Sticky gear stick

Sticky gear stick was created by sean79

Posted 1 day 17 hours ago #208933
Hi, I've searched forum and can't find an answer so I hope one of you great people can help.
One of my gear selector cables snapped so I have had both long and short cables replaced. Since then, the gear stick it pretty stiff now, as an example, I go to put it into 1st from neutral and the gear stick will not automatically spring back to neutral. Also, 3rd gear seems to be very slightly out of alignment, not directly up from neutral, it's slightly more right. Everything was perfectly fine before the cable snapped. Could this just be a case of the cables being too tight or something more serious? When the cable broke I was in 2nd and drove it back home which was roughly half a mile, by time I got back, there was a slight burning smell but nothing to overpowering.
I have drove it for several miles up and down duel carriage way, which wasn't exactly slow and I don't get any burning smell or any strange noises.
Any advice, greatly appreciated as I'm no mechanic (an actual mechanic did the cables)

Many thanks
Sean
by sean79

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Cobber
  • Away
  • '97 MGF 1.8 MPI

Replied by Cobber on topic Sticky gear stick

Posted 1 day 16 hours ago #208937
Sounds like an adjustment issue, maybe the cables could use some lubrication with a spray on dry moly lube, getting it to soak in on  the already fitted cables may be a problem though.
It sprays on wet as the moly is suspended in a solvent which evaporates to leave a dry film of moly lube, which is good as dirt and muck doesn't stick to it.

"Keep calm, relax, focus on the problem & PULL THE BLOODY TRIGGER"

Last Edit:1 day 16 hours ago by Cobber
Last edit: 1 day 16 hours ago by Cobber.

Replied by Airportable on topic Sticky gear stick

Posted 1 day 13 hours ago #208943
Take it back to whoever did the job, you paid for a repair & it isn’t correct. Keep taking it back until you are satisfied.
Your failure scenario mirrors, in most details, what happened with mine car & I accept changing the cables is first degree arse ache, it took me a while to adjust mine to my satisfaction, once fitted.
I’m an enthusiast amateur & might be expected to change maybe a couple, a professional should be proficient & hand your car back to within a few points of a degree, as it was before the failure.
M

Time to create page: 0.468 seconds