Removing Door Handle

Replied by Viper on topic Removing Door Handle

Posted 2 weeks 4 days ago #207103
Hi again,

Pictured is a new one out of the UK and the spring looks identicle to mine.

I'm assuming the piece on the right of the spring going up, goes into the hole in the rod on the left and the hook part of the spring goes over the long gold plate (not pictured on the new one but in my one).

I must be missing something because the angle is a good 25 degress out.

Regards,
Rob
Last Edit:2 weeks 4 days ago by Viper
Last edit: 2 weeks 4 days ago by Viper.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Cobber on topic Removing Door Handle

Posted 2 weeks 4 days ago #207104
Don't be in any hurry to bend that spring, you should be absolutely sure of where it goes before messing with it....once you bend it you'll never get it back to the way it is now and you would need to know exactly where it goes in order to know how much and exactly where it might need to be bent.
An important thing to remember about springs is that they bounce back into shape so it's unlikely to need bending unless it's been stretched out of shape, and that doesn't look it, as it has no signs of distortion. Even then if it is out of shape, it would be best to replace it as bending will most likely lead to poor opperation.

I suspect you haven't found the right angle of the dangle, so to speak, you probably need to try some other alignments until it makes sense.
I'll have a look through my spares today and see if I can find a door handle to see how it goes for you......until then leave the bloody spring alone!

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber

Posted 2 weeks 4 days ago #207105
Thanks for the offer. Where are you located? I am in Sydney Australia.

Regards,
Rob
by Viper

Posted 2 weeks 4 days ago #207106
I just had a look in the shed, and the door handles are not where I thought they were, the damned things will be in there somewhere but I dunno where as I've recently moved and there is a shitload of stuff filling a quite large shed......so if I was you, I wouldn't be holding my breath whilst waiting for me to find them!... if ever, I'm sure there are lost Japanese Soldiers from WW2 that don't know the war is over still hiding in there....my shed is not unlike an impenetrable jungle!
I'm sure they will turn up eventually, but I guarantee it will be when I'm not looking for them.

I'm in Melbourne......don't be jealous! :bust:

by Cobber

Posted 2 weeks 4 days ago #207107
Thanks for trying.

I'll open up the passenger side and take a look at how it holds together. I fixed the passenger handle on my previous one but diffrent problem, I had to build a bracket using plastic weld, but it was a while ago.

I broke my wrist playing footy so should be fun doing it one handed.

I lived in Melbourne for tens years, about nine years too long.
by Viper

Posted 2 weeks 4 days ago #207108
That's pretty well what I said about Sydney.. I got sent there for work a few times adding up to about 2 yrs and that was 9 yrs too long! :bust:
Mind you Brisbane and the Goldie are even worse!

As for your wrist, well of course I hope that you're.on the mend, but.I take it by football you are referring to what seems to pass for footy up there... thugby and not the glorious game preferred down here....Aussie Rules! :coat:

Last Edit:2 weeks 4 days ago by Cobber
Last edit: 2 weeks 4 days ago by Cobber.

Replied by Airportable on topic Removing Door Handle

Posted 2 weeks 3 days ago #207110
Don’t start bending things to fit you ideas of what should be, that spring was designed specifically to do a job by someone who knew more about the system than you.
The picture where you have the spring trussed up to the left of the screw is incorrect, I would be removing the screw & placing the spring over the moulded turret, peg facing down & the hook coming around the gold leaver you hook over it to bias the leaver upwards.
If I weren’t several hundred miles from home I would photograph a handle to illustrate my comments, which I will if still required on my return, however I guess you’ll have resolved the situation one way or another.
Go on eBay & rummage through the handle add’s & find one which illustrates the reverse side & take inspiration from that.
M

Time to create page: 0.581 seconds