MG Quiz

Replied by bryan young on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #43713
Your Cecil Kimber bit is correct sir, but the MGOC and Speckled hen is slightly out.

The MG Owners club was started by Roche Bentley in together with his brother Martin Bentley. Roche is Secretary and not the magazine editor, that is Richard Ladds.

The Speckled Hen beer was brewed by the Moorland brewery to celebrate the 50 years of MG cars. it was named after the factory runabout car which was so paint splattered they called it "the old speckled un" And it is a lovely beer. :hugs:

Just take this from Wikipedia : more precise

Old Speckled Hen took its name from an MG car which was used as a runaround for workers in the MG factory. Over years of service, the car became covered in flecks of paint, gaining it acclaim in the town and earned it the nickname "Owld Speckled 'Un", translated into Old Speckled Hen for the brown ale first brewed by Morland in 1979 when the brewery was asked by MG to create a commemorative beer for the factory's 50th anniversary.[2][3] Daniel O'Leary, a cooper and former brewer, developed the recipe for the beer. Ian Williams was a personnel officer at the MG factory in Abingdon in 1979 and it was he who thought of using the name for the new ale.
After the MG factory moved in 1980, production declined and Old Speckled Hen was almost exclusively available in pubs operated by Morland due to financial constraints and a different direction being taken by the brewery- mistakenly believing its future lay in the production of lager. Within a few years, Morland began to re-explore the avenue of ale production, reviving Old Speckled Hen and launching the draught version in 1990 with considerable success, with Old Speckled Hen proving to be a beer that Morland could market outside their own estate.[4][5]
In January 1993, Old Speckled Hen was featured as Michael Jackson's "Beer of the Month" in his regular column for The Independent.[6] The relaunch was thought to be behind an 8.9% interim profits rise for Morland in June 1997.[7]
Greene King announced in December 2003 that, in the light of what it called "foaming" sales of Old Speckled Hen in particular, it was expanding its brewing capacity, having previously been operating at 96% capacity.[8]
Fiona Hope, marketing director for Greene King speculated in April 2009 that Old Speckled Hen could follow GK's IPA and be made available in the so-called "dual pour font" whereby the tap version is available in two different styles, though this is, as yet, unconfirmed.[9]
Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by bryan young
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by bryan young.
The topic has been locked.

Replied by Gadget2466 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #43715
I knew It was about a car Old Speckled Un, That was an answer from the old grey matter rather than from the 'net. The Cecil Kimber answer was courtesy of Wikipedia.......... another Eric Morecambe answer then, All the right answers ...just not necessarily in the right order

[img]i54.tinypic.com/2hdto4p.jpg[/img]

Turned to the Darkside, K&N Apollo and extra bling fitted.52mm TB

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #43716
Here's a quickie for you all.

What is the proposed MG Model name of this concept and where was it designed.
I wish they actually made cars like this. The MG Zero is superb, but I bet it doesn't turn out like the pictures :( :-? :nonod: :rant:

Attachments:
  • PQD44
  • Offline Topic Author
  • Master MGer
  • Master MGer
  • It's only the first 100 years that are difficult

Replied by PQD44 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #43717

bryan young wrote: ..... and Speckled hen is slightly out.

.... it was named after the factory runabout car which was so paint splattered they called it "the old speckled un"

....Over years of service, the car became covered in flecks of paint, gaining it acclaim in the town and earned it the nickname "Owld Speckled 'Un", translated into Old Speckled Hen for the brown ale first brewed by Morland in 1979

:slapme: Sorry to go back to this one but I think this explanation is not correct. I did a lot of research into this and it has become one of those common misconceptions which just gets repeated so many times people believe it to be true. The car did not become splattered with paint because it was parked near the paint shop window or any other sort of odd explanation. It looked like that because it was originally produced with this very distinctive paint finish.

In 1927, MG produced a one off prototype - a four seater saloon with a fabric body painted gold and curiously stippled with black. The car was kept as a run-around when the factory moved to Abingdon in 1929. The car's distinctive colouring led locals to name it 'Old Speckled Un'. Word of mouth changed this over time to 'Old Speckled Hen'.

PQD44 wrote:
Period photo of the original - 'Old Speckled Un'

Morland brewers, produced this replica car.

In 1927, MG produced a one off prototype - a four seater saloon with a fabric body painted gold and curiously stippled with black. The car was kept as a run-around when the factory moved to Abingdon in 1929. The car's distinctive colouring led locals to name it 'Old Speckled Un'. Word of mouth changed this over time to 'Old Speckled Hen'.
In 1979 MG celebrated the Golden Jubilee of the Abingdon factory and to commemorate the event asked Morland to brew a special beer. In fond memory of the old factory car, Morland named the new ale 'Old Speckled Hen'.
Today MG enthusiasts still endorse the link with 'Old Speckled Hen' and every year over 100 MG cars gather at the old factory site to take part in the 'Old Speckled Hen' Tour around Oxfordshire.

:yesnod:
Which does mean ....

bryan young wrote: This regular has been paying attention and we have had these before, ....

..unfortunately :rant: it would appear you've not been paying attention Bryan, shame on you :bust:

For the question that prompted this research and the very interesting answers regarding this car and the Abingdon factory please refer to this MG Quiz question from a couple of months ago

I hope that clears things up a bit

OK now focus people and get back to the current question set by Gary Go Go Gadget2466 :lol:
Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by PQD44
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by PQD44.

Replied by Tsleight on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #43723
It is the MG Midget concept car designed by student Yin LU as his final project in 2011 at Coventry University. And yes, looks amazing in pictures!

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #43746

Tsleight wrote: It is the MG Midget concept car designed by student Yin LU as his final project in 2011 at Coventry University. And yes, looks amazing in pictures!

Nice one Tsleight...Bloomin Gorgeous isn't it... :omg: :broon: :broon: :broon: :broon:

Replied by Tsleight on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #43813
Apologies!

Lets have some MG Y Type related questions:

1. What models had overriders fitted?
2. What was the Y Saloon body based on?
3. What were the sidelamps known as?
4. What was fitted to all export cars?
5. How many YT's were produced?

Replied by Mr Forgetful on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #43825
Well TSLeight I will try to start the ball rolling

The prototype “Y” Type was constructed in 1939 with an intended launch at the Earls Court Motor show, the following year. However, as a result of the hostilities the public had to wait a further eight years before production commenced

Gerald Palmer was responsible for body styling and, in essence he took a Morris Eight Series E four-door bodyshell in pressed steel, added a swept tail and rear wings, and also a front-end MG identity in the shape of their well-known upright grille.

1. What models had overriders fitted? YB and Tourer
2. What was the Y Saloon body based on? Morris 8 E series
3. What were the sidelamps known as? Torpedo side lights
4. What was fitted to all export cars? Can’t find this yet :rant:
5. How many YT's were produced? 877 – Wiki BUT 884 according to History of MG 1¼ Y series by David Pelham and David Lawrence

So more work needed but something for another visitor to hang their hat on :yesnod:

I may be old but I’m not senile:-
It’s just that I can’t remember whether it’s Alzheimer’s or Amnesia

The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young, Tsleight

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #43827

Tsleight wrote: Apologies!

Lets have some MG Y Type related questions:

1. What models had overriders fitted?
2. What was the Y Saloon body based on?
3. What were the sidelamps known as?
4. What was fitted to all export cars?
5. How many YT's were produced?[/quote

Paul, do you get a WIN logged for each question in the weekly summary :P :P :P :P

I struggle to get one question Tsleight and you can come up with 5!!
:-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :-? :broon:

Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by Gadget2466
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Gadget2466.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bryan young

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #43828
TSLeight was my missing answer (Q4)-

Two extra switches controling an additional fog / spot lamp on the front of the car, and the other the blower for the heater :-?
OR
Kilometers per hour speedometer :nonod:

Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by Mr Forgetful
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Mr Forgetful.

Replied by rog1963 on topic Re: MG Quiz

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #43830
Am I correct in thinking the YT was only available 'for export only'.
YTs were open topped. Therefore, is the answer to Q4 cabriolet roofs? :-?
Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by rog1963
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by rog1963.

Posted 12 years 6 months ago #43833

rog1963 wrote: Am I correct in thinking the YT was only available 'for export only'.
YTs were open topped. Therefore, is the answer to Q4 cabriolet roofs? :-?

Rog - IF that is the answer then possibly the correct answer to the question is

The tourer had the twin-carburettor engine of the TC, so performance was slightly improved, particularly since the car was quite alot lighter than the YA

BUT IF you are right, what about - In 1948 several (currently believed to be 9) “Y” Types (consisting of chassis, engines and some body parts) were imported into Switzerland and given cabriolet bodywork :bang:

I give up as I have so many "tabs" open i'm even more confused that usual :bang:

Last Edit:12 years 6 months ago by Mr Forgetful
Last edit: 12 years 6 months ago by Mr Forgetful.
Time to create page: 1.111 seconds