Sign In   Register

Topic

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 2 months 1 day ago #206115

Thank you. Ultimately there will be blue LEDs behind the emblem & as the emblem stand proud of the backing plane there will be a blue glow around the MG logo.
The entire project will have cost less than £10 for both left & right footwell, all in, LEDs included & as the emblems are supplied in sets of four I’ve a couple spare.
M

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 3 weeks 3 days ago #206640

Catching up on the carpet plates I made several weeks ago & intimated that I would illuminate the assembly.
Here’s a picture of the results.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: ohnonottwins, mnripley, RookyMGF

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 3 weeks 3 days ago #206641

I’ve been at the brake job for a while & these are the pictures of first lash up. I have to say it was more drawn out than i expected but that’s because I’m buggering about with brakes, there has been a lot of measuring & testing before the initial bolt up.
All the clearances are within tolerances so I’ll bolt up the near side & plumb through the hydraulics, it’s then a matter of taking it up the road!
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Cobber.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 week 4 days ago #206754

Machined a spacer so the Miltek damper is now centered instead of 15 mil ofset .
Attachments:

Last edit: Post by Devinci.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 1 week 4 days ago #206758

That’s a nice piece of work.
M

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 4 days 3 hours ago #206842

So most of last week was spent with the front end of the car up on stands with me eventually changing out both lower ball joint pivots. A pretty straightforward job in theory but one complicated (as usual) by various parts of the car deciding they are no longer made of steel but are chocolate instead. Cue extra drilling out of a number of screws and coaxing of nuts utilising various percussive technology.

I decided to drill out the rivets and replaced them with a kit that included nuts and bolts for the new ball joint, figuring that this would be easier than swapping the wishbones completely. I suspect that given the subframe mounts actually don't look too bad on mine, the latter option may have been the easier in the long run.

Anyway, another job completed and one that is of a scale that I haven't tackled in a long time on any of my vehicles. Part of my rationale for getting the TF was that I wanted to rebuild my confidence in doing stuff to cars and the MG is fairly simple tech in that regard. Ultimately, the biggest issue is the random metamorphosis of steel in to other squidgy materials that seems so common on 20 year-old stuff.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 4 days 58 minutes ago #206846

Well, I picked up my sons ZR from the MGOC Garage who finally diagnosed the fault - frayed wiring in the harness under the chassis was preventing MEMS firing commands to fuel pump. Several hours of garage time to find, 30mins to fix and a huge labour bill. But its back on the road. I doubt any other local garage would have found the fault.

So, I dropped my new TF off for a service and general inspection at the MGOC, took a look around the club shop and then came home. Pickup on the 21st, hoping I didn't buy a lemon...

Last edit: Post by paulvanderwalt.

Wocha bin doin on your MG this week then? 3 days 22 hours ago #206848

The transfiguration of a metal into another chemical conglomerate after it has been introduced to a motor car, especially but not exclusively British, is interesting.
An aluminium alloy whose surface could me easily marked by poking it with a thumb nail turns into a titanium hard substance when you approach it with a drill.
Likewise an 8.8 tensile bolt would neck & fail at the transition from thread to uncut portion long before the proscribed torque setting.
The problem then arises “how the ********+****+++** do I get the remains out.
I do like your use of the word percussive in context, I’ve never been short of big hammers, punches or drifts, however I’ve never before had to dress the raggy arsed ends as often as I have since I acquired MGs.
My wife & I have always been great fell walkers but as we’ve aged we have become fair weather walkers, the shortfall in exercise has been made up by knocking seven bells out of metalwork associated with vehicles.
M

Time to create page: 0.283 seconds
© 2024 The-T-Bar.com All Rights Reserved. Hosted By SEBS IT