It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

The topic has been locked.
  • bacchus
  • Qualified MGer
  • Qualified MGer
  • Food, Photography & Little British Sports Cars

Replied by bacchus on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39471
unfortunately you bogeyed that one sir ;)
by bacchus

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39485
Craig, that is a superb question and i know the correct answer :yesnod: but it is only fair that i let someone else have a go.

Superb example of the "Y" type too, was that photo taken in Oz as the car is still registered with the DVLA here.

Replied by MartinW on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39498
I need to get two more wins this week again, so I will say it is Jack Daniels, designer of the MG Y Type.

Since our man down under is probably already in bed, I'll leave it to the Mods to decide if that's right and will set a question before I go out this evening to see my daughter in her school play.
Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by MartinW
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by MartinW.
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39499

bacchus wrote: Alright, this one is a bit left of centre but try to stick with me. What is the link between these two images;

The clue was in you second photo

I reckon the link is a Trevor Taylor exhaust - This is the loudest MG Y Type Ever to hit the road :bust:

BTW Bryan the photo was taken at the Inland Waterways Association National Rally, Beale Park near Reading, August 27th 2006
Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by PQD44
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by PQD44.
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39500

MartinW wrote: I need to get two more wins this week again, so I will say it is Jack Daniels, designer of the MG Y Type.

Since our man down under is probably already in bed, I'll leave it to the Mods to decide if that's right and will set a question before I go out this evening to see my daughter in her school play.

MartinW I think to say Jack Daniels designed the Y Type is rather over stating his input. He is however credited with the design of a specific part of the car, a first for MG.

Could you be more specific. Sorry to be picky, but Bryan would never forgive me if I wasn't thorough in his absence :bust:
Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by PQD44
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by PQD44.

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39503
Without going and reading it up, I think he was the first indentured apprentice at MG and went onto a role in the drawing office creating blueprints. The Y Type was designed before the war and in fact JD worked with Gerald Palmer (who left in 1942) on the first independent front suspension for an MG which was a major technological advancement at the time, although the Y Type did not go on sale until after the war. GP was really the main designer of the Y Type and came back to do the ZA in the early 1950s.

Hope that is detailed enough.
by MartinW

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39504
Martin, you are correct. :yesnod: Paul has kindly supplied me with this explanation.

Paul PQD wrote:

The prototype “Y” Type was constructed in 1939 with an intended launch at the Earls Court Motor show, the following year. However, as a result of the hostilities the public had to wait a further eight years before production commenced. All prototypes originating from the MG Factory at Abingdon were allocated numbers prefixed by the letters EX; this practice continued until the mid-fifties. Although the prototype of the MG “Y” Type was primarily a Morris concept from Cowley, much of the ‘fleshing out’ was completed at Abingdon. As a result it was allocated the prototype number EX.166. The design team included the brilliant Alec Issigonis and practical MG engineer, Jack Daniels who created the first Nuffield independent front suspension (ifs). Independent front suspension was very much the latest technology at the time and the “Y” Type became the first Nuffield product and one of the first British production cars with this feature.

Over to you!

David
:shrug:

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39505

MartinW wrote: Without going and reading it up, I think he was the first indentured apprentice at MG and went onto a role in the drawing office creating blueprints. The Y Type was designed before the war and in fact JD worked with Gerald Palmer (who left in 1942) on the first independent front suspension for an MG which was a major technological advancement at the time, although the Y Type did not go on sale until after the war. GP was really the main designer of the Y Type and came back to do the ZA in the early 1950s.

Hope that is detailed enough.

Almost there, almost there, i will let Paul decide as i am off to a MG Club committee meeting tonight, som of the facts are not quite correct, but it depends on how "precice" we should be. :slapme:

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39506
Strangely, having just read an article recently on JD, I could have sworn it was GP he worked with on the IFS, and Wiki says the same, no mention of Issigonis.

Anyway...apart from the obvious link with the K Series engines, name another model made by Lotus that used MG TF engines. Be warned, the question is not that simple. By TF I don't mean TF as we think of them...
by MartinW

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 7 months ago #39507
Woulkd you accept the Mark V111 - 1954

In 1954, Chapman with Frank Costin, (an aeronautical aerodynamics engineer with De Havilland Aircraft Company) built the Mk 8 used a modified MG 1467cc engine and transmission.

I suppose you could argue that the Mark V1 was a precursor as it had mounting points for the MGTF engine (amongst others) but this was LARGELY a kit car - not a MAIN Lotus production car.

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

Last Edit:12 years 7 months ago by Mr Forgetful
Last edit: 12 years 7 months ago by Mr Forgetful.
Time to create page: 0.683 seconds