG rather than ours. :-? :dry:

David
:shrug:

Replied by Bob on topic Rare New Genuine MG 2 Pot AP Red Brake Calipers

Posted 10 years 3 months ago #145082
The V spoke alloys come in 15" and 16" Badger making it one of the few alternatives to 11 spokes for AP brakes.So I assume the LE500's had 16" wheels.
Last Edit:10 years 3 months ago by Bob
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by Bob.

• PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 10 years 3 months ago #145084
Taken from mgf.ultimatemg.com

"2005 Model Year Update (Feb, 2005-April, 2005; VIN 637929-641764). The MY2005 version of the TF has brought with it a range of modest, yet useful updates .....
The suspension too was re-rated with the aim to answer criticisms of the earlier cars that incorporated softer springs, re-rated dampers, thicker anti-roll bars and re-specified bushes. The net result was a significant smoothing of the occasionally bumpy ride that some owners with 16" wheel options (particularly SP1 and SP2 option pack-equipped cars) complained of - without compromising the much-admired handling sharpness.
One curiosity of the MY2005 specification sheet was the down-grading of the AP-racing calipers from 4 pots of the Trophy 160/ TF160 to 2 pots. However, I have not yet come across a single MY2005 with the 2-pot AP caliper; perhaps this is due to MG Rover using up existing stocks of the AP-racing 4-pot calipers. "

Having looked further into this I have not been able to find anyone actually using these on any model of MG. :-?
Last Edit:10 years 3 months ago by PQD44
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by PQD44.

Replied by GT MG SPARES LTD on topic Rare New Genuine MG 2 Pot AP Red Brake Calipers

Posted 10 years 3 months ago #145085
These fit directly to a mgf or tf hub without modification i fitted a pair of brand new two pots on one of my mgfs pictured below about two years ago with 304mm discs.My verdict useless and quickly fitted the 4 pots back.
Last Edit:10 years 3 months ago by GT MG SPARES LTD
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by GT MG SPARES LTD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate, mogatrons, PQD44

Replied by GT MG SPARES LTD on topic Rare New Genuine MG 2 Pot AP Red Brake Calipers

Posted 10 years 3 months ago #145086
Incidentally, did the later NAC models use 2 or 4 pots? ...[/quote]

The image below shows the 2009 LE 500 with V spoke alloys, these are the same original wheels as fitted to my 2005 TF; but they are 15" rims so the 4 potters should not fit!
Maybe some LE's had smaller discs with the AP 2 potters "strange"

[/quote]

That is not a LE500 it is one of the 906 MGTFS built BY NAC including five hundred LE500 Models fifty 85th anniversary models etc.

• PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 10 years 3 months ago #145087

GT MG SPARES LTD wrote: These fit directly to a mgf or tf hub without modification i fitted a pair of brand new two pots on one of my mgfs pictured below about two years ago with 304mm discs.My verdict useless and quickly fitted the 4 pots back.

Attachment not found

:beer: Thanks GT, learn something new everyday :woo2:

:dry: EDIT: This was my 4000 post on the T-Bar which probably proves those correct who said I'm full of _ _ _ _ :bust:
Last Edit:10 years 3 months ago by PQD44
Last edit: 10 years 3 months ago by PQD44.

Time to create page: 1.497 seconds