MG Quiz

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36274
I shall get a complex - some might request it is in Turkmenistan with no internet access :woohoo:

I'm off to lunch :bust:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

The topic has been locked.
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36276
Lunch at 4.30pm :blink:

You are a [strike]strange[/strike] interesting character. :yesnod:

Do your clues have dates linking them?
by PQD44
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36277
Dates :nonod: I 've got it :yesnod: I think :unsure:

What links them all, the common link in the pictures - Abingdon and celebrations to mark MG history

Why is this inappropriate to either FC7900 or the MGF

"Old Number One" (registration FC7900) was built in 1924 and 1925 before MG moved out of the Morris facilities in Cowley.

The MGF was developed and built by MG Rover long after the Abingdon plant closed.

Neither car were built at Abingdon.

The explanation of the clues

1+2

and the Old Speckled Hen beer

Morland brewers, produced this replica car.

In 1927, MG produced a one off prototype - a four seater saloon with a fabric body painted gold and curiously stippled with black. The car was kept as a run-around when the factory moved to Abingdon in 1929. The car's distinctive colouring led locals to name it 'Old Speckled Un'. Word of mouth changed this over time to 'Old Speckled Hen'.
In 1979 MG celebrated the Golden Jubilee of the Abingdon factory and to commemorate the event asked Morland to brew a special beer. In fond memory of the old factory car, Morland named the new ale 'Old Speckled Hen'.
Today MG enthusiasts still endorse the link with 'Old Speckled Hen' and every year over 100 MG cars gather at the old factory site to take part in the 'Old Speckled Hen' Tour around Oxfordshire.

Abingdon the place and again the car, the 'Old Speckled Un' MG saloon prototype was not made at Abingdon.

3+4

cake - eat - eight - 8
glove - hand - fingers - five - 5

The special edition MG TF 85th Anniversary - another car not made at Abingdon?

5+6

Originally I thought it was

Standard Life - RIP, Death. - Average life span of a man in the UK is 75 years, another special edition

Then I found this;

A kind guard unlocked the Standard Life office building and invited us inside to see two wall hangings that were commissioned by the insurance company to honour the MG company and its workers. Interestingly, neither wall hanging shows car models that were built at Abingdon. "Old Number One" was built in 1924 and 1925 before MG moved out of the Morris facilities in Cowley. A second wall hanging, displayed upstairs from this one, shows an MGF. The MGF model was developed and built by Rover long after MG offices and the Abingdon plant closed.

I'm sure it's not all correct but it's the best I can do :unsure:

I'm now worrying, does this mean I am starting to understand the working of your mind Ted? :silly: :bust:
Last Edit:12 years 8 months ago by PQD44
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by PQD44.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Forgetful

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36279
Hey - another Teddy in the making!! :woohoo: I'll give it to you although the actual answer I had prepared was

Old Speckled Hen took its name from an MG car which was used as a runaround for workers in the Abingdon MG factory. Over years of service, the car became covered in flecks of paint, gaining it acclaim in the town and earned it the nickname "Owld Speckled 'Un", translated into Old Speckled Hen for the brown ale first brewed by Morland in 1979 when the brewery in Abingdon was asked by MG to create a commemorative beer for the factory's 50th anniversary. In 2000 Greene King bought Moorland and transferred production to Bury St Edmunds.

Pavlova Leather was a tannery of glove leather that operated in Abingdon at least as far back as 1860. Pavlova Leather was purchased by Alfred Booth and Company of Liverpool in 1921, and came under reorganization that included sale of a large real estate parcel in 1929 to the MG car company. It was a copasetic agreement because MG became a significant customer for upholstery material. The Pavlova Leather tannery, operating from a facility just north of the MG factory, remained in operation until 1989.

After the MG plant closed, the entire property was sold to the Standard Life insurance company, which developed most of it into a large business park whilst the MG Car Club is situated at 12 Cemetery Road, and the MG Car Club office is actually next door to the original plant's administrative "top office" the gravestone thus denotes the graveyard for MG Abingdon and also Cemetery Road next to the old factory.

So we are at the Abingdon Factory, and it is inappropriate to FC7900 (Old Number One) and the MGF because neither were built there - the former was built 1924/5 prior to the move to Abingdon from the Morris facilities at Cowley and the MGF 1994/5 was built after Abingdon closed in 1980.

In many, many respects, Paul's answer was better than the question. :woohoo: :woohoo:

Over to you Paul - I assume you have your question ready as per the latest "dictact" :bust:

Lunch was good - boiled potatoes, some meat thing, asparagus and cauliflower - anyone want to join me next time :sick:

The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36284
This has been a very informative day in the MG Quiz, I'm learning all sorts.

I knew I hadn't figured out 3+4, but I doubt I will ever be able to see a Pavlova without think of you Ted. Now as I have never seen you I can paint a picture of a kindly handsome gentlemen and not spoil my enjoyment of the delicate cake.

A question - now - my brain is all but frazzled :blink:

I need to make the evening meal, then take Saul to football. So I can't post till later tonight.

Anyone who has a question in mind please feel free to post, yes, that includes you Ted.
by PQD44

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36286
Suits me - it's nearly time for tea (cucumber sandwich and a pot of coffee :sick: ) - nah, only joking.

I'll start work on another in case I manage to get one right in the future. kindly handsome gentlemen - youv'e never met me, obviously! :bust: but it is not my turn now. Sombody else OR

We can wait till later . Where is Lucky Marine by the way ?

Last Edit:12 years 8 months ago by Mr Forgetful
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Mr Forgetful.
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36307
Do you know the T-Bar members cars?

Here is your question.

The official T-Bar calendar 2012 produced by Pysmon features 12 cars chosen by him from the users photo section.

Simply name the owner of each car

Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
May
Jun
Jul
Aug
Sep
Oct
Nov
Dec

:thumbsup: Here is the link to the official T-Bar 2012 calendar

Sorry Psymon you're banned from this one :P Probably should ban David too, I reckon he was in cahoots with Psymon....... David you're banned too :P

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36308
Ted, :woohoo: :woohoo: Absolutely superb question and a precise answer (i was going to use the Pavlova leather in a future one also, that is if i get another right!!!!) I also thought Ray's question about Longbridge was excellent too, wasnt aware that the flight building was demolished in December, i know a lot about St Modwen Securities having worked with them on some major developments in the Staffordshire and Manchester area in the past. They probably had to get this building down before some bugger listed it of historical interest!! like the Firestone building that Taylor Woodrow destroyed three days before it was listed. it is pure greed :rant:

You have got Paul very worried, now that he is thinking like you. :whistle:

Look forward to the next one :bust:

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36311

PQD44 wrote: This has been a very informative day in the MG Quiz, I'm learning all sorts.

I knew I hadn't figured out 3+4, but I doubt I will ever be able to see a Pavlova without think of you Ted. Now as I have never seen you I can paint a picture of a kindly handsome gentlemen and not spoil my enjoyment of the delicate cake.

A question - now - my brain is all but frazzled :blink:

I need to make the evening meal, then take Saul to football. So I can't post till later tonight.

Anyone who has a question in mind please feel free to post, yes, that includes you Ted.

PAVLOVA is not a cake!!!! it is a meringue pudding with loads of whipped crean and fresh fruit, def not cake OR its an old leather company at Abingdon!!! :bust:

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36314
That is a very good question and not easy at all, i have found six straight off, but the others no idea :bust: :-? :bust:
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36319

bryan young wrote: PAVLOVA is not a cake!!!! it is a meringue pudding with loads of whipped crean and fresh fruit, def not cake OR its an old leather company at Abingdon!!! :bust:

Bryan, growing up, when mother said "Cake?" The answer was "Yes please".

If I'd have said "Please may I have portion of the meringue pudding with loads of whipped cream and fresh fruit which you referred to as cake" it would all be gone :nonod:

:rant: These F'ers, picky bunch

BTW The Collins English dictionary definition;

Pavlova: a meringue cake topped with whipped cream and fruit

:whistle: I'm waiting

:bust: I digress, here is a reminder of the latest question

PQD44 wrote: Do you know the T-Bar members cars?

Here is your question.

The official T-Bar calendar 2012 produced by Pysmon features 12 cars chosen by him from the users photo section.

Simply name the owner of each car

Jan
Feb
Mar
Apr
May
Jun
Jul
Aug
Sep
Oct
Nov
Dec

:thumbsup: Here is the link to the official T-Bar 2012 calendar

Sorry Psymon you're banned from this one :P Probably should ban David too, I reckon he was in cahoots with Psymon....... David you're banned too :P

The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Tsleight

Replied by Tsleight on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #36320
Now i'm hungry. Damn quiz...

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Time to create page: 0.650 seconds