Vibrating Instrument binnacle cure

Replied by Notanumber on topic Vibrating Instrument binnacle cure

Posted 1 day 22 hours ago #207455
+1 for the reliance on the expanding inserts being a poor design. On both of mine they had caused the front rim of the binnacle to crack. On my current TF I reinforced the plastic rim with some short length of metal  , bitsI had left over from fitting a car stereo ( looks pretty much like strips of meccano ).

If you do need the inserts though then Darren at Bitz has some 2nd hand ones

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Last Edit:1 day 22 hours ago by Notanumber
Last edit: 1 day 22 hours ago by Notanumber.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Delbourt on topic Vibrating Instrument binnacle cure

Posted 1 day 21 hours ago #207458
Thank you all for the suggestions. After a good sleep and refreshed I had another look with sunlight shining from a slightly different angle and found the thing.
I’m waiting for some suitable 2 pack glue to arrive and will bond them in for now.
Rivnuts sound a good idea but you do need the tool to pull to form the clinch.

Now, how in the name of what’s his name do you part the top half of the steering wheel nacelle from the bottom?
Which half has to be squeezed to release it from the other half?
Can anyone help with that.?
It is now obvious that you need that top half removing to give enough room to withdraw the instrument panel surround away from the instruments so that it disengages from the clips at the bottom of the instrument covering clear face.

Replied by Airportable on topic Vibrating Instrument binnacle cure

Posted 1 day 19 hours ago #207463
Don’t bother with the rivnut tool, you’ll be right out of the frying pan, use your two pack epoxy. I had some square polypropylene rod, slightly oversized, which I chucked in the lathe & bored out to take the rivnut & filed to fit but most folk won’t have that luxury + I’m a dick when it comes to stuff like that; chose the most complicated method.
You can easily glue in the ‘nuts but do make sure they align.
M

Posted 1 day 19 hours ago #207464
Oh & the nacelles (nice use of the correct terminology), just worry the buggers until they come apart. You have gravity on your side when they are coming off, wait until you’re putting them back around the key aperture.
M

Posted 1 day 18 hours ago #207467
Hmm, I don’t have much luck with plastic bits. But the thought of bonding on additional stiffeners is interesting.
Might consider bonding on some extra “stuff” at the front end with the thought of a few more holes and pegs if I could think of a means of alignment.

Replied by David Aiketgate on topic Vibrating Instrument binnacle cure

Posted 1 day 18 hours ago #207470

Airportable wrote: Oh & the nacelles (nice use of the correct terminology), just worry the buggers until they come apart. You have gravity on your side when they are coming off, wait until you’re putting them back around the key aperture.
M

As long as you've remembered to take the screws out, that is...

David
:shrug:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Posted 1 day 17 hours ago #207471
Ahh, so the bottom comes off first does it?
The two screws nearest the wheel are about 22mm long so certainly don’t engage with the top half.
I have yet to take out the one nearest the front of the car.

Posted 1 day 17 hours ago #207472
Yes, how often to you see a bit of advice where the twit offering the recommendation omits the most obvious part.
Thank you David, I am that twit.
One handy modification is to replace the pozidrive screws with Allen key socket heads. These are so much easier to guide into place than a wobbly screw dancing on the end of a screwdriver.
M
The following user(s) said Thank You: David Aiketgate

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds