Words of wisdom please.

Words of wisdom please. was created by Airportable

Posted 1 month 6 days ago #208027
Good morning my Brothers in Cars. I know this is the home of all knowledge on our beloved little cars. These motorised metal devices from which we derive such pleasure & also an amount of pain. 
And now I wish to solicit knowledge on wheel & to a lesser degree tyres. 
I need to replace my rear tyres, which are Falken, these have been no problem & so you would have thought that to replace them with the same would be obvious. 
A couple of these would set me back in excess of £100, which happens to be the price I paid for four Team Dynamics 17” wheels with virtually new Proxy’s  
Im not crowing about this (although I can’t help feeling a little smug), what advice would owners of 17” wheeled cars give to a new member of your circle?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replied by Notanumber on topic Words of wisdom please.

Posted 1 month 6 days ago #208033
The best combination of ecconomy & quality could be a pair of part worn Proxies or Falkens. Darren often has them

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Replied by D4KGP on topic Words of wisdom please.

Posted 3 weeks 3 days ago #208219
Hi have you sourced/sorted this now? I don't think that £50 per foot is excessive ... and I would never consider used tyres. The same as my children never had S/H shoes! Never worth it!!
Regards D4KGP (Glyn)
by D4KGP

Replied by Notanumber on topic Words of wisdom please.

Posted 3 weeks 3 days ago #208221
Ah, to have gone through life never having to economise. That must be blissful

2003 TF 135 sunstorm

Replied by Airportable on topic Words of wisdom please.

Posted 3 weeks 3 days ago #208222
My car is now well shod & apart from a slight rubbing on the plastic under arch liners, whilst on full lock & a harder ride due to the lower tyre profile. I still have to fit my replacement spheres (regular followers will be sick of me saying this), once fitted I’ll juggle with ride hight & I’ll make appropriate spacers. 
The tyres are indistinguishable from straight off the rack & the rims, although not brand new, after all they are the correct PCD & it’s a good while since a vehicle was made with that spacing, they have cleaned up well. 
I’ll add a picture or two. 
M
Last Edit:3 weeks 3 days ago by Airportable
Last edit: 3 weeks 3 days ago by Cobber.

Posted 3 weeks 3 days ago #208223
Always had to when growing up in the 50s like lots of other's, I was 13 and out in any spare time earning a shilling or two to help my parents bring up my siblings, when you were born in the prosperous 60s.
Regards as always D4KGP (Glyn)
by D4KGP

Posted 3 weeks 3 days ago #208224
Good, I need to get my Fs spheres re gassed at some point, but first I must fit the low coolant alarm that I purchased a month ago. Regards D4KGP (Glyn)
by D4KGP

Posted 3 weeks 3 days ago #208226
Growing up through the fifties & through the sixties was, I hind sight, a great period, at least for me & my contemporaries.
Scouting & in my wife’s case Guiding opened up so many avenues to explore, a bike was a safe means of transport, providing you didn’t act like an arse & with your Saturday job money saved in a savings device which loaded itself by ear twisting & arm raising*.
And whilst saving up you could salivate over the cars which would become unobtainable in the intervening years.
Your first £100 saved or cadged bought you a Ford 100e or a Morris minor, it’s then your oily education commenced.
Which brings us together in our automotive pensioners petrol party.
That’ll do me although you can’t now refer to that money box by its original name.
M

Posted 3 weeks 3 days ago #208227
On the regasing of spheres. This can be approached from two directions; firstly & by a long way the most popular is the welding on of a valve. However you can have them refilled in the original manner & by a chap who used the equipment, designed by Dunlop, to do the job originally.
This is the direction I went in.
The chap lived in Stockport & it wouldn’t take long to track him down, he has YouTube videos on the subject, these are a must to watch.
As I’m off galavanting again I can’t look the info up, it’s a hundred & fifty miles away.
M
The following user(s) said Thank You: D4KGP

Posted 3 weeks 3 days ago #208229
You had a bike ... my you were sooo rich! Anyway re spheres I think that's the same chap that I've been considering to do mine, but that job will have to wait as I'm expecting delivery of the TF 160 VVC in the next couple of days and that will keep me occupied for a while. Fitted the low coolant alarm on my F earlier that I put off for a month, all seems ok I'll give it a drive out tomorrow after the Araldite cures overnight. By the way those wheels and tyres look in great condition.
Regards D4KGP (Glyn)
by D4KGP
The following user(s) said Thank You: Airportable

Posted 3 weeks 3 days ago #208232
To gain your radio license you
have to be able to differentiate between the hot end of a soldering iron from the cold.
Using the artisan skills did you home brew your own low coolant alarm & if so which route did you take?

Replied by Delbourt on topic Words of wisdom please.

Posted 3 weeks 2 days ago #208235
Not sure which way this thread is heading but with regards to coolant alarms I fitted the version produced by Bruce of these pages that I  purchased off eBay .
To try it out after bonding the sensor to the tank I powered it from the boot light supply. A number of runs out “up hill and down dale” gave confidence and I eventually wired it as suggested in the instructions with the audible alarm fitted behind the seat under the carpet. My hearing is not the best but that alarm is good enough to not be missed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: D4KGP

Time to create page: 0.645 seconds