engine cover removal (those 3 screws at the front)

Replied by Airportable on topic engine cover removal (those 3 screws at the front)

Posted 4 days 20 hours ago #208860
I keep looking at these & wonder why I haven’t treated myself to one. There again I’ve not found a situation where one would make the job so much easier.
I was given a tiny 1/4” ratchet & having thanked the donor profusely, I put it in with the rest of the 1/4” stuff until I found a use; I’ve all but worn the bloody thing out now, so much of an indispensable tool has it become.
M

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Cobber
  • Online Topic Author
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

Replied by Cobber on topic engine cover removal (those 3 screws at the front)

Posted 4 days 20 hours ago #208862
Why people waste time with bloody great 1/2" drive socket sets when doing most jobs on cars is beyond me, a 1/4" drive socket set is by far the most useful for automotive work, up to a bolt head size of 13 or 14mm and a 3/8" drive set for bolt heads up to around 19mm, bigger than that is when you drag out the 1/2 drive stuff till you get to large and/or stubborn stuff  where 3/4' drive or even 1" drive may well be required. that shit can be so heavy I feel tied just looking at it!

When you use heavier than required socket sets you're just making life difficult for yourself as the stuff is too bulky to use in the cramped confines your have to work in, and all that extra leverage means broken bolts, bleeding knuckles, stripped threads, frustration and a great many naughty words shouted out loud to further expand the vocabulary of the kiddies and grandma......so if nothing else their unnecessary use is at least educational! for the bystanders and spectators!

So for those of you who don't already have a 1/4" drive socket set........don't be a tight arsed bastard, go out and bloody well buy one!

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber

Replied by judiths handyman on topic engine cover removal (those 3 screws at the front)

Posted 4 days 13 hours ago #208871
My dear old dad God bless him used to buy me the best birthday and Christmas gifts.
Variously, a hammer drill when black and decker still built in co Durham, a stainless steel spade, still in use and most importantly of all for my 21st, a 1/4 and 3/8 drive imperial and metric draper socket set that resides in the boot of the minor, regularly brandished.
Thanks Dad.

Replied by Airportable on topic engine cover removal (those 3 screws at the front)

Posted 4 days 13 hours ago #208872
Agreed, my collection of 1/4” sockets is invariably the first out when a job is in the offing, I particularly like my deep sockets.
Several different extension bars & wobble bar, UJ adapter, also a 1/4 to 3/8 adapter if more grunt is wanted & the little ratchet referred to earlier. One end is 1/4” square the other end takes the 1/4”hex socket to take the screwdriver type bits.
Obviously this will take Allen & torx bits etc, very useful.
And I’ll thank my dad for laying the deep foundations I now have in all things mechanical. The electronics is of my own invention. 
M
Last Edit:4 days 13 hours ago by Airportable
Last edit: 4 days 13 hours ago by Airportable.

Replied by henrythompson on topic engine cover removal (those 3 screws at the front)

Posted 1 day 1 hour ago #208894
Hi,

If you're eyeing another tool that you think might come in handy, it’s likely you'll find plenty of uses for it once you have it. Treat yourself- you might end up wondering how you ever worked without it, just like with the 1/4” ratchet.

Thanks

Time to create page: 0.572 seconds