Vibrating Instrument binnacle cure

Replied by Airportable on topic Vibrating Instrument binnacle cure

Posted 1 day 6 hours ago #207514
To remove the central vent; a broad paint scraper tucked inter the bottom edge of the moulding & using the surrounding dash as a fulcrum, ease the unit out. Originally the seal was foam rubber but in all probability that will have disintegrated, so little or no resistance should be expected.
I have a flexible grabber (expect a comment from Cobber), into which I insert a small magnet, this forms around the curves with no problem. It’s a couple of foot long (wait for it) with a claw on the end, available off eBay & an invaluable addition to a tool kit. Especially if like me you use & drop a lot of stainless nuts & screws in places which are difficult to access
M
The following user(s) said Thank You: Delbourt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Delbourt on topic Vibrating Instrument binnacle cure

Posted 1 day 5 hours ago #207515
Thank you for the responses, most helpful.
I have also googled/youtubed that topic. The example used something like a bicycle tyre lever. I had a tool like that which came with dash cam supply cable fitting kit.
That together with some ice lollipop sticks did the job.

Totally agree about the disintegration of the foam. The remains of that will have to be cleaned out, and something put in its place.

So far one screw removed and recovered.
Just have to work out a way of putting the binnacle back such that it doesn’t move/rattle. 

• Cobber
  • Cobber's Avatar Online
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

Replied by Cobber on topic Vibrating Instrument binnacle cure

Posted 1 day 3 hours ago #207517

Airportable wrote: To remove the central vent; a broad paint scraper tucked inter the bottom edge of the moulding & using the surrounding dash as a fulcrum, ease the unit out. Originally the seal was foam rubber but in all probability that will have disintegrated, so little or no resistance should be expected.
I have a flexible grabber (expect a comment from Cobber), into which I insert a small magnet, this forms around the curves with no problem. It’s a couple of foot long (wait for it) with a claw on the end, available off eBay & an invaluable addition to a tool kit. Especially if like me you use & drop a lot of stainless nuts & screws in places which are difficult to access 
M

A couple of foot long…..now you’re bragging!
Reminds me of the old gag……”It’s a foot long, but I don’t use it as a rule!”

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

by Cobber
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Replied by Airportable on topic Vibrating Instrument binnacle cure

Posted 14 hours 18 minutes ago #207519
Which ever way you decide to fix & subdue the instrument cover, do make sure it is easily removed. How you’re expected to remove the connectors from the display to facilitate its extraction is beyond me, I suspect that the amount of damage to the covers on so many of our vehicles is a direct result of mechanics hands rooting around in too smaller space. Trying to resolve a poor connection or a failed lamp could easily reduce the cover to a shattered version of its former self.
M

Time to create page: 0.457 seconds