Classic car ins.

Classic car ins. was created by digcot65

Posted 1 month 3 weeks ago #207678
Hello I havent finished restoring the TF as yet ,but Im looking at classic car insurance which is scary .I realise that a 86 years old premiums are going to be higher (for some reason ) Is there an insurance company anyone car recommend .I f the policies are going to be unreasonable ,when I finish the car then sadly I will have to sell it even after all the work I will have done I did buy the TF to have something to do with the hope I could have some pleasure out of it before selling on but not at any cost Len

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by R40MGF on topic Classic car ins.

Posted 1 month 3 weeks ago #207679
Hi Len, I used a comparison site when I was looking for insurance after my rebuild. 
It maybe worth a look because I got 12 months fully comprehensive for less than £100. That was based on a 58 year old doing 4K miles per year with a clean  license.

by R40MGF

Replied by Notanumber on topic Classic car ins.

Posted 1 month 3 weeks ago #207681
I didnt realise comparison sites included classic policies. They didn't when I tried a few years ago. Which did you go to ?

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Replied by R40MGF on topic Classic car ins.

Posted 1 month 3 weeks ago #207682
I didn't think that a modern TF or even a F would be considered as a classic, not just yet anyway.

by R40MGF

Replied by Airportable on topic Classic car ins.

Posted 1 month 3 weeks ago #207683
I think we need to know who your underwriter is, that seems good value, especially for a young & inexperienced driver(!).
M

Posted 1 month 3 weeks ago #207684
Yes, most of the classic car insurers are happy to cover Fs and TFs on a classic policy.
Ive not shopped for classic insurance for years as ive kept the same classic policy going with Lancasters for several years now. I first had it on an old Mercedes then an injection capri and when i sold that i  moved it to my (currently immobile) MGB project car to keep the policy going until I bought my first TF a 2002 115. There was no issue with eligibility and the price stayed just the same as for the MGB. I later then moved the policy to my present 2003 135 when i sold the115  again no problem with eligibility, just a change of vehicle admin fee. 

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Replied by digcot65 on topic Classic car ins.

Posted 1 month 2 weeks ago #207687
Morning one of the problems I have,besides my age is that I was involved in an accident last year .I was driving north on the M6 ,when there was what sounded like an explosion and the car went out of control spinning round .I managed to get it under control and parked on the hard shoulder .When I got out and looked round the car,the rear O/S 1/4 was badly damaged ,I realised I had been hit ,fortunately the car was still drivable so I drove on to catch up with the other driver ,who fortunately had stopped a short way up .Cutting it short he said he thought I had taken the slip road to leave the motorway as he couldnt see me..I was paid out by my insurers ,but since the other drivers insurers havent settled the costs with mine the case is still open  One insurer said it will make a huge difference once settled ,so we`ll see.But if it takes ages  then I will have to sell the TF even after all the work Ive done Len

Posted 1 month 2 weeks ago #207688
Ive had a thought on this Len. Please check your PM

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Replied by MGB281 on topic Classic car ins.

Posted 1 month 2 weeks ago #207691
I would recommend having the legal cover added to any car insurance policy these days. In November 2022 I was driving my wife’s car around a roundabout on the outside lane when a car on the inside lane decided to exit by cutting across in front of me. Although the other car only just clipped the offside bumper the car was written off. My wife’s insurance company is pursuing the other drivers insurance company to get our excess and their  settlement money through the courts. I am not sure if they would bother without the legal cover. 
by MGB281

Replied by Airportable on topic Classic car ins.

Posted 1 month 2 weeks ago #207693
If we are going to end up with road pricing, those of us who own & look after our cars should be given special lanes to use, akin to bus lanes. The rest can fight over what’s left, much in the same way as they fight over all of it now.
That arrangement should re-evaluate insurance premiums.
Just a thought.
M

Posted 1 month 2 weeks ago #207714
Besides my age ,the main problem regarding the hike in insurance is due to me having an accidenT  on the M6 A huge lorry driver couldnt see us and the driver thought we had taken the slip road and left the motorway The lorry then wrote my car off.   I had a firm of solicitors contact me last week ,who are representing the insurers at the time of the accident.Apparently,the guilts party`s insurers haven`t paid and they are being taken to court . Since they havent paid the case is classed as being still open and my fault So Ill have to see if its settled in the not too distant future,if not then Im going to have to sell the  MGTF I bought it as a project and its kept me busy no time not wasted It will be a shame after ive so far spent a year getting everything right .Len

Posted 1 month 2 weeks ago #207721
Silly question whats my PM Len

Time to create page: 0.574 seconds