Removing Door Handle

Removing Door Handle was created by Viper

Posted 3 weeks 1 day ago #207062
Hello,

Trying to remove the drivers door handle but can't work out how to detach the rod from the lock barrel.

Do I need long pliars and bend the top part to get it out?

Thanks in advance
Last Edit:3 weeks 1 day ago by Viper
Last edit: 3 weeks 1 day ago by Cobber.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Cobber
  • Cobber's Avatar Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

Replied by Cobber on topic Removing Door Handle

Posted 3 weeks 1 day ago #207063
No don't do that!
it's been a long while since I've done it, and I don't recall how I did it, other than it was awkward.
if you bend it you'll never get it right again, you'll find it very hard to bend anyway, which is why you'll never get it right.
As with all cars unless there is a clip the rods will have to be manipulated to be undone without bending.
you have to remember that these things are deigned not to be able to fall apart easily but to be easy to assemble on the production line using the right technique.
it will be a matter of undoing components in the right order and manipulating them, so as to undo them. it will be a matter of getting them in the right position to unhook the rod from the component.
I suggest consulting the workshop manual, which is downloadable from this site somewhere. (I'm a bit old fashioned and use he paper version) alas the factory manual was poorly written, so can read a bit like gobblygook but unless someone here remembers how to do it the manual will be your best bet.

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last Edit:3 weeks 1 day ago by Cobber
Last edit: 3 weeks 1 day ago by Cobber.

Replied by Airportable on topic Removing Door Handle

Posted 3 weeks 1 day ago #207064
To be honest you need super strength finger ends with eyeballs in every other digit. This will allow you to inspect the bastard thing from all angles.
Failing that perseverance, you could still do with super strength finger ends though.
M

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Removing Door Handle

Posted 3 weeks 20 hours ago #207065
There's a clip on the other end of the rod. Undo that and you can wiggle the rod out of there.

David
:shrug:

Replied by Viper on topic Removing Door Handle

Posted 3 weeks 20 hours ago #207066
Thanks David,

Do you have any tips on getting the wire clip off from around the lock barrel.

Regards,
Rob
by Viper

Posted 3 weeks 5 hours ago #207079
Actually there is no clip on the bottom of mine it just hooks in the same as the top
Last Edit:3 weeks 3 hours ago by Viper
Last edit: 3 weeks 3 hours ago by Cobber.

Posted 3 weeks 3 hours ago #207080
I got it out by pressing the wire U shape Metal Spring Clip on the left hand side and the lock just popped out.
Last Edit:3 weeks 2 hours ago by Viper
Last edit: 3 weeks 2 hours ago by Viper.

Posted 2 weeks 6 days ago #207094
Hi,

Does anyone know how the gold metal plate is suppose to stay connected to the the handle on the left hand side. I found the spring in the door well but it does't really seem to fit in anywhere.

If not I'll open up the passeng trim and see how it is suppose towork.

Thanks,
Rob
Last Edit:2 weeks 6 days ago by Viper
Last edit: 2 weeks 6 days ago by Cobber.

Replied by Airportable on topic Removing Door Handle

Posted 2 weeks 5 days ago #207097
That spring looks to me to be the bias spring off the gold leaver. My guess is that at some point the pozidrive screw has been removed & the spring has made a dash for freedom, only to end up hiding in the door bottom detritus.
If you look carefully around there you will in all probability find witnesses marks; these should guide you to it’s reinstallation.
I’m away so can’t inspect a sample but I don’t think I’m far away with that.
M

Posted 2 weeks 5 days ago #207099
The screw has shared off from the handlem so Icouldn't open the door from the out side and that spring doesn't seem to fit the equation. I'll open up the passenger side which I fixed on my previous car and see how it is suppose to work.

Thanks
by Viper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Replied by Notanumber on topic Removing Door Handle

Posted 2 weeks 4 days ago #207101
Has the screw you mentioned sheered off the surround or from the moveable part of the handle ? I've got a damaged surround somewhere here with an intact handle if it's of use

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Posted 2 weeks 4 days ago #207102
Hi again,

Ok,

I'm almost there. Issue now is the spring (in the miidle of the picture attached) doesn't seem to fit in.

I'm assuming it is suppose to fit in the hole in the rod to the left but the angles aren't quite right for that.

I have looked at photos of new handles and the spring looks correct as in not damaged.

Thought I would post first before bending it with pliars to fit or take off the trim on the passenger side to see how it should be.

I guess there is a chance it got bent when the damage to the handle was done but I don't really like that theory.

Any help appreciated.

Regards,
Rob
Last Edit:2 weeks 4 days ago by Viper
Last edit: 2 weeks 4 days ago by Cobber.

Time to create page: 0.494 seconds