Door rattle

Door rattle was created by generous_dad

Posted 3 months 1 week ago #207563
Driver side door rattle has developed after a long run to the New Forest at the weekend.
after taking the door trim off, what should I be looking for first.
The rattle seems to be near the rear of the door, close to the lock and is metallic.
Is there a rod from the open lever to the lock area? Prone to losing a bush/washer or something like that?
Any previous experience would save me hunting in the wrong place. Ta.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Notanumber on topic Door rattle

Posted 3 months 1 week ago #207566
There's not a regularly occurring known fault that results in sudden door rattles so it would be a case of operating the lockks to check whether any linkages have come loose and then generally feel inside the door cavity for anything that is loose

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Replied by generous_dad on topic Door rattle

Posted 3 months 1 week ago #207568
OK, will do. Rain permitting.

Replied by Notanumber on topic Door rattle

Posted 3 months 1 week ago #207576
I know what you mean, it's proving quite a challenge working around the rain this year in the UK. Just a thought but the adjustable window stop might have worked loose. If it's bolt is slightly loose the end stop bracket can rotate where it would then rattle quite badly. You could check this before you take the door card off by winding the window up and down to it's full extent with the door open. If the window is too high to comfortably close the door with the soft top in place that could be it.

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Replied by generous_dad on topic Door rattle

Posted 3 months 1 week ago #207582
And there is the value of the forum. Much appreciated Nota.
I have a couple of door stops in stock. This Saturday looks to be dry.

Replied by EllisoJo on topic Door rattle

Posted 3 months 1 week ago #207589
In the early days of my TF ownership, I used to suffer from a loud clunking rattle from the driver's door.  When I remove the liner and rain excluding plastic, I found that the rear guide had either fallen off or was never installed.  It was lying in the bottom of the door (see first photo below.)  The part, after cleaning is in pic 2 and the blue plastic sheath which fits between the guide and the glass is in the last picture, mounted in the correct place before I replaced the cast guide block.  I was surprised by how heavy that cast lump of (Mazak??) guide block was.  I still have minor rattles from the door, but nothing like as bad as before replacing the heavy guide block.
Last Edit:3 months 6 days ago by EllisoJo
Last edit: 3 months 6 days ago by David Aiketgate. Reason: Removed duplicates

Time to create page: 0.515 seconds