Oil temp gauge

Oil temp gauge was created by judiths handyman

Posted 2 weeks 2 days ago #207142
This is the first car I have owned with an oil temp gauge.
I have read some posts on MGF gauges being inaccurate and fitting in line resistors to compensate, but as mine is a 2005 TF I wondered if the same inaccuracies apply?
At a steady 70mph, (3000) rpm, the coolant temp gauge reads nicely just below the centre of the dial.
The oil temp gauge at that speed reads 120c.
Any thoughts and comments warmly welcomed.
Thanks.
Richard.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Cobber
  • Cobber's Avatar Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

Replied by Cobber on topic Oil temp gauge

Posted 2 weeks 2 days ago #207146
I wouldn't worry too much about the oil temp gauge, it's about as handy as tits on a bull!
They should've fitted an oil pressure gauge instead of cheaping out with a temp gauge.

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber
The following user(s) said Thank You: judiths handyman

Replied by Airportable on topic Oil temp gauge

Posted 2 weeks 2 days ago #207151
As usual Cobb’s is spot on & I’d advise dispensing with the oil temperature gauge & clock, fitting an oil pressure gauge & matching temperature.
A standard 2” gauge (52mm) goes straight in, assuming you have a degree of athleticism in your finger ends.
You also need an adapter to take an extra sensor, a doubler.
The OEM temp sensor comes out & goes binwards, to be replaced with the doubler, then the one supplied with the gauge goes into one hole & the sensor for the pressure gauge fits into the other.
The biggest problem is getting under the car to access the unions which are adjacent to the oil filter.
A couple of digital gauges & a double adapter shouldn’t cost more than fifty quid & then you’ll know what the script is & it could save you a dickens of a lot more than that in repair bills.
M

Replied by neilpinleeds on topic Oil temp gauge

Posted 2 weeks 2 days ago #207157
My gauge sits happily all day at 120 at motorway speeds (2004 TF). In my experience though it is a myth that it doesn't actually 'work'. I did a track day last year and when I was really wellying the car the gauge rose up to 180 and above, before dropping back to 120 on the mandatory cool down laps, so it did come to life when I really needed it.......
The following user(s) said Thank You: judiths handyman

Posted 2 weeks 2 days ago #207158
I fully accept your comments about it “coming alive when you really need it”, however I like to know when I don’t really need it. The other perimeter that I would consider of importance on a track day would be oil pressure & again I accept that the tracking of temperature reflects the health of the pressure, however it can be horrific watching the pressure nosedive after a strenuous run & it would take a while for the standard gauge to keep up with that.
M

Replied by neilpinleeds on topic Oil temp gauge

Posted 2 weeks 2 days ago #207160
Yes, it would be really good to have an oil pressure gauge for sure. The warning light will hopefully catch a sudden STOP NOW incident, but it would be nice to know the running pressure when the engine is getting a proper workout.

Rover probably went for temperature because it was cheaper with less wiring/plumbing.

Replied by judiths handyman on topic Oil temp gauge

Posted 2 weeks 2 days ago #207162
Well, thanks to all repliers.
I have a better understanding of oil and temperature ratings now.
I have fitted an oil pressure gauge to my Morris Minor, just to keep an eye on the engine condition and on long runs it can indicate when viscosity changes through heat I should pull over for a cooling session.
Having covered over a hundred miles none stop yesterday, mostly motorway speeds and noting the max temp to be 120c I feel confident the engine is doing all the right things for the moment.
I do check oil and coolant water regularly, so I am hopeful of a lot of trouble free miles.
My only regret is I didn't buy a TF earlier.
Even the missus approves.
Thanks again for all the input.

Replied by bryan young on topic Oil temp gauge

Posted 2 weeks 1 day ago #207170
I agree with 'Cobber's' comment about the oil temperature gauge , it's a waste of space!! I have a 96 F and it struggles to reach 90 when the oil is really hot, MG just put it in to fill a hole.

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Oil temp gauge

Posted 2 weeks 1 day ago #207175
The truth is that MGR wanted an oil pressure gauge but an oil temp gauge was cheaper.
The gauge does react to oil temperature, it just doesn't necessarily give an accurate reading. Some years cars, the gauge was miles away from true.

Fitting resistors into the line can bring the readings near to actual, but as long as you know what your particular gauge reads under normal conditions, then any rise from that should give you pause.

Being somewhat anal, I spent a fair bit of time with an InfraRed gun and a selection of resistors to get my gauge to read near actual temps.
I also swapped out the original gauge and clock for a matching set of pressure and temp gauges. I had to reuse the original oil temp sender and the new temp gauge read the same as the old, so that confirms it is the sender which is wayward.

David
:shrug:

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Oil temp gauge

Posted 2 weeks 1 day ago #207176
Here's my original post, Oil temp overreading

David
:shrug:

Replied by judiths handyman on topic Oil temp gauge

Posted 2 weeks 1 day ago #207177
Thanks David.
I am not too concerned now I have all the information at hand. I understand the benefits of an oil pressure gauge, but I am of the "If it ain't broke don't fix it" brigade. The car is low mileage (purportedly now 14,000) with a good service history, the usual suspects, head gasket, water pump, cam belt have been replaced and additionally I had the stainless pipes underfloor fitted, so reliability is hopefully a near given. Confidence comes with mileage.

Posted 2 weeks 23 hours ago #207178
Neil’s STOP NOW incident is fortunately a rare occurrence, however it’s the sort of sods law thing that might happen in slow moving traffic after a good run.
You’ve an HGV a couple of foot from your rear & a SUV trying to push in in front.
Concentration levels are high & you fail to notice the oil can & then you become the problem instead of being part of the effect of another’s problem.
A small beeper wired across the oil light would warn in these conditions & remind you to bring the revs up instead of just letting them idle, which is when the pressure is at its lowest with a hot engine.
Just a thought.
M

Time to create page: 0.500 seconds