MG Quiz

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #39283
See my amendment ??

6 Cylinder in-line 4 = 6 X 4 = 24 :woohoo:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

Last Edit:12 years 8 months ago by Mr Forgetful
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by Mr Forgetful.
The topic has been locked.

Replied by rog1963 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #39284
but not the answer I'm looking for. Last night I posted I wanted the story,. Then today, in a state of sobriety, I was more specific and asked for a car (clue one) and an event (clue 2) the two are linked
Last Edit:12 years 8 months ago by rog1963
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by rog1963.

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #39285

rog1963 wrote:

bryan young wrote:

rog1963 wrote: In darts 24 leaves a finish of what double ..... which will lead you to an event that ties in with the Tigress

Double 2 :bang: still none the wiser :bust:

Double 2 makes 4 Bryan, not 24, I must play you at darts sometime .... for money :P :lol:

I am not a darts player :bust: having said that my team of non-darts players managed to will four rounds of games at our club annual championship last November so were the overall winners. what was quite ironic, all matches needed to finish on a Double 1, which four non-players (including me) managed to get.

Still got no idea how Double Twelve relates to a 1933 MG 18/100 Tigress :slapme: :slapme:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rog1963

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #39286
I am not a darts player having said that my team of non-darts players managed to will four rounds of games at our club annual championship last November so were the overall winners. what was quite ironic, all matches needed to finish on a Double 1, which four non-players (including me) managed to g

Wow - Will Power :woohoo:

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #39288
Ill give it 5 more minutes then give the explanation of double twelve :evil: and Mr Forgetful can set the next question.
by rog1963

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #39289
Did the Maharaja of Gunga Dhinn use his MG Tigress to shoot the last Tiger in Bengal (a Bengal Tiger) hence the fact only 5 Tigress were made - an early attempt by the World Wild Life Trust to flex it’s muscles? :-?

• PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #39290
Cecil Kimber was quick to recognise that he needed a Le Mans type sports car if he was to establish the MG marque and appeal to the sporty types of the time. Kimber favoured a more up market approach with a competition version of the 18/80 – the Tigress. Although it looked the part, it was too heavy making its one and only competitive appearance in the 1930 Double Twelve where it failed to finish.

Last Edit:12 years 8 months ago by PQD44
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by PQD44.

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #39291

rog1963 wrote: Ill give it 5 more minutes then give the explanation of double twelve :evil: and Mr Forgetful can set the next question.

in 1930 MG built five 8/45 Double 12 MG Midgets to race at Brooklands and won the team prize.
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #39292
Behind you, behind you Bryan :lol:

:P

Surprised that the MG enthusiast didn't get the Double 12 at Brooklands, England's answer to the 24 hour Le Mans
Last Edit:12 years 8 months ago by PQD44
Last edit: 12 years 8 months ago by PQD44.

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #39293
and WHERE'S the 101 come in to it :-?

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #39294
OK here goes:
I was looking for a car from clue one. The picture gave you the tigress.
I was then looking for an event from clue 2 which should have given you DOUBLE TWELVE.

The story linking them both and I quote this from a small 'SHIRE ALBUM No 152' book entitled 'The MG'

Early in 1930 Kimber designed MGs first racing car, the 18/100 Mark III or Tigress, whcih made it's debut in a two day, twenty four hour Brooklands motor race called the DOUBLE TWELVE. The impressive looking Mark III lacked stamina, however, nad wrecked it's engine within two hours, whereas five works prepared M types lasted the full distance to take the team prize.
It might be said that this, more than anything else, decided the future of MG car company. Although 25 Mark III models were to have been built, only five were completed, and the handsome but expensive bigger MGs were completely eclipsed by the fast little sports cars with which Abingdon was to make its name.

Over to you Paul
by rog1963
The following user(s) said Thank You: PQD44
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer

Posted 12 years 8 months ago #39295
I think Mr Forgetful should set the next question, I only answered because you said you were going to give the answer.

A little on the Brooklands Double Twelve

Six hour races had already been organised on the Brooklands circuit, but this was on a different scale both in terms of distance and organisation. However, the local well heeled residents were not in favour of the sound of cars racing around the Brooklands track at night. Nor were they too keen on the associated noise and general hubbub of attractions to keep spectators interested for 24 hours.

So the concept of two races was born - two twelve hour races back to back the Double-Twelve. To say the Double-Twelve would rival the Le Mans 24 hour is perhaps a little ambitious. The race was not as arduous as the Le Mans event, in that it was 2 races of 12 hours duration, over 2 consecutive days, rather than a continuous race, with the cars impounded in parc ferme overnight. But to race for two twelve hour stints and finish on Brooklands notoriously bumpy track was a great achievement.

The first Double Twelve took place in 1929, „sponsored‟ by the Daily Telegraph who provided the prize money of £1,000 and a gold cup. That first race was won by the works Alfa Romeo 6C1500 of Ramponi.

For more information see here

This does however give me a chance to post that wonderful photo of the Tigress which Bryan introduced me to a few weeks ago. What a magnificent machine

by PQD44
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, rog1963, Mr Forgetful
Time to create page: 0.680 seconds